CX-50 Styrofoam around Spare Tire needed?

Does the styrofoam around the spare tire need to be in there? The front half piece doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than taking up space. The back half seems have slots to store some of the tools to replace a tire.

I would like to utilize the extra space to store roadside assistance kit and first aid kit there to save space in the trunk area. I'm not sure if removing it would cause any issues.

Thanks!

It probably adds some sound deadening, and custom storage for tire jack/tools and luggage cover (if you have one), but apart from that, no issues with removing it.

It was put there for a reason by Mazda. You may find out why after doing it.

Does the styrofoam around the spare tire need to be in there? The front half piece doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than taking up space. The back half seems have slots to store some of the tools to replace a tire.

I would like to utilize the extra space to store roadside assistance kit and first aid kit there to save space in the trunk area. I'm not sure if removing it would cause any issues.

Thanks!
The section closest to the hatch has cut outs in it meant to hold the retractable cargo cover when it's not in use.

Back