2016~2023 CX-9 AWD - rear clunking noise

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Posting in General because I'm not really sure if this belongs in the Powertrain subforum or the Suspension subforum. Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible. If I'm leaving anything out that might help, please let me know.

*** Moved to CX-9 Powertrain as it seems that this is most likely linked to a drivetrain issue.

Friday afternoon, I left work as usual. Stopped by a Shell gas station for a touchless wash. After the wash, when pulling onto the street, I noticed that the car was making fairly loud clunking noises during turns, and occasionally when accelerating in a straight line from a stop. The noise only came from the rear end, and mostly seemed to be coming from the passenger side. I was able to replicate the clunking when turning right and accelerating through the turn. Making a right turn off the throttle there was no noise. Same goes for left turns on and off the throttle, but the noise seemed to be much less frequent. The clunking wasn't rhythmic, or predictable-sounding, it just sounded random, like if you had a heavy boot in a dryer on low spin.

It seemed to be related to traction control, as the clunking would occur in scenarios where the AWD or traction control would kick in. Once, while accelerating from a stop sign with some snow on the ground, the clunking noise occurred as I was going straight and the traction control light would flash on (same light that blinks on and off when traction control is applied).

Took it to my uncle, who jacked up one side of the rear to take a look. We were working in a cramped garage so there wasn't much room to work with, but he said that he doesn't think it's anything to do with the diff because the noise would be more consistent. He said everything looks good and tight with the suspension components, no apparent issues with tie rods or end links or anything like that. He suggested the possibility of a problem with the ABS, but if there was a problem, the car would have thrown a code, wouldn't it? I think we got a good enough look at the suspension, but we didn't actually get "underneath" the car. I might dig my ramps out of the shed to back the CX-9 up on them for a better look later today.

We then took a ride around the area to replicate the noise, and after hearing it, he seemed to think it might actually be a failing strut. Usually you could tell by seeing wet spots on the strut, but because it was wet outside it was hard to tell. I wasn't so sure myself as the noise wasn't heard even when going over bumps at speed.

In any event, he said the car is safe to drive, and to just let him know if it gets any worse. On my way home, I remember accelerating though a turn, hearing the clunking noise again, and then it seemed to disappear. I tried to replicate it on my way home a few times, and the car seemed back to normal. We go out that evening, no noise. Ran some errands Saturday and Sunday, no noise. Sunday night, I took the car to Shell again for another touchless wash. Drive the car home, no noise at all. Then this morning, after dropping my wife off at her office (we work 25-30 mins away from home), I hear the noise again. It's much less frequent, but it's still there, and seems to now only be coming from the driver's side rear. Clunking only seems to occur in instances where the traction control would kick in.

Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?? I'd take it to the dealer but I'm out of the warranty period now. Car has 106k kms and hasn't had the diff fluid changed yet (I had planned to do it this summer). I just went out to take a video of me replicating the sound in my office's parking lot so I could upload it here, but the clunking is gone again. I made sure that traction control engaged a few times as well. Maybe it's related to the cold somehow? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
That's a tough one. I think your diff is good otherwise the noise will be there constantly. Since you mostly get the noise when TC engages, it might be the unit that activates the rear diff.

My suggestion to narrow down is find an empty snowy parking lot and do a couple pulls. Have someone outside to listen for the noise.

That's a tough one. I think your diff is good otherwise the noise will be there constantly. Since you mostly get the noise when TC engages, it might be the unit that activates the rear diff.

My suggestion to narrow down is find an empty snowy parking lot and do a couple pulls. Have someone outside to listen for the noise.

Goal was to do this, and just have my phone recording outside while I do some pulls to recreate the noise.. but now the noise is gone. I guess I'll try again if/when it comes back. Thanks for the reply!

Ugh, sometimes finding a suspension clunk is not easy.

How many miles on your CX5? Any suspension mods or R&R?

I would put it on jack stands and remove the rear wheels. Then put a pry bar on all the suspension parts looking for something unusual. Also look at each bushing for cracks or tear. Also wiggle the axels and look at the CV boots for grease leaks.

Also pry on the front and rear drive shaft U Joints. I would hold the DS in place and wiggle it back and forth looking for some play in it. Failing U Joints make a clunk sound as well. When your AWD engages, it could be a U Joint noise.

Put the pry bar on the anti roll bar end links. One of the ball joints may have failed. On my rides, they clunk when they failed.

Also, spin the rear wheels and listen for any noise from the diff/U Joints. I agree, it's not likely the diff.

Then torque each bolt to spec. Including all the suspension parts, shocks, end links. Also the U Joints. Lastly, torque the bolts that hold the IRS frame to the car.

