CX-5 Sales continue to set records

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
CX-5 crushing it in sales and setting more Mazda sales records:

-The all-new Mazda CX-5 continued its record-breaking sales momentum in October, posting its best-ever October and its eighth best-ever month of CY2017, with 10,306 vehicles sold. This number represents an increase of 15.3 percent versus October of last year.
-Mazda's two-seat roadster, the Mazda MX-5 Miata, posted a year-over-year (YOY) increase of 18.2 percent. Total sales, which includes both the MX-5 soft top and MX-5 RF, remained strong in the month of October, reaching 597 vehicles sold.
-The seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV finished the month up 7.0 percent YOY, with 1,971 vehicles sold in the month of October.
-Total sales of Mazda's CX crossover SUV line, including the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9, were up 9.9 percent YOY with 13,555 vehicles sold in the month of October. The i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive option continues to be a favorite among Mazda CX-line buyers, with 63.5 percent of customers choosing the AWD option in October.
-Mazda reported Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales of 3,299 vehicles, marking an increase of 31.6 percent YOY.

The bad news: the 3 and 6 continue to slide...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mazda-reports-october-sales-143100268.html

-The all-new Mazda CX-5 continued its record-breaking sales momentum in October, posting its best-ever October and its eighth best-ever month of CY2017, with 10,306 vehicles sold. This number represents an increase of 15.3 percent versus October of last year.
-Mazda's two-seat roadster, the Mazda MX-5 Miata, posted a year-over-year (YOY) increase of 18.2 percent. Total sales, which includes both the MX-5 soft top and MX-5 RF, remained strong in the month of October, reaching 597 vehicles sold.
-The seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 crossover SUV finished the month up 7.0 percent YOY, with 1,971 vehicles sold in the month of October.
-Total sales of Mazda's CX crossover SUV line, including the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9, were up 9.9 percent YOY with 13,555 vehicles sold in the month of October. The i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive option continues to be a favorite among Mazda CX-line buyers, with 63.5 percent of customers choosing the AWD option in October.
-Mazda reported Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales of 3,299 vehicles, marking an increase of 31.6 percent YOY.

Glad to see this, minus the 3 and 6 slipping of course, but with trends here, not surprised.

Looks like the CX-3 slipped too.

CX-3 just too dang small..and I like smaller more agile vehicles generally but that one I just don't get

Yeah I didn't care for the CX-3 either when I tried sitting in one at an oil change.

I have felt like the Mazda 3 hatch and cx-3 were competing in a similar space.

It was supposed to replace the Mazda 2 in the states wasn't it?

Yet it seems to be more stepping on the 3 hatch's toes, agreed.

It was supposed to replace the Mazda 2 in the states wasn't it?

Yet it seems to be more stepping on the 3 hatch's toes, agreed.

With my son, we crossed shopped both. He wanted the CX-3. But the 5-door Mazda 3 hatch was substantially cheaper and much more spacious. There is no way a real adult can sit in the back of a CX-3.

The other thing I noticed is that the dealer inventory of CX-3 is generally terrible. With that said, with all the deals being offered on the 3, nobody is buying them, which is bad because it is a great little car. I wonder what sales of the Honda Civc are like?

The automaker Tuesday reported October sales of 127,353 vehicles, up 0.9 percent from October 2016. Credit for that boost goes to the Honda Civic, which had a 15 percent increase in sales to 30,319 units and the new 2018 Honda Accord, which was up 4.7 percent to 26,740.

65% intake rate for awd model - eating into Subbie's market.

CPO intake rate increase bodes well in that folks are in the market for used CPO Mazdas. Always a good thing in terms of public perception.

Mazda3 is getting killed by the new Civic and with good reason. I'd prolly go with the Civic on paper pending actual test drives.

Mazda6...even with a stronger engine won't sell in the US as much as other sedans....but I'd likely buy one though :)

6 is a very good sedan. Record mpg numbers, .26 drag co eff. Really good ground clearance. Flat floor when seats are folded. Overall really good.
Its just perception + no Diesel AWD unlike Europe and Japan.

I feel I should have gone with CPO 6 instead of my Camry - but CPO inventory is low and more expensive with respect to Camry.

I'm shallow and looks are huge to me. The 3 beats the Civic for me. Plus I'd just never buy something so mainstream.

Last edited:
65% intake rate for awd model - eating into Subbie's market.

CPO intake rate increase bodes well in that folks are in the market for used CPO Mazdas. Always a good thing in terms of public perception.

Mazda3 is getting killed by the new Civic and with good reason. I'd prolly go with the Civic on paper pending actual test drives.

Mazda6...even with a stronger engine won't sell in the US as much as other sedans....but I'd likely buy one though :)

The Civic is really nice, especially the hatch version. It feel fast and sporty and has great interior room, CarPlay, and nice color options. A couple of things that are better on the Mazda 3 are the blind spot monitoring system, the wheels, the interior sound and the price. A comparable Civic Hatch is ~3-4K more in real dollars than the Mazda 3 version. And people are still buying them at an almost 10X rate. The civic is also very, very noisy. The engine noise, the CVT hum and wind noise are actually higher in the Civic than in the Mazda 3, which is shocking as the 3 is not quiet by any means.

The 3 needs a makeover and fast. The top of the line 3 needs to be as fast as a Civic, get better mileage and handle better. And cost less. A tall order for a small company.

The Civic is really nice, especially the hatch version. It feel fast and sporty and has great interior room, CarPlay, and nice color options. A couple of things that are better on the Mazda 3 are the blind spot monitoring system, the wheels, the interior sound and the price. A comparable Civic Hatch is ~3-4K more in real dollars than the Mazda 3 version. And people are still buying them at an almost 10X rate. The civic is also very, very noisy. The engine noise, the CVT hum and wind noise are actually higher in the Civic than in the Mazda 3, which is shocking as the 3 is not quiet by any means.

The 3 needs a makeover and fast. The top of the line 3 needs to be as fast as a Civic, get better mileage and handle better. And cost less. A tall order for a small company.

That's the problem. Mazda's lose on paper. So people go to Honda, get a great deal with the promise of resale value later because of the name, and they sell an ugly car. The difference in dealerships near me is pretty astounding as well. It was like shopping in the stone ages with Mazda, Honda had full transparency with MF, residuals, and pricing. They were super aggressive, but at least they put it all on the table.

It is probably unwise to compete with Honda/Toyota heads on.
Both have much more $$$ to spend on marketing, and they have the reliability imagine and resale value.

Mazda would be better off moving upscale to Volvo level, and sell the safest, prettiest and very reliable vehicles from Japan.
That should be a good marketing position for Mazda.
I have 3 Mazdas now, and have owned 3 Hondas in the past and 1 Toyota/Prius.

Yeah I didn't care for the CX-3 either when I tried sitting in one at an oil change.

Similar experience happened to me and my family. We have a 2014 3 hatchback and we were thinking about getting the CX3 for our daughter for the convenience of having AWD for winter.
What a deception we had when we sat on it. It is smaller than the 3 even the exterior does not show that much of a difference, considering that the CX 3 is based of the Mazda 2.
Needless to say that we sat on the CX5 and we fell in love with it and that is what we got.
Now wife wants to change her 3 for a CX 5[emoji848].

Back