CX-9 Is It Good? How do you like it?

Pilots may not have transfer case issues like the CX-9 but they do have Variable Cylinder Management which destroys the hydraulic motor mounts and creates an annoying cabin vibration - at least Mazda covers the transfer case failures. I had a 2012 Odyssey (which uses the same VCM technology) and the motor mounts failed - 3 different Honda dealers said "we don't cover worn motor mounts - that's just normal wear & tear Dude." Each dealer also said the cabin vibration is a normal characteristic of VCM operation.

They did however tip their hands somewhat by admiting that replacing the motor mounts would reduce the cabin vibration. Then they hit me with the kill shot - each of the 3 worn (aka failed) motor mounts were over $500 apiece plus $500+ in labor. As much as I was in love with the Odyssey's class-leading design and style, I dumped the money pit and bought my 2012 CX-9 GT.

I change my transfer case oil when I change my engine oil - no big deal. This beautiful, sporty-handling multi-purpose vehicle should last until I decide to replace it - crappy Ford components and all...

I sat in the new Pilot today at the auto show , the driver's armrest was just PLAIN AWFUL, how did Honda chief engineer approve this, the angle and lack of real estate for the driver's arm was such a failure in ergonomics, I had to keep concentrating to balance and for my arm not to fall off the arm rest like a balance beam, plus the angle is jutting up at such an awkward angle, I can't imagine driving on a long trip with that hideous thing in the down position, I would rather go without the armrest and swing it up out of the way than try to balance on it thru the whole trip.

Last edited:
i'm a graphic / user interface designer. so the whole ergonomics / usability thing is a huge deal for me. if there are two or three things that i consider poorly thought out. i'll write off a car entirely. like my wife's 2012 audi a4. it's a nice driver. but it's a usability train wreck. have to pay $80 just to get a crappy proprietary cable to attach your smartphone (which has to be left in the phoquing glovebox?) armrests are in the wrong place, sunroof and garage opener controls are way too far back. the list goes on...

recently, my beloved 2002 mitsubishi montero sport told me that it had had enough. so i needed to replace it QUICKLY. so i went to the local carmax (best place to interview a large variety of vehicles in a short amount of time - and without seventeen sales guys calling you every thirty minutes). my first choice was a jeep grand cherokee laredo. but learned very quickly that the extra $10,000 that separated the laredo from the limited, made a HUGE difference in driver experience. moved on to a ford edge, ford transit (video is a big part of my work. so cargo capacity matters) various hyundai, nissan, toyota, .... each was just one compromise of performance vs price vs comfort after another...

the cx-9 was the first one i got into and said "oh. ok. this makes sense." everything was (more or less) where it should be. controls made sense. gauges didn't look gimicky. didn't need a lesson in origami to fold the seats down... had FAR better accelerator response than any of the others i'd driven. better handling without feeling too stiff.

being the "grand touring" model, it was a little more "luxury" than i was shopping for. but since it didn't offend me in areas where others did. it won me over.

based on five hours there at carmax. it would have taken an additional nearly $10,000 to get into something i liked more (grand cherokee LIMITED at $34,000)

so far (9 days in) my only complaints are:
- the rear view camera is pretty blurry / grainy and there is no audible proximity warning
- the audio / nav interface is 0% better and only marginally more useful than our 2005 prius
- the power lift gate is a little picky in the scenarios it will allow you to open it
- the gas mileage is pretty dismal at an average of 17 : (

there was one or several things about every other vehicle i drove in the $18,000-$25,000 price range that i hated. so overall, and so far, i'm pleased.

Last edited:
....there is no audible proximity warning

really ? I have an audible proximity warning when I parallel park and the rear is close to another car

did you check if your Park Assist in on and button LED is lit ? You have a grand touring.....you should have this feature....

really ? I have an audible proximity warning when I parallel park and the rear is close to another car

did you check if your Park Assist in on and button LED is lit ? You have a grand touring.....you should have this feature....

There's no parking sonar available on a '12.

I love my 2014 CX-9. I really like how smooth and quiet the engine and transmission is.

