2007~2015 CX-9 Headunit Upgrade

:
2009 Mazda CX-9 GT
Finally got around to getting my new headunit installed. Bought it a few months ago, and due to health issues, decided to swallow my pride and have a pro the install. Nothing like sitting around for hours waiting for this to be ready. :)

Parts used:
Kenwood DDX9707S headunit
Metra 99-7516B dash kit
Axxess AXBUCHMZ6V reverse camera retention
Pac-Audio RP4-MZ11 radio harness/interface
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR radio interface

Doing it with these parts retains all the OE functions lost when removing the factory headunit. The Maestro can be left out, as its only roll is to display the gauges.

Stereo_015.JPG

Stereo_025.JPG

Stereo_021.JPG

Stereo_032.JPG

Stereo_029.JPG

Stereo_040.JPG

Stereo_041.JPG

Stereo_042.JPG

Stereo_043.JPG

All in all I like it. Still messing with the million settings. :ROFLMAO:

The gauges are cool, but won't display transmission temp, which I like to monitor. Still deciding whether to go back to my bluetooth dongle/iPhone/OBD Fusion display or not.

I have to run the microphone up to the stock location and graft it into place, and make a mount for the 3mm audio and 2nd USB plugs. Will post all that whenever those get done.

Last edited:
You're running both the Maestro RR and the RP4?

I ask, because the Maestro does everything the RP4 does, but the RP4 only does some of the things the Maestro does (like your gauges). Because you have the Maestro, you didn't need to purchase the PAC part at all.

Also, did they set up the steering wheel controls where you can long press the buttons? Because that's an option. For example, you can have it set where a long press of Track Up actually does Album Up. Or a long press of Volume Down does mute. Super nice feature.

I'm running similar setups in both of my Mazdas. I have a DDX8706S in the wife's Mazda5 with the PAC RP4, and I have a DDX8905S in my CX-5 with the Maestro. Those Kenwoods are absolutely fantastic radios, best I've ever used. And this is coming from a Diehard Alpine fanboy going back to 1991, when I wouldn't even consider anything other than an Alpine.

You're running both the Maestro RR and the RP4?
Yes.

I ask, because the Maestro does everything the RP4 does,
False.

but the RP4 only does some of the things the Maestro does (like your gauges).
Guessing you reversed that. The Maestro does the gauges, and it doesn't do things that the RP4 does..

Because you have the Maestro, you didn't need to purchase the PAC part at all.
False.

Also, did they set up the steering wheel controls where you can long press the buttons? Because that's an option. For example, you can have it set where a long press of Track Up actually does Album Up. Or a long press of Volume Down does mute. Super nice feature.
No. I will be doing that later.

The RP4 harness is required to retain the OE clock, A/C (on newer 9's), and the added bonus is it you can change the text on the OE LCD display. If you don't care about these features, then sure, you can run just the Maestro. I prefer to retain as many OE features as possible, so the RP4 as a no brainer. The Maestro only cost me $130, so not a huge expense. And I know if I didn't get the Maestro now, it would kill me wondering if I should get it, and would eventually get it.

Back