CX-9 Smart Transmission?

mzd

:
Mazda CX-9 GT FWD 2012
I was cruising at 70 mph on a downward slope which was twisty at the same time. I had to brake to slow down to about 60 and while doing that, after braking a second time, I saw the transmission was shifting into 5th and then as the car was going to get faster due to the slope, it then shifted again into 4th to maintain that 60 ish speed. I think it was amazing, as with other cars of mine I had to either stepped on the brakes constantly or switched off overdrive to slow down the car. I our CX-9 transmission smart or is it just a coincidence?

Good question. I'm told it's not unusual for modern computer aided transmissions to record and learn our driving habits, in order to determine the ideal shift points and god knows what else.

You could see how multiple drivers (Yin/Yang) would challenge a system like this.

But when a car can sense the road, maintain traction, monitor your tire inflation and electronically adjust for body roll as you hard corner, it would not surprise me that it performed that shifting trick for you as well.

It is most likely the "grade logic" for the transmission at work.
These modern transmissions are trainable based on preset parameters from
factory. Once any battery terminal is disconnected, those parameter settings are lost. You have
to retrain it from factory preset parameters.

My friend fights a lot with the "brain" in his subaru, which gets bipolar whenever he occasionally hooks up his trailer and hauls his boat over the hill. It's the opposite of "smart" and pretty funny to watch.

Maybe the "brain" of his Subaru does not recognize a trailer.
CX9 with Tow package has special tuning in ECU that handles trailers better.
This includes:
1) avoid fishtailing
2) delay gear changes
(AFAIK)

Latest posts

Back