CX-9 Remote start- cars starts that shuts off

Motodeficient

:
2011 Mazda CX-9
Hello!

We purchased a 2011 CX-9 a couple months ago. The car has the Mazda remote start options installed.

We cannot get the remote start to operate properly. With no other FOBs in the vehicle, I lock the car remotely, push the start button twice on the seperate remote start fob. The car does a soft beep then starts, and shuts off a couple seconds later.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Then, it is the remote start system.
At least you know it is not the starter or related system like idle control valve.

I stumbled across a button in the driver's foot well on the left side wall by the brake pedal. According to this thread I started last year, the info I got referred to it as a reset/programming button for the remote start option. Might be something there you can do to reset your system. Nothing in the owner's manual on my '12 that I can find for how to use it.

My remote start system does one short honk, headlights go on, engine starts, then another short beep.

Here's the thread if that link doesn't work: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123827687-Mystery-switch-in-driver-s-foot-well

Cheers, BuffFan

I just installed the the factory remote start in a 2014 last month. On the install instructions, they have a troubleshooting guide if the system doesn't start. Every scenario is "horn beeps "X" times and Car Does Not Start." There is nothing listed for "Car Starts and Then Shuts Down." Everything is checked before it starts and if something is not right, then it won't start. So I think that most of your connections are good since it starts.

However, one thing comes to mind. The remote start module monitors the tachometer signal. That would be one of the only things that the system couldn't check before it starts the car. So perhaps you have a broken connection there and the remote start is unable to determine that the engine is running; so it turns it off. This is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

If you want to check out that wire, it should be tapped under the hood at the ECM. Below are a few pics. It's a white wire with a black stripe. You will probably need to pull the battery to gain access.

Here is the ECM and harness. The tap might have some silicone sealant around it and will probably be taped up and have some wire loom around it. So you will need to untape and dig it out.

IMG_7149-L.jpg

And here is the wire tap on it....

IMG_7143-L.jpg

Here is a drawing in case anybody with an earlier model reads this and is looking for this tach signal wire.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-02%20at%2010.20.06%20PM.png

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back