CX-50 vs GV70

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Hyundai is dropping a GV70, which is roughly analogous in size to what the new CX50 is purported to be. It comes with a 300hp and 375hp engine option. AWD. An 8 speed. A stunning Genesis type interior. Over the years, Genesis' quality has become a known quantity, even topping JD Power's list for 2020, and generally "running at the top part of the pack" in most other comparos. The GV70 will weigh 4400# (A roughly 600# increase over the CX5 GTR/Sg models). It will have RWD architecture. Based on the numbers, I am projecting that it will perform 0-60 in the mid 5's and run the quarter mile in the mid 13's@99-102mph. This represents a slight bump over CX5 GTR/SG performance. The interior is a marked step up, as will be the weight distribution as well as cargo and interior space. Warranty is 5/60 comprehensive and 10/100 powertrain.

In contrast, we have the CX50 which has yet unannounced pricing, but is purported to "Be more than the CX5". The GV70 will sell for $39K with the 2.5L 300hp engine, and $44K with the 375hp 3.5L engine. The current CX5 GTR and Sg sell for $35 and 37K, respectively. Another dash against the Mazda is that they will be using outsourced parts from "somewhere outside of Japan" "To keep costs down". This means that the reliability and quality we have overlooked some of Mazda's flaws for, is going to be subject to external factors, as well as being "a new situation". The CX50 will also be RWD architecture, and is purported to use the unproven as of yet SCCA / SA-X 3.0L engine, which has been debated to provide between 280 and 350 horsepower, along with a mild hybrid option. Transmissions have not been discussed, but Mazda has filed patent on an 8-speed.

Given all of this data, were I to replace my CX5 any time in the next couple of years, the CX50 seems very unappealing to me, in comparison with the Genesis offerings which nail it both on style and performance, as well as having grown an enviable reliability track record. They have established supply lines and are not taking on new external suppliers to create the GV70 as Mazda is the CX50, as well.

Which one would you buy, presuming the above is accurate (which it is, as best I can tell, with source articles linked)? The CX50, or GV70? Why?

Without more tangible, reliable information about both cars, I can't make a decision.

For example, the outsourced parts have not yet been proven to be unreliable, so while it is something to consider, I would not consider it to be a negative yet, especially if it is done to keep the purchase price down.

Genesis is still a new brand, so even if their reliability is impressive, it is shortlived (engine options have only been around since 2019/2020). Warranty is indeed reassuring, but since Hyundai has had a lot of reliability issues in the past, I'm not surprised such a long term is offered. On top of that, Hyundai didn't handle an engine recall well and got fined for it. That makes me lose a little bit of faith in the brand.

Genesis does present a more luxurious ownership experience with their concierge service, but IMO this was done to prevent customers from being reminded that "it's still a Hyundai", as all Genesis vehicles are serviced at Hyundai dealerships right alongside the Santa Fe/Tucson/etc. Again, strictly IMO.

Have the GV70 prices you quoted been finalized? What trim levels are they, and what option packages (if any) are included in the price? They should be comparable to CX-5 GT Reserve and Signature models in order to fairly compare value. As a note, GT Reserve and Signature prices will likely change in the future, which may impact the comparison for better or worse.

All in all, the CX-50 is basically still just a rumour while the brand new GV70 is just about to hit the market. Nothing official about the CX-50 is known, aside from the nameplate (because it was trademarked).

Offtopic, but didn't you also say that you'd consider the RAV4 Prime as a replacement to your CX-5? Is availability still an issue?

Hyundai is dropping a GV70, which is roughly analogous in size to what the new CX50 is purported to be. It comes with a 300hp and 375hp engine option. AWD. An 8 speed. A stunning Genesis type interior. Over the years, Genesis' quality has become a known quantity, even topping JD Power's list for 2020, and generally "running at the top part of the pack" in most other comparos. The GV70 will weigh 4400# (A roughly 600# increase over the CX5 GTR/Sg models). It will have RWD architecture. Based on the numbers, I am projecting that it will perform 0-60 in the mid 5's and run the quarter mile in the mid 13's@99-102mph. This represents a slight bump over CX5 GTR/SG performance. The interior is a marked step up, as will be the weight distribution as well as cargo and interior space. Warranty is 5/60 comprehensive and 10/100 powertrain.

