2013~2016 CX-5 USB port and cable trouble

We have a 2015 CX-5. The USB port works, usually. New pixel 4a phone has a usb c cable, doesn't fit. So I buy a cable that is usb c on one end and old usb on the other end. It works everywhere else but not in the CX-5. Tested my wife's phone in the CX-5 and hers still works. So the CX-5 port is still functioning but doesn't like my new cable or what? Any help very much appreciated!

Solution
Thanks for all the suggestions. Ultimately I got an anker charger that connects to the cigarette lighter and has a usb port on it. That and a usb c and usb old on the other end and I'm in business.
I recall seeing related topics here about issues like this...Seems like your current cable adapter could be the issue. Do you have another one to try? When it comes to cable adapters, I like Anker.

Perhaps others here have direct experience with this issue and can chime in as well...:)

Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean when you say that the cable doesn't work?

If you're trying to charge your cell from the CX's USB port you're going to be out of luck. Unless CarPlay/Android Auto is installed your USB ports will not source enough current charge the phone.

Upvote 0
I recall seeing related topics here about issues like this...Seems like your current cable adapter could be the issue. Do you have another one to try? When it comes to cable adapters, I like Anker.

Perhaps others here have direct experience with this issue and can chime in as well...:)
Thanks. I tested the cable by connecting it to the usb on my laptop and that worked. It just doesn't work on the cx5. Apple cable for my wife's phone works fine in cx5. Why would new cable work in some places but not cx5?

Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean when you say that the cable doesn't work?

If you're trying to charge your cell from the CX's USB port you're going to be out of luck. Unless CarPlay/Android Auto is installed your USB ports will not source enough current charge the phone.
When I connect it to the cx5 usb it doesn't charge (no connection at all). I've always been able to get at least a little bit of a charge in the past. Super slow as you mention though but still helpful on longer drives or in a bind.

Upvote 0
Get a Turbo rated charger for your lighter socket, see if that works with your present cable. Anker makes a good one.

If the cable works with the charger, but not with the Mazda port, then the Mazda port just doesn't have enough beans to charge your phone. Your car is 6 years old. Doesn't seem old as far as cars go, because it isn't. But, compared to phone technology, 6 years is ancient. USB-C and Turbo charging still wasn't really a thing when your car was made, as it wasn't officially recognized until mid 2016.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I tested the cable by connecting it to the usb on my laptop and that worked. It just doesn't work on the cx5. Apple cable for my wife's phone works fine in cx5. Why would new cable work in some places but not cx5?
Good question...Perhaps as @theblooms said, the Mazda port doesn't have enough power to charge your newer phone...It does seem like an older USB port/tech/standards meets newer USB port/tech/standards issue.

Upvote 0
Cable should have a transfer rate of 480mbps or more. In the device designated USB port in the center console of my 2020 touring, I'm using USB 2.0 cable to connect to the USB 2.0 C port on my pixel 4a5g. It also helps to disable battery optimization for all the apps you use when connected, change USB connection default to file transfer/AA and set car/HU as trusted device in your phone wifi/bt settings.

Upvote 0
Old usb ports ( 2 x 500mA).

What is your cellphone Android version? Make sure usb configuration is "transferring files" allowed/selected.

Additionally for your older Mazda usb port: You can attach an USB data hub to the first usb port, connect a 5V adapter to the 12v power socket (cigarette power) connect one end of an usb cable to it and the other end of the cable to power the usb data hub to have all 4 x usb slot/port up to 2.0A. Connect your other data usb c type cable to any of the usb data hub slot(s) and the other end to your handset and it should work. Now If you want to listen to your usb stick mp3 music, only insert this thumbdrive into the 2nd older usb port.

Upvote 0
Back