CX-60 Dashcam Install issues

:
CX60 Exclusive
Hi.

Halfords had a decent Black Friday deal for a Nextbase 522GW Front & Rear bundle. £199
I wanted it fitting but the technician told me they aren't fitting to PHEV or EV? Something to do with battery drain.

Does this make sense to anyone - Surely the CX-60 has a 'normal' sized 12v battery just like any other car?

So questions.
What is the Ah capacity of the CX-60 12v battery? - 6.3Ah
Where is the fusebox located, ideally one in the cab?
Has anyone else installed a dashcam and if so, what are your thoughts?
Is the front accessory/cigar lighter socket switched off by the ignition? - Yes, but the USB-C in the central cubby are constantly live.

And finally...
If the car already has front & rear cameras why didn't Mazda build one in?

Edit: Been going through the manual and answered one Qn.
Edit: Checked the vehicle as well.

Last edited:
Hi.

Halfords had a decent Black Friday deal for a Nextbase 522GW Front & Rear bundle. £199
I wanted it fitting but the technician told me they aren't fitting to PHEV or EV? Something to do with battery drain.

Does this make sense to anyone - Surely the CX-60 has a 'normal' sized 12v battery just like any other car?

So questions.
What is the Ah capacity of the CX-60 12v battery? - 6.3Ah
Where is the fusebox located, ideally one in the cab?
Has anyone else installed a dashcam and if so, what are your thoughts?
Is the front accessory/cigar lighter socket switched off by the ignition? - Yes, but the USB-C in the central cubby are constantly live.

And finally...
If the car already has front & rear cameras why didn't Mazda build one in?

Edit: Been going through the manual and answered one Qn.
Edit: Checked the vehicle as well.

I'd be interested to know this to as I have my Blackvue 900 from my previous car ready to install. I've done a little research.

Tbf, Halfords are the least knowledgeable outfit, a friend of mine was a manager at one of their big branches, and they barely recieve any training for fitting of stereos, dash cams etc. Its normally the 'guy who has an interest in cars' that does the work.

It seems that the dashcam parking mode is the one that is the problem, as it draws battery constantly. If you opt not to use parking mode, and hard wire to the fuse box, using a switched ignition element of the fuse array, then it should be fine. - basically it will only come on with ignition, but it could potentially reduce ev range. It varies from car to car.

You can use a battery backup like the Black Vue Power Magic to sort this issue so that parking mode can be active, but its really expensive. I have a Power Magic Pro, which will cut off the parking mode if it senses a power drop on the battery to a low level. In all its time in my diesel Audi A3, the battery was never totalled or replaced.

I'm going to speak to professional installers this week and will come back with what they say.

I think the main issue, is questionably, will it draw current from the main EV battery or just the normal engine battery? Maybe its a question to Mazda directly, and to ask them which fusebox point to use to prevent ev drain.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know this to as I have my Blackvue 900 from my previous car ready to install. I've done a little research.

Tbf, Halfords are the least knowledgeable outfit, a friend of mine was a manager at one of their big branches, and they barely recieve any training for fitting of stereos, dash cams etc. Its normally the 'guy who has an interest in cars' that does the work.

It seems that the dashcam parking mode is the one that is the problem, as it draws battery constantly. If you opt not to use parking mode, and hard wire to the fuse box, using a switched ignition element of the fuse array, then it should be fine. - basically it will only come on with ignition, but it could potentially reduce ev range. It varies from car to car.

You can use a battery backup like the Black Vue Power Magic to sort this issue so that parking mode can be active, but its really expensive. I have a Power Magic Pro, which will cut off the parking mode if it senses a power drop on the battery to a low level. In all its time in my diesel Audi A3, the battery was never totalled or replaced.

I'm going to speak to professional installers this week and will come back with what they say.

I think the main issue, is questionably, will it draw current from the main EV battery or just the normal engine battery? Maybe its a question to Mazda directly, and to ask them which fusebox point to use to prevent ev drain.
If you read the manual it basically says if you mess with the electrics (12v or hv) you’re at risk of fire/death/end of the world.

I’m going to make use of the front accessory socket for power as it’s switched by the ignition and forget about parking mode. It’s questionable if any damage you get in a supermarket car park would be sufficiently covered to stand up to legal scrutiny.

If you read the manual it basically says if you mess with the electrics (12v or hv) you’re at risk of fire/death/end of the world.

I’m going to make use of the front accessory socket for power as it’s switched by the ignition and forget about parking mode. It’s questionable if any damage you get in a supermarket car park would be sufficiently covered to stand up to legal scrutiny.

My Audi diesel said similar about the fuse box tbh..

I think the wiring for the 12v socket is probably a good call, just splice off that. I will probably go the fuse box route with a battery supply depending on what the professionals say this week. You only use a piggy back fuse cable, so the original fuse is still in use, you just add a secondary.

The parking feature has been really useful in the past for me, twice in fact. Once it captured a pair of burglars who broke into my neighbours flat and they were subsequently arrested and charged from it, and the second a car park bang which I reported to the Police as it captured the drivers plate, and they after the Police had a word with them, they got in touch with their insurance details.

Last edited:
Had a nextbase fitted at Halford Halifax fitted to a spare fuse. He was saying to me many manufacturers don't like fitting accessories he doesn't know why he argues you can. His management say no because of the above. Having no problems as yet but said he would remove if required. I also set the nextbase to auto turn off if 12v battery drain drops to a certain level. Hope this helps

Back