CX-60 PHEV reveal on March 8th

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the exterior design, although the pictures of that red one look pretty good. I guess it depends on the spec and colour.

I've done some rough Photoshopping of the white one to see how it would look with a blacked-out grill, bigger wheels (from an Audi RSQ8) and lowered suspension, and I think it looks a bit sportier. I will reserve judgement until the official release, but I'm hoping it will grow on me.

CX-60-2.png

Dimensions converted to inches
186.8" length
74.4 " width
66.14" to 66.33" height
6.69" to 6.89" ground clearance

In the white color photos, the car looks weird, feels like its a korean like type of SUV. Love that interior, plus that digital instrument cluster reminds me of the current BMW instrument cluster, in the way the information layed out.

Curious to see the actual press release with more colours, maybe a clip or so.

The press kit posted by @santa is a good read for anyone who has the time and wants to get an idea of what may be coming down the pipe for other markets. One thing that caught my eye was the Driver Personalization System. Definitely sounds like something that would belong in a luxury vehicle. How well it will work remains to be seen of course.

The Mazda CX-60’s new Driver Personalisation System comprises three functions; an automatic driving position guide; automatic setting restoration; and ingress/
egress assistance.

The automatic driving position guide uses a camera to detect the position of the driver’s eyes and input regarding the driver’s height to estimate their physique, then
automatically adjusts the seat, steering wheel, HUD and door mirrors to match the driver’s eye position.

Automatic setting restoration uses facial recognition, and data on more than 250 adjustments and settings stored in the vehicle – including the driving position, audio and
air-conditioning – to quickly and automatically restore the settings for each individual when the driver changes. The system can store settings for up to six people, plus guests.

In addition, the ingress/egress assistance function makes it easier for the driver to get in and out of the car by sliding the steering wheel and seat out of the way.

Some other highlights:
- 60 km range on electric motor
- 4568 lb curb weight
- 5500 lb towing capacity

Last edited:
That looks much nicer! Still not a fan of the headlights or the fender vents. Also, like the CX-5, I feel that there is something is missing from the liftgate, but I may just be too used to my CX-9. The black exhaust vents look great with the red paint!
Yes it does. This is much classier than the first image. I like white cars, but...not this one.

Okay...Quick update...The more I look at it, the more it's growing on me...😁
This is how I felt about the 2017 CX-5 update. I didn't love it right away but the more time I spent looking the more I liked it, and eventually I came to genuinely love it. I'm pretty confident this will be the same.

The overall look is more "shooting brake" than SUV with the height de-emphasized and that makes sense with the new RWD layout. Being able to see it in person and see how the light interacts with the surface detailing will be important too which we cannot do right now.

The press kit posted by @santa is a good read for anyone who has the time and wants to get an idea of what may be coming down the pipe for other markets. One thing that caught my eye was the Driver Personalization System. Definitely sounds like something that would belong in a luxury vehicle. How well it will work remains to be seen of course.

Some other highlights:
- 60 km range on electric motor
- 4568 lb curb weight
- 5500 lb towing capacity
4568# curb weight is not good, but also not as bad as I thought it would be. Still, that's 700# more than the outgoing CX5, and 500# more than the Stelvio/RDX/Q5/X3/GLC300 which it will directly compete against, and also consider the CX70 will weigh a hair more again, so maybe 4600-4700#. They will need to put a tire on this car. 255's at a minimum. As it stands, 327bhp at 4600# is the same as 247bhp at 3800#, so while the acceleration from a dig may be impressive due to the electric engine, from a roll this thing is likely to not be a ton faster than the outgoing CX5, although that wasn't bad at all to be honest. Still, it's going t o need more ass to compete in the market segment it's going into. My RDX has a notably better power/weight ratio, for example, so the off the line torque and mpg is going to be the CX70's selling point, along with handling if they can get that right and don't under-tire it like they have the CX5 and CX9. Especially at its weight.

Main visual complaint: The car is curvy and edgy. It's designed to be. All except the front from mid fender to mid rear door. Mazda needs to do something with the doors to keep the curves and edges coming. The design does not look mature/cohesive. Take this for example. Notice how Acura kept that section from "falling flat"? Mazda needs to do similar in their own way. They've got a little mild contour to the top of the door panels, but it's just not enough to hold the front and rear together like their competitors do.
1646756074103.png

1646755879723.png

1646756001739.png

1646756034040.png

Last edited:
4568# curb weight is not good, but also not as bad as I thought it would be. Still, that's 700# more than the outgoing CX5, and 500# more than the Stelvio/RDX/Q5/X3/GLC300 which it will directly compete against, and also consider the CX70 will weigh a hair more again, so maybe 4600-4700#. They will need to put a tire on this car. 255's at a minimum. As it stands, 327bhp at 4600# is the same as 247bhp at 3800#, so while the acceleration from a dig may be impressive due to the electric engine, from a roll this thing is likely to not be a ton faster than the outgoing CX5, although that wasn't bad at all to be honest. Still, it's going t o need more ass to compete in the market segment it's going into. My RDX has a notably better power/weight ratio, for example, so the off the line torque and mpg is going to be the CX70's selling point, along with handling if they can get that right and don't under-tire it like they have the CX5 and CX9. Especially at its weight.

The wheel and tire specs in the European press kit state 20x7.5" wheels with 235/50 tires, or 18x7.5" wheels with 235/60 tires. Given the width increase expected for our market, and the weight of the car, I would expect an 8.5" wide wheel, maybe with a 255/50 tire, like the current CX-9.

The wheel and tire specs in the European press kit state 20x7.5" wheels with 235/50 tires, or 18x7.5" wheels with 235/60 tires. Given the width increase expected for our market, and the weight of the car, I would expect an 8.5" wide wheel, maybe with a 255/50 tire, like the current CX-9.
255's would be excellent. I know the 255's on my RDX are worlds better and more solid feeling than the 225's on my CX5 were, even though the cars have similar weight distribution and total weight.

I think I will reserve further judgement on the exterior styling until I can see on in person, but so far my personal take is that the interior execution is better than the exterior. The color and material choices are unique in a good way and the space feels welcoming. There are some really neat details like the extruded toggle switches for adjusting climate temperature. Even just from looking at photos it looks like a nice place to be.

By width, CX60 is similar to a Acura RDX, and 3" narrower than a MDX.
CX-70 might be 3" wider... like MDX, for US and Australia.

I’m liking this! Well done…Wonder what it would look like in that red..:love:

Ps…Once again, I’m getting all my CX-60 news here, this is fantastic coverage and commentary everyone..(y)

I think it looks much more aggressive. The red car they show in the press kit looks amazing. Mazda is also claiming that the Sky-6X gets the same mileage as a Sky-4X. In the CX-30, with an automatic, people average about 35 MPG. Given that the CX-60 is a bigger vehicle, I would assume the MPG would be less but even it is an overall 30 MPG, that would be amazing. Can't wait for these to hit the market.

Back