2017~2024 CX-5 Trailer Hitch recommendations?

chrisfern23

2017 CX-5 Touring
Hi everyone - I tried searching around but couldn’t find any thread, forgive me if this was discussed already.

im looking to install a hitch on my 2017 CX-5 touring. Any recommendations on one to buy online? I came across a few - one in particular here:

Also - if anyone has had this installed - what do you feel is a fair price to pay for installation?

I've seen several hitch threads. Here's one I just found:

Hi, I just had the Curt class III hitch installed on my 2019. It's part #13315 and the best price I found by far was through U-haul. You can buy and schedule install online too. Total out the door was $223 - hitch $135, install $72, lifetime warranty $5. It looks great too!

etrailer has great prices/service/support and I've made several purchases from them. Always completely satisfied.

Are you going to actually tow a trailer or is this just for accessories like bike rack, luggage tray etc?

Also, Mazda had a factory accessory hitch that looks a bit more "tidy".

etrailer has great prices/service/support and I've made several purchases from them. Always completely satisfied.

Are you going to actually tow a trailer or is this just for accessories like bike rack, luggage tray etc?

Also, Mazda had a factory accessory hitch that looks a bit more "tidy".
I would be mostly using for a luggage tray to put a cooler and things like that on there, not to toe a trailer.

I've gotten a couple from eTrailer and I like doing business with them. They have a lot of information on their web site including installation videos.

The hitch only needs a few bolts to install but it is heavy and that makes the job more of a challenge.

There are more accessories available in the 2" hitch size but the smaller 1.25" is ok for most applications and as someone pointed out the factory hitch might look a little better.

How “tidy” the OEM hitch receiver looks is totally dependent on the skill of the tech cutting the hole in the bumper cover. Curt and Etrailer protrude just below the bumper so no cutting required, but they hang down slightly more and require more rise in the hitch itself.

To me, the 2” receiver would be a huge plus to going aftermarket. I’ve watched the Etrailer install video and it is pretty straightforward but there’s a lot more to it than just bolting it on. (You have to loosen bumper cover, lower exhaust, and fish nut plates into frame rails. On a lift with a helper it would be easy.... but not so much lying on one’s back on the garage floor.)

If you want to tow, you’ve got to sort electrical hookups as well. Here, I’d tend toward OEM.

- Mark

Hi, I just had the Curt class III hitch installed on my 2019. It's part #13315 and the best price I found by far was through U-haul. You can buy and schedule install online too. Total out the door was $223 - hitch $135, install $72, lifetime warranty $5. It looks great too

Hi, I just had the Curt class III hitch installed on my 2019. It's part #13315 and the best price I found by far was through U-haul. You can buy and schedule install online too. Total out the door was $223 - hitch $135, install $72, lifetime warranty $5. It looks great too
Appreciate it, I’ve been looking into this option today. Can you post a pic? I wanted to see how the cut on the bumper looks

None of the aftermarket options require any cutting of the bumper cover. And, they all look tidy - including the OEM option. The biggest difference is price - the OEM option is expensive.
The OEM option is a 1.25" receiver which is appropriate for the towing capacity of the CX5. If you already own accessories that go with a receiver size then choose it.

Appreciate it, I’ve been looking into this option today. Can you post a pic? I wanted to see how the cut on the bumper looks
That's why I chose the Curt, no cut! This picture is a bit distorted but the hitch is actually even with the bumper, it doesn't stick out at all.
20201122_192249.jpg

None of the aftermarket options require any cutting of the bumper cover. And, they all look tidy - including the OEM option. The biggest difference is price - the OEM option is expensive.
The OEM option is a 1.25" receiver which is appropriate for the towing capacity of the CX5. If you already own accessories that go with a receiver size then choose it.
Got it- appreciate the clarity !

That's why I chose the Curt, no cut! This picture is a bit distorted but the hitch is actually even with the bumper, it doesn't stick out at all.View attachment 229112
Looks awesome!! Thanks for posting. I definitely think my best option here is to go get this done at a local u-haul

Etrailer, Curt, and a good U-Haul location all the way. I’m very particular about quality of craftsmanship, and I couldn’t be happier with the results. The OEM hitch placement creates too much opportunity for error. One wrong move and your bumper is F’d. Also, there’s no going back to stock with the OEM. $50 labor install. They quoted $75-90 on the phone, but when I picked it up they dropped it to $50 because it was so easy.

It’s also not hard to do it yourself. I did my CX-5 and my wife’s CX-9 both in under an hour.

I backed up onto some rhino ramps and used a Coleman 72 can cooler with wheels to rest the hitch on. Perfect height! Fish bolts and washer through channel, easy stuff.
97957F38-17B1-4F81-A6CD-BCF808A24675.jpeg

I installed the Curt on my 2016 and on my 2020. It does a great job and fits very well.

Attachments

• P1010025.JPG
    P1010025.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 362
I might pay $50 to install but it's not too difficult to DIY.

I used boxes, etc, to hold it up while I attached the hitch. Probably took 30 minutes or so.

I got a quote from U-Haul for the Class 3 Curt for $218 installed. I'll have it done in a few days as they had to get one transferred from another location.

I also got the curt class 3 and like it a lot. Guys like their draw tight too. I struggled a little with my install but it was because I didn't lower the exhaust system low enough. And getting the rubber hangers off was a pita. At the time my hitch cost $133.38 and the curt harness was $53.30.
I see it on https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) for $129.99.

Back