CX-5 Sales continue to set records

Friend bought a 6 T. Picked her car up, boyfriend bought a CX-3 Sport because: he wanted cheap and AWD.
He does like it still but laments the zero storage on the inside. The GF and I both think he wishes he'd gotten a CX-5 but he won't admit it. With the discounts on the 16, he could have gotten a Sport CX-5 pretty cheap.

The Mazda Kai concept previewed the next Mazda 3. With the Skyactiv X mill could be a game changer. About time the 3 gets a new generation. Passenger cars are on he decline unfortunately but CUVs are booming, even Ferrari is getting in on the act. Good to see Mazda are on the up in the States.

CX-5 crushing it in sales and setting more Mazda sales records:

-The all-new Mazda CX-5 continued its record-breaking sales momentum in October, posting its best-ever October and its eighth best-ever month of CY2017, with 10,306 vehicles sold. This number represents an increase of 15.3 percent versus October of last year.
”CX-5 crushing it in sales and setting more Mazda sales records”??? With 10,306 CX-5’s sold in October, it’s down 17.2% from September where Mazda sold 12,440 units of CX-5. And it’s the second worst monthly sales other than the month of June since April this year when the 2nd-gen CX-5 started available in the US.

This news seems coming from Mazda sales department picking and choosing the good to report but not the bad.

”CX-5 crushing it in sales and setting more Mazda sales records”??? With 10,306 CX-5’s sold in October, it’s down 17.2% from September where Mazda sold 12,440 units of CX-5. And it’s the second worst monthly sales other than the month of June since April this year when the 2nd-gen CX-5 started available in the US.

This news seems coming from Mazda sales department picking and choosing the good to report but not the bad.
I don't think most companies compare month to month like that? My experience has always been year over year.

Maybe you're just not familiar with how marketing works. That's kind of what you're supposed to do. Accentuate the positive. They don't hide the bad news, they just draw your attention to the good news.
Not to even mention the very first paragraph gives you the bad news:
IRVINE, Calif.,*Nov. 1, 2017*/PRNewswire/ --*Mazda North American Operations*(MNAO) today reported total October U.S. sales of 20,811 vehicles, representing a decrease of 8.4 percent versus October of last year. Year-to-date (YTD) sales through October are down 2.4 percent versus last year, with 241,108 vehicles sold.

All companies report monthly sales nowadays.

Last edited:
CX-5 back to the top in its segment for October sales in OZ:

Mazda CX-5 2173
Nissan X-Trail 1762
Toyota RAV4 1700

Note: CX-5 sits 6th overall in top ten overall vehicle sales for the month.

Mazda overall dipped slightly to 3rd for the month with Hyundai strong for the month to push it up to 2nd but Mazda still 2nd year to date and YOY.

Last edited:
CX-5 has returned to being top selling SUV here in OZ and 6th best selling:

Capture.jpg

image.jpg

Source:October 2017 VFACTS new vehicle sales

I don't think most companies compare month to month like that? My experience has always been year over year.
When Mazda reported April sales on CX-5 this year they did use month-over-month sales figure with 33.8% increase over March. We all know why theres such a big jump on month-over-month sales. ;)

Mazda has always been doing very well in Australia, but Honda is not. It’s the opposite in the USA.

CX-3 just too dang small..and I like smaller more agile vehicles generally but that one I just don't get

Had one for a loaner. Way too small, and who puts cup holders under the center arm rest? That alone is a huge miss.

Going for the trifecta..sorry guys Ex CX5 I think the sales numbers are meh at best, cx9 particularly disappointing for a very competitive (if a bit small) product. Time to invest in future growth and steal more sales from Acura and Lexus..to do that this (engine choice and better tech too maybe) has to implemented:

Better resale, more long term confidence in products. If they want to sell more cars (or should i say suvs) here beefing up that warranty and making sure people know about it would be a good start wouldn't it? Money, but money well spent i think:
4/50 b2b
6/70 powertrain or up to 4 unlimited for us power users(deadhorse) yeah i know

Sure the numbers are meh compared to...everyone else. But the SUV numbers continue to go up which is really great. If you were ever worried about Mazda leaving the US market over that paltry 3% market share, this should reassure you.
And as someone said, the increase in CPO Mazda's is HUGE for resale. Mazda said a year or so ago they want to get resale values up. That's a big part of how you do that. Move more CPO's.

This is all good news. Stop asking Mazda to move upscale. Get an Acura or Lexus if that's what you want.

^But that's the thing I think the products (CX5 and 9) are basically there already and I don't want another Acura- had a TL stick for a year- good car/wrong car- FWD w/winter tires was no better at getting up my driveway than my RWDs and then the torque steer oh the torque steer..FWD + sporty/fast/power = hard fail for me, always will. Mazda should keep their sporty edge and continue positioning themselves as the premium of the mainstream options but they need to convince ppl to try them on- longer warranty Mazda- do it and everyone wins..sales, resale, retention rate.

Gotta spend yen to make $- dealership experience is the other obvious area that must improve. I'm not saying Mercedes of Manhattan here but updated, clean, staff, service I think they need to do better vs current at least in my area which all seem to loudly exude cost cutting. Hand hewn guitar wood trim only goes so far- when the dealership looks and feels like a modified sweatshop it kind of ruins it for a lot of folks. I'm willing to look past that because I know I'm going to spend a hell of lot more enjoyable time in my new car than dealing with these goons but for many its understandably a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Sure the numbers are meh compared to...everyone else. But the SUV numbers continue to go up which is really great. If you were ever worried about Mazda leaving the US market over that paltry 3% market share, this should reassure you.
And as someone said, the increase in CPO Mazda's is HUGE for resale. Mazda said a year or so ago they want to get resale values up. That's a big part of how you do that. Move more CPO's.

This is all good news. Stop asking Mazda to move upscale. Get an Acura or Lexus if that's what you want.

Yeah I was one at least...to mention the CPO. The CPO numbers are huge in terms of public perception with quality and reliability. The spike in CPO sales is good news. The REAL question now becomes 3-5 years down the line does that consumer come back and get a new Mazda? We shall see as Skyactiv MAzdas only been around since 2013....and much of those 2013-2014 era skyactivs are doing well in the used market in 2017.

Last edited:
Back