In contrast, we have the CX50 which has yet unannounced pricing, but is purported to "Be more than the CX5". The GV70 will sell for $39K with the 2.5L 300hp engine, and $44K with the 375hp 3.5L engine. The current CX5 GTR and Sg sell for $35 and 37K, respectively. Another dash against the Mazda is that they will be using outsourced parts from "somewhere outside of Japan" "To keep costs down". This means that the reliability and quality we have overlooked some of Mazda's flaws for, is going to be subject to external factors, as well as being "a new situation". The CX50 will also be RWD architecture, and is purported to use the unproven as of yet SCCA / SA-X 3.0L engine, which has been debated to provide between 280 and 350 horsepower, along with a mild hybrid option. Transmissions have not been discussed, but Mazda has filed patent on an 8-speed.

Given all of this data, were I to replace my CX5 any time in the next couple of years, the CX50 seems very unappealing to me, in comparison with the Genesis offerings which nail it both on style and performance, as well as having grown an enviable reliability track record. They have established supply lines and are not taking on new external suppliers to create the GV70 as Mazda is the CX50, as well.

Which one would you buy, presuming the above is accurate (which it is, as best I can tell, with source articles linked)? The CX50, or GV70? Why?
It’s very likely that the "outside of Japan" parts will be the new straight 6 engine that will be produced in the new Alabama plant, currently under construction. The plant is Mazda/Toyota and also look for the Highlander and hopefully the Rav 4 to use this engine. CX-50 and the new CX-9 or CX-90 too.

It’s very likely that the "outside of Japan" parts will be the new straight 6 engine that will be produced in the new Alabama plant, currently under construction. The plant is Mazda/Toyota and also look for the Highlander and hopefully the Rav 4 to use this engine. CX-50 and the new CX-9 or CX-90 too.
I'd be fine with this, as I've only killed one engine in my life, and it died at 230K miles or so. Hard miles. So I'm not really engine-shy.

Have the GV70 prices you quoted been finalized? What trim levels are they, and what option packages (if any) are included in the price? They should be comparable to CX-5 GT Reserve and Signature models in order to fairly compare value. As a note, GT Reserve and Signature prices will likely change in the future, which may impact the comparison for better or worse.

Offtopic, but didn't you also say that you'd consider the RAV4 Prime as a replacement to your CX-5? Is availability still an issue?

???

GV70 looks like a very nice vehicle. Can’t wait for trims, packages and pricing. If trims are similar to the GV80, I’d go for a 2.5T AWD Advanced for ~$49k MSRP, unless the CX-50 was comparable for ~$4-5k less.

I test drove a GV80 3.5T AWD Prestige and was quite impressed with the power, ride and finish. One would hope so for $72k LOL. 78” was too wide for my taste, so the 74.5” GV-70 would be perfect. Also, the 300hp 2.5T should be plenty strong for the smaller GV70 where it might be marginal for the heavier GV80.

Holy smokes... The CX-50 is not my cup of tea.
I hope Mazda does not do something stupid... like killing off the CX-5

Don't worry, @NucPC. CX-5 is here to stay. New powertrain, inline-6 Skyactiv-X 3.0L (good for 280+hp), will be used in the upcoming CX-50 and new Mazda6 (going RWD) with new 8-speed auto and 48V mild hybrid (for low-end torque).

Don't worry, @NucPC. CX-5 is here to stay. New powertrain, inline-6 Skyactiv-X 3.0L (good for 280+hp), will be used in the upcoming CX-50 and new Mazda6 (going RWD) with new 8-speed auto and 48V mild hybrid (for low-end torque).
They are going to need well over 280hp if this is a 3.0L engine with DI. 280hp from a DI i6 is pure trash. Thirty years ago ago BMW was pulling 282bhp out of a 3.0L i6 (S50B30) without DI. NEARLY 70 YEARS AGO Mercedes was making 240hp from their 3.0L i6 (M198).