Back in the day, we raced cars with rear an IRS. After each race we would inspect and re torque all the end links, cradle, drive shaft and look for damaged parts. I was amazed how often the end link bolts needed a half a turn to bring them in to spec.

Good Luck!

The rebound dampers, the struts & shocks, are hydraulic units. If the seal lets hydraulic oil seep out, it's time for new ones. You'll see or feel the oil, it's not just "wet."

Time to set up a GoPro underneath the car to try and identify where the clunking noise is coming from. It’s probably a used bushing, but it could be a multitude of different things, including the mounts for the diff, which I’ve seen back when Mazda had the Mazda speed six.

Maybe a loose or cracked strut mount? I don’t know how the CX-9 is setup, but on my Mazda 3 they are weak and would do a whole lot of clunking. Strut was still good, it was just the mount that was cracked. If something is loose it is possible it would only make noise when the suspension moves in a specific direction.

There was someone else here that posted about a lot of noise when adaptive cruise control was braking, they said it might be linked to an abs sensor, they had put a video so you can see if the noise is similar.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The sound mysteriously disappeared for the most part. Occasionally it will come back, but now it's just a single clunk, it's a lot quieter, and very infrequent. TC and AWD have been working just fine, so I'm leaning towards failing mounts, bushings, or maybe a failing u-joint. I'll hopefully learn more when I can get under the car again, which should hopefully be soon given the very very mild winter we've been having. For now the car seems to be back to normal.

Not sure where you’re living, but it could be the fact that the clunking is worse when it’s cold out and then sounds better when the weather is warmer. I’ve owned allot Mazdas and I remember there was a bunch of Mazda protégé/protege5 that were having similar issues back in the day. I believe they were related to the rear of the vehicle and I believe they were related to the sway bars bushings/tie rods that were causing the clunking sound, but I could be mistaken. We’re talking about close to 20 years ago and my protege5 didn’t have that issue.

Ok, there's definitely something wrong. The clunking sound still appears to be mostly gone (I'll still get a single clunk occasionally, maybe once a week?), but we got a few inches of snow here this morning and on my way to work, traction control kept engaging. AWD doesn't seem to be working like it used to. I was beside a Mazda Tribute at a stop light, and despite me trying to feather the gas to account for the snow, it was like I was driving a FWD car with all-season tires instead of an AWD car with winter tires. The Tribute left the light no problem, while I sat there trying to regain traction. There are no warning lights aside from the flashing TCS when it engages. No CELs, no check 4WD system message, nothing like that.

Anyone have any more ideas? I still haven't been able to get underneath the car to get a good look. If there was an issue with the AWD system, I'd get a CEL, wouldn't I?

It looks to me that I've lost all power to the rear.

What do you guys think? The last two accelerations were with traction control off.

I did talk to the dealership and they said that if I did have an issue with the AWD system, I would be getting a warning or message in the infotainment system.

That doesn’t look great. I know the AWD is notorious for allowing a fair amount of front wheel spin before engaging, but this looks more than usual. Are you still able to do donuts in the snow ? (Full throttle while turning to get the rear loose). If you can then there would still be some power going to the rear.

It looks to me that I've lost all power to the rear.

What do you guys think? The last two accelerations were with traction control off.

I did talk to the dealership and they said that if I did have an issue with the AWD system, I would be getting a warning or message in the infotainment system.
I'd say no awd. The rear wheels were not pushing or rotating as fast as the front wheels.

You'll never guess.. AWD seemed to be working fine on the way in to work today. SMH

If it seems like the AWD is out again, I'll try disconnecting the battery. Maybe I'll try getting another recording of the car again to see if the rear wheels have power this time.

Well, I just went to see if the AWD was working and it appears to be the same as yesterday, in terms of the video posted above (no power to the rear wheels). Maybe the conditions for driving are just better today, despite being much colder.

I did try to do some donuts and kick the rear out. I was not able to, but I also didn't want to push it because the lot wasn't empty and I couldn't find a bigger/empty lot nearby.

I called a dealer and they said that if there's a problem with the AWD system, I'd be getting a "Service 4WD" message/warning. The only warning message I got was a 4WD High Load warning when I was trying to get the rear wheels to spin with traction control off. That warning went away after turning the car off and on.

I found this post on a different forum. The symptoms sound very similar to mine. It would also explain why I don't hear the clunking sound anymore, maybe all the splines have worn off of mine lol.

Still need to check for codes and check fuses, but it seems like this "viscous coupler" or the Mazda equivalent may be the problem.

That make sense.

So I'm guessing it's non serviceable item and once it's done, it's done.

Were you really "playful" with all these snow?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back