2017~2024 CX-5: What strut/coil recommendation for better ride without changing height?

Running a 2017 with 55K miles. While I'm on fence to trade in on a Turbo model (was really hoping the CX70 would be the CX60 dimensions), I might just hang on to the '17 and maybe just replace the suspension. Maybe just new Bilstein carts? Thoughts?

Bilstein B6 Performance struts and shock absorbers improve handling and ride comfort without changing suspension height.
KYB Excel-G, they are also suitable for use with original springs and do not change the suspension height.
Koni FSD shock absorbers automatically adapt to road conditions and driving style, are compatible with original springs and do not change height

There is no way on Earth that your suspension is worn out at 55k miles unless you're doing rock crawls with it. And nobody does rock crawls with a CX-5.
So what exactly is going on here?

I had carried some heavy items (bags of stone, tile, ...) on some weekends. Didn't think a big deal but on last long distance trip, I notice the rear getting ... mushy? Like a bounce one too many (last time that happened on a car I had, the struts were tired). You could be right and it might just have been that section of highway. But I guess from driving someone's newer vehicle, the CX5 isn't a handler and I have put Bilsteins on other vehicles and noticed improved ride/handling.

I began to think my shocks and struts were showing wear around 60k miles. I replaced them with Koni Special Actives at 90k. The ride is lots less harsh over small road imperfections, like manhole covers and 1.5" pavement spalls. It is less jiggly or busy, more serene over common suburban roads. GF says it doesn't "rock" as much (whatever THAT means). The ride is more "polished" feeling. Low frequency body motions are about the same as the worn OEM shocks/struts and I don't quite like that, but I tend to drive it like my MX-5. I would have selected the Koni Sports were it not that they require removal of the rears to adjust damping.

After putting Bilsteins on my truck and having the warranty replacements fail the same way, I'm done with them.

A CX-5 is supposed to be the most athletic of, at least common, SUVs.

Last edited:
Back