So Mazda better not even come in here with this 280hp BS from a 3.0L i6 in 2022.

They are going to need well over 280hp if this is a 3.0L engine with DI. 280hp from a DI i6 is pure trash. Thirty years ago ago BMW was pulling 282bhp out of a 3.0L i6 (S50B30) without DI. NEARLY 70 YEARS AGO Mercedes was making 240hp from their 3.0L i6 (M198).

So Mazda better not even come in here with this 280hp BS from a 3.0L i6 in 2022.
Everything is supposition until now but as it was stated before there are going to be several variations of the inline six. In general the I6 is destined for North America therefore it has to be turbo charged. No manufacturer will introduce a NA engine, especially a 6 cilinder, in 2022 when everybody is going small turborcharged electric. Mazda lost a lot of time with the development of this engine/s therefore cannot wait to release the NA I6 just to turbo charge it several years later. There is no time for that.

My guess they will drop next year a turbocharged inline 6, based on the current SkyActiv G and they will add a 48V mild hybrid. They might throw a I6 diesel as well,, even though I think they might p7t this project to sleep. An I6 based on the Skyactiv X will be in the cards, just not for the north america, as there are markets as Europe who don t get the regular 2.5 Turbo, therefore there is a stronger market for a more powerfull Mazda engine. Also, not to mention the emission regulations.

My 2 cents.

In addition to what I said above I came across this piece of information:

"The engine 1 is a gasoline engine (particularly, four-stroke internal combustion engine) mounted on a vehicle with four wheels. This engine 1 is an in-line six-cylinder longitudinal engine which has six cylinders 21 disposed in a row and the lined-up direction of the cylinders 21 is oriented in the front-and-rear direction of a vehicle body."

"As illustrated in FIG. 1, the engine 1 includes an engine body 2, an intake system 3, an exhaust system 4, a turbocharger 5, and a fuel feed system 6. The intake system 3 has an intake passage 31 connected to an intake port of the engine body 2. An air cleaner 32 is provided to an upstream end of the intake passage 31, and fresh air is drawn in through the air cleaner 32 into the intake passage 31. The intake passage 31 is provided with a compressor 51 of the turbocharger 5, a throttle valve 33, an intercooler 34, and a surge tank 35."

As you see it does say that it is turbo charged and not super-charged as in the SkyActiv-X variant.

This is from a North American patent application, filled March 25th this year, so take this with a grain of salt just because it doesn't mean if a TM is applied, it will make it to production. But as of right now, everything points to this direction.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 245
Everything is supposition until now but as it was stated before there are going to be several variations of the inline six. In general the I6 is destined for North America therefore it has to be turbo charged. No manufacturer will introduce a NA engine, especially a 6 cilinder, in 2022 when everybody is going small turborcharged electric. Mazda lost a lot of time with the development of this engine/s therefore cannot wait to release the NA I6 just to turbo charge it several years later. There is no time for that.

My guess they will drop next year a turbocharged inline 6, based on the current SkyActiv G and they will add a 48V mild hybrid. They might throw a I6 diesel as well,, even though I think they might p7t this project to sleep. An I6 based on the Skyactiv X will be in the cards, just not for the north america, as there are markets as Europe who don t get the regular 2.5 Turbo, therefore there is a stronger market for a more powerfull Mazda engine. Also, not to mention the emission regulations.

My 2 cents.
If they drop a turbo 6, it better have 350hp or more. If they gave it a nice thick power curve with great torque, and focused on longevity and economy, I'd be content with 350hp. If they put it in any kind of "S" model or whatever though, it's going to need to be closer to 400+.

Coming from a G70, I love the GV70 but to get all the bells and whistles you have to get the V6. If I could get one loaded with the 4cyl I would have gone that direction. Definitely an upgrade over the CX50 but the cost is premium as well. I just couldn't justify paying 65k plus to get what I wanted.

Back