CX-9 chirping sound

Hi, i have mazda cx9 2012. For the last few weeks, there is a chirping sound coming from front right wheel. I went to mechanic, he checked everything but could not find the real cause. What i noticed is that the sound is continuous on high speed, not related to bumpy roads. Moreover, when i press brakes, it goes away, as soon as i release brake, the sound starts again. I recently got brake pads changed, but it did not resolve the problem, what else can in brakes? Any idea or experience with this type of issue? Plz have a look at the link below:

This is pretty loud and doesn’t sound cyclical. Are you sure it is coming from the wheel ? If it is only at high speed it may be caused by vibrations or by the wind. It is hard to diagnose based on the video only.

If it is as loud as it seems then i would try to have someone outside during a drive by to see if they can hear it from the outside. If they can’t then it may not be the wheel or brakes. Also if you open the window does that sound get louder ?

Almost sounds like a wind noise to me. Have you checked all of your rubber seals around the windows, doors, and windshield? Just a thought...

It's the chock absorber mount going bad and you need to change it, it's a common problem with 1st gen cx-9s. You can test by uncovering it under the hood and spray a generous amount of any lubricant like WD-40 on it, if the sound disappear than it needs to be replaced. Good luck.

It's the chock absorber mount going bad and you need to change it, it's a common problem with 1st gen cx-9s. You can test by uncovering it under the hood and spray a generous amount of any lubricant like WD-40 on it, if the sound disappear than it needs to be replaced. Good luck.
Thanks.. will try this. As I understand, you are talking about strut mount which is making this noise?

Last edited:
That is the exact same noise that i am having. I had posted about this. I have pretty new monroe quick struts on the car. Tultra please let me know if you find a solution to this problem. It is very annoying. It is also on the same side the passenger side.

You are right. I went to mechanic and lubricated shock mount. Surprisingly the noise disappeared. I drive more than 100 km, it was quiet and smooth. Till now i did not replace the mount, but i will once the sound appears again. Thanks wosman.. you are champ..💯💯

That is the exact same noise that i am having. I had posted about this. I have pretty new monroe quick struts on the car. Tultra please let me know if you find a solution to this problem. It is very annoying. It is also on the same side the passenger side.

Please check shock absorber mount, as wosman mentioned. Lubrication worked.. good luck

You are right. I went to mechanic and lubricated shock mount. Surprisingly the noise disappeared. I drive more than 100 km, it was quiet and smooth. Till now i did not replace the mount, but i will once the sound appears again. Thanks wosman.. you are champ..💯💯
Great 👍

The strut mount contains a thrust bearing. It carries the weight of that corner of the car while it allows the suspension to turn for cornering. The bearing will eventually fail, or other parts of it may loosen. Yep, change them when you put in new struts.

Did you ever get the strut mounts replaced? Were the strut mounts the only issue for this sound? I have the exact same noise on my cx-9.

2013 CX-9 with 120,000 miles. Chirping noise occurred after I replaced the front shocks/springs and thrust bearings. Noise drove me nuts. After reading this post I sprayed down the upper surface mounts with silicone lubricant. I can’t explain why this fixed the noise issue.

I’m having this exact issue and it started after struts and mounts were replaced. The new mounts were not original mazda parts so that might be why.

Can someone recommend a good aftermarket brand for this? KYB maybe?

I’m having this exact issue and it started after struts and mounts were replaced. The new mounts were not original mazda parts so that might be why.

Can someone recommend a good aftermarket brand for this? KYB maybe?

KYB SR4537 Strut-Plus (Manufacturer Rebate Available!)
Sale!
Info
Front Right

KYB SR4538 Strut-Plus (Manufacturer Rebate Available!)
Sale!
Info
Front Left

They are both 179.99 at Rock Auto. They are complete replacements bolt on no spring compressor necessary.

Hate to bring this back from the dead.... I am having this issue AFTER I replaced the strut assembly as well. I replaced both fronts with TRQ units and the squeaking started on the right.

So, I replaced right side with KYB to see if thats the issue, but KYB does it too.

I have also replaced swaybar endlinks. I am lost as to what this noise could be...I sprayed lube from up top and it does make it go away for a bit. On both struts, so what can it be?

Anyone fix it for good? I see couple of other said they got noise after new struts as well. Struggling to figure this out.

Thanks!

You don't hear it from the outside when you roll down the window for some reason. That is the first thing I did when I had the problem. You can only hear it from inside the car. I tried the spray and it worked for awhile but not anymore. When I get a chance I will try to get replacements from Rock auto, but I am you looking for boxes to ship back the old units as I threw them out when a few months after replacment.

Back