I was looking for a 3 row SUV and was really interested in the all new 2016 Honda Pilot. I test drove one with the 6 speed transmission and loved it. But then I started reading the Pilot Forums and found out all its problems. (I do understand that often car forums mostly are used by the complainers, so one needs to read them and sift the real items from the things that really bug only one individual). Hundreds of owners cannot all be wrong about the Pilot FM radio; it apparently is really sub-standard for a 40k vehicle.

My CX-9 Bose stereo is one of the reasons I bought my used 2014 – it is just great!

Pilot owners also dislike the tiny armrests, (I love the massively comfortable armrests on both sides of my CX-9, between those armrests and the wonderful front seats, this must be the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.).

Also love the large twist-dials that control the HVAC(Which is outstanding). The logical way the HVAC works is super, and the AC really works great here in Florida. Also like the headlights and the ability to adjust them from inside.

I am however really interested in getting an SUV with all the latest driver assist packages (Like auto-braking, Lane keep assist, and collision mitigation, like Honda offers), so I will be very interested in the all new CX-9 (Which my dealer says won’t arrive here in Florida until August).

While it is true that the body styling of the current crop of CX-9’s has been around for many years, one reason is that they were one of the best styled SUV’s on the road when they came out, AND REMAIN SO! Seeing the new CX-9 at the Detroit Auto Show, it is clear that Mazda realizes that they have a winner in looks, and didn’t change the exterior all that much!

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. I also said I didn't like the '12 Pilot--are you comparing the new '16 Pilot to the '14 CX-9, or to a '14 Pilot?

Sorry, let me clarify. When we were looking for a vehicle, we looked at several. My wife thought that the 2014 CX-9 was better than the current Highlander and Pilot at the time. She spent less than 60 seconds sitting in the Pilot and did not like it. Didn't like the layout, the way it felt, just didn't like it. And the Highlander was too boring for her. She really liked the CX-9 for the "zoom zoom" factor, though she won't admit it. She has a bit of a lead foot but for the sake of my marriage I don't dare mention it :)

The CX-9 has served us well for the first 25k miles of its life. My only disappointment is the tom tom nav system. We've always used Garmin units and the tom tom interface is a little clumsy and not as easy to use.

I sold my Jeep Wrangler in early July, I have been driving my mom's 2009 CX-9 since then and I am actually enjoying it a lot. It is definitely a great vehicle. Very nice interior and a very very nice drive. It handles like a much smaller car, and it can accelerate much faster than the Wrangler could. It's the perfect family vehicle, and the 2016 coming out is one of the best looking cars I have ever seen. I should note that I won't be driving this car for too long, I am 22 and don't need a family SUV. However, I do love Mazda's and I am considering the Mazda6.

I spent about 3 weeks test driving 3 row SUVs and the CX-9 won out over the following:

Honda Pilot elite - has no soul

Toyota Highlander limited - even less soul and brutal interior

Volvo XC-90 T6 Momentum Plus w/ vision package and convenience: Sick Car. More features than the CX-9, laser cruise detects speed cameras, seats rock, turbo + S/C in an inline 4 - looks great inside and out. Nothing not to like except the 60K price tag....I paid 45 and change OTD for a signature - the base FWD T5 2 row XC-90 with nothing starts at 44K. You get leather that's about it. It wasn't worth another 15K to me to drive a Volvo.

Acura MDX w/tech - meh

CX-9 was the winner.

I spent about 3 weeks test driving 3 row SUVs and the CX-9 won out over the following:

Volvo XC-90 T6 Momentum Plus w/ vision package and convenience: Sick Car. More features than the CX-9, laser cruise detects speed cameras, seats rock, turbo + S/C in an inline 4 - looks great inside and out. Nothing not to like except the 60K price tag....I paid 45 and change OTD for a signature - the base FWD T5 2 row XC-90 with nothing starts at 44K. You get leather that's about it. It wasn't worth another 15K to me to drive a Volvo.

Acura MDX w/tech - meh

CX-9 was the winner.

How's the A/C?

How's the A/C?

It was terrible on my first test drive, but so far I have had no issues. if the car sits in 100 degree heat for a few hours it does take a while to cool down but it's not nearly as bad as I had originally thought. I have an appointment scheduled for front window tint and windshield UV blocker which should help even more. It is no longer a deal breaker.

Also, I have to say, I love driving this thing. Throttle response is awesome and I have had no issues passing on the freeway.

