2016~2023 CX-9 have a Sound Tube?

Not that we know off. Altough a member here said he found the 2021 has more engine noise in the cabin than previous years, a new sound tube could be the reason, but that is just a theory and it could be a lot of other factors. There Hasn’t been evidence of a sound tube in the CX-9 yet.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I was just wondering. The little blue "SUV" in my avatar is my first Mazda. It was a 1965 if I remember correctly. I drove that thing all over Japan. It wouldn't quit.

Upvote 0
A sound tube is a pipe that is used to relay sounds from the engine compartment into the cabin. This is usually used to enhance the engine note to the driver. The miata for example have one.
I just don't get the thinking behind this "feature". I mean, who thought this was a good idea?
Maybe in a Mustang, Camaro or an Aston- Martin Vantage, but not in a family hauler like the CX-5 or 9, or the 6 sedan.
People used to complain that the earlier Mazda's weren't quiet enough, and now we're talking about piped in noise?
If I'm on a long trip on the interstate, I want a quiet cabin and not some constant engine drone in my ears for hours on end. I mean, really?

Upvote 0
Don’t the newer CX9s have a different axle back? Or is it just different tips? The tips are bigger. It changed either in the 2020 MY or this 2021 MY.

Upvote 0
I just don't get the thinking behind this "feature". I mean, who thought this was a good idea?
Maybe in a Mustang, Camaro or an Aston- Martin Vantage, but not in a family hauler like the CX-5 or 9, or the 6 sedan.
People used to complain that the earlier Mazda's weren't quiet enough, and now we're talking about piped in noise?
If I'm on a long trip on the interstate, I want a quiet cabin and not some constant engine drone in my ears for hours on end. I mean, really?

To be clear. No one said this was actually done on the CX 9 or a CX-5. Just one member here compared his 2021 to his 2018 and noticed it was louder. Lot of people swap their exhaust for more engine note. Lot of people complains their turbo engine sounds like crap compared to naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. There are lots of tricks in the book to make engine sounds nicer (resonators, sound tubes, fake engine sound through the sound system, etc). Too quiet isn’t always better.

Upvote 0
To be clear. No one said this was actually done on the CX 9 or a CX-5. Just one member here compared his 2021 to his 2018 and noticed it was louder. Lot of people swap their exhaust for more engine note. Lot of people complains their turbo engine sounds like crap compared to naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. There are lots of tricks in the book to make engine sounds nicer (resonators, sound tubes, fake engine sound through the sound system, etc). Too quiet isn’t always better.
Hey I get it. It all comes down to personal taste.
I went through the noisy-is-better stage in my younger days too.
I always liked the intake sounds of a N/A engine. I used to flip the air cleaner lid upside down on my old Pontiac 350 so that you could hear the 4 barrel intake.
What I quietly object to is the newer trend to pipe in fake engine sounds through the stereo system.
It might sound good to the driver when he has the windows closed, but to anyone outside the vehicle, it still sounds like a tin can. I'd rather have legit engine noise than the fake stuff.

Upvote 0
Back