It was terrible on my first test drive, but so far I have had no issues. if the car sits in 100 degree heat for a few hours it does take a while to cool down but it's not nearly as bad as I had originally thought. I have an appointment scheduled for front window tint and windshield UV blocker which should help even more. It is no longer a deal breaker.

Also, I have to say, I love driving this thing. Throttle response is awesome and I have had no issues passing on the freeway.

Yes, It's amazing for passing on the freeway. This 310 lb-ft torque really matters from low rpms.

Acura MDX w/tech - meh

CX-9 was the winner.

I do the same before purchase my new cx9 turbo (I had the old cx9 v6). I test Pilot, Highlander, Acura and Pathfinder.

I don't test the Volvo because is not reliable. Lot of issues, expensive maintenance and is a headache to sell it when we need it in few years.

I do the same before purchase my new cx9 turbo (I had the old cx9 v6). I test Pilot, Highlander, Acura and Pathfinder.

I don't test the Volvo because is not reliable. Lot of issues, expensive maintenance and is a headache to sell it when we need it in few years.

just curious, so how you like the Pilot, Highlander, Acura and Pathfinder?

Like a lot of people here my wife and I test drove the full lot of competitors: MDX, Ford Explorer(Sport), Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and looked(but didn't drive) a couple others. Every vehicle is a compromise including the new CX-9. We are giving up some cubic feet of space vs. the others but being honest with ourselves the only time we totally pack our current SUV to the limit is on our annual camping trip and over the past 3 years we've been towing a utility trailer since we couldn't fit everything in the SUV anymore..so give up some interior volume isn't that big of a deal since we overflow into the utility trailer now anyway, and for all other needs there is still plenty of space. Outside of the others having more interior room we like everything else about the 2016 CX-9 better. The exterior and interior design were big wins and with the exception of the 3.5 twin turbo Ford we liked the throttle response on the CX-9 for the typical driving we do and we test drove it for a while over roads and routes we drive daily, and we drove if fully loaded with 7 passengers when we tested it. The bottom line is we thought it looked better and felt better in every way. We were willing to compromise on space and a couple of features we would have liked..that are very odd omissions, like a heated steering wheel (we live in MA.), We pick up our Signature this Saturday, the wife is pretty stoked.

Last edited:
All other 7 seater suvs look hideous to me. In fact I was going to hold out for the 2018 Tiguan since I only want the ability to take 7 if the situation arises without having to have a large SUV. I liked the idea of the Land Rover Discovery Sport but was not willing to take a chance on horrible reliability and expensive maintenance.

The CX-9 Signature fit the bill for me, although it's larger than the upcoming Tiguan. The interior has clean lines and feels somewhat German influenced. The exterior is beautiful.

The only thing that bothers me after the 2nd day of owning mine is the seat isn't as adjustable as most others and the command knob feels too far back it's awkward to reach, as if it were made for really short arms. Also the arm rest feels too high for me, especially on the door side (I'm average 5'10").

Things I wish it had:
- Door handle sensor unlock (grab the door handle and it unlocks)
- Heated steering wheel
- Electronic third row seat release (instead of pulling handle to fold down)
- Volume buttons and track buttons on the other side of the steering wheel (if I'm going to use one hand while driving, it will be my right hand as I'm sure it is with 80% of people, and I don't need to touch the cruise control buttons often).
- 8 way adjustable driver seat, not 6 way (this is the most annoying thing for a fully loaded trim). The fully loaded 2017 Mazda3 has 10-way adjustable seating!!! Come on!

Last edited:
It has the button on the door handle to unlock - is that to much effort ? :) I agree with you on the other stuff

It has the button on the door handle to unlock - is that to much effort ? :) I agree with you on the other stuff

funny you mention that, because i would've thought the same...but having had a lexus in the past, i got a little spoiled just reaching my hand in there and unlocking the door. not a huge deal, but it made more of a difference than i thought.

funny you mention that, because i would've thought the same...but having had a lexus in the past, i got a little spoiled just reaching my hand in there and unlocking the door. not a huge deal, but it made more of a difference than i thought.

Yes, my previous car was a 2013 Ford Edge, so I got used to that feature. I can let go of the keypad on the door, since no other automaker has that (I do miss that though)...but it's going to take some getting used to, to unlock the car LOL. It's now a 2 step process (lol2)

Back