CX-5 reliability -- let's get better information ASAP

I'm on board - put the CX-5 on when I disposed of my CR-V. Also - still got the 48 Chevy as well. Drove it to shows and cruise-ins all Summer, and, nothing broke :0)

Regards:
Oldengineer

I joined TD a couple of months back when I started researching new vehicles. Some excellent information! I hope that most of the members continue to be honest in their responses. I've read a couple of reliability posts that sounded a little "iffy"... like somebody had an axe to grind. That would be a dis-service to the other members.

Dave

Thanks for the site info, I signed up both my wife's Mazda 6 and my CX-5 we got in June of this year. It will be good to see how others are doing with their Mazda's.

We've updated our reliability stats for the CX-5 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2014.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2015 CX-5: 0, low
2014 CX-5: 17, low
2013 CX-5: 23, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2014 CX-5: 87, < 1
2013 CX-5: 82, 1

To view the repairs behind these numbers, check the stats for other cars, and sign up to help improve this information (next update in February):

Mazda CX-5 reliability ratings and comparisons

New stuff this time. We've updated our reliability stats for the CX-5 to include owner experiences through the end of 2014. Plus we've added reliability trends graphs. These indicate how a model's reliability has changed as it has aged, and how different model years performed when the same age.

2015 CX-5: 5, low
2014 CX-5: 18, low
2013 CX-5: 23, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2014 CX-5: 85, < 1
2013 CX-5: 80, < 1

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

I've attached the new graph.

Attachments

• Reliability-trends-CX-5.png
    Reliability-trends-CX-5.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 205
For reliability, I want to know how reliable it will be when it's 10 years old and 120,000 miles on it. Most all cars, even Chrysler, are pretty reliable the first few years.

For reliability, I want to know how reliable it will be when it's 10 years old and 120,000 miles on it. Most all cars, even Chrysler, are pretty reliable the first few years.

how do you propose that be done on a vehicle that came out 2 years ago?

So, how have these cars been doing lately?

Our reliability stats for the CX-5 now include owner experiences through March 31, 2015. (Others are nearly a year behind.)

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year ("low" is best):

2015 CX-5: 7, low
2014 CX-5: 25, low
2013 CX-5: 18, low

2014 CX-5: 77, < 1
2013 CX-5: 82, < 1

Next updates in August and November. Great participation with these, but additional participants are always helpful--you can't have too large a sample size.

For repair descriptions, the stats for other cars, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Mazda CX-5 reliability

Last edited:
Our reliability stats for the CX-5 now cover the year ending June 30, 2015. (Others are over a year behind, and so report how these cars were doing when a year younger.)

Repair trips per 100 cars:

2016 CX-5: 0, low, small sample size
2015 CX-5: 5, low
2014 CX-5: 30, moderate
2013 CX-5: 18, low

2015 CX-5: 93, < 1
2014 CX-5: 74, < 1
2013 CX-5: 85, < 1

If a model year isn't listed, or its sample size is small, then we especially need more owners involved.

For the descriptions of all reported repairs, results for other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Signed up both cars. 2015 CX5 and 2008 Honda Accord V6 six speed, double Zoom Zoom.

Last edited:
We've updated our reliability stats for the CX-5 to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015.

2016 CX-5: 0, low
2015 CX-5: 8, low
2014 CX-5: 23, low
2013 CX-5: 19, low

2015 CX-5: 90, < 1
2014 CX-5: 78, < 1
2013 CX-5: 84, < 1

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information:

I've signed up with our 2013 Mazda 3 iSport and and my 2016 CX-5 GT..!

How does this work? I signed up but after that where and how do I submit data? Or, it's all via link in an email or something?

No, they aren't. I had a 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee, and I pulled the service records for it from Day 1.

-Oil pan leaking, 14K miles
-Water pump, 62K miles
-Replaced front L/R LCA's because bushings were so rotted the axles hit the struts on firm/WOT shifts. Yeah. THAT ROTTED!
...and when I got it, the transmission was leaking, and had been so long that SOMEONE had RTV'ed a bolt into the dry-hole in the trans case. I took it to the dealer, who dropped the whole driveline (minus engine), and replaced a seal, all under warranty. Oh, it began leaking again in 6 months...
-Water pump again at around 87K miles

So, no, even a new Chrysler is a piece of s***. I can't tell you how many patients I have seen who say things like "Yeah, we don't like ours either, we have a 2015, and it's already on the 2nd transmission..."

That said, go look at Chrysler's forums. FILLED with "my s*** broke".
Now come back here. You see minor niggles about floppy hoods and shaking mirrors. But not fluid leaks, busted transmissions, and blown motors.

No, they aren't. I had a 2010 Grand Jeep Cherokee, and I pulled the service records for it from Day 1.

-Oil pan leaking, 14K miles
-Water pump, 62K miles
-Replaced front L/R LCA's because bushings were so rotted the axles hit the struts on firm/WOT shifts. Yeah. THAT ROTTED!
...and when I got it, the transmission was leaking, and had been so long that SOMEONE had RTV'ed a bolt into the dry-hole in the trans case. I took it to the dealer, who dropped the whole driveline (minus engine), and replaced a seal, all under warranty. Oh, it began leaking again in 6 months...
-Water pump again at around 87K miles

So, no, even a new Chrysler is a piece of s***. I can't tell you how many patients I have seen who say things like "Yeah, we don't like ours either, we have a 2015, and it's already on the 2nd transmission..."

That said, go look at Chrysler's forums. FILLED with "my s*** broke".
Now come back here. You see minor niggles about floppy hoods and shaking mirrors. But not fluid leaks, busted transmissions, and blown motors.

Salesman bought a brand new Grand Cherokee. Didn't make 200 miles when the transmission line clamp popped off and sprayed the entire engine with fluid. Needless to say he was pissed. Dealer said it was not tightened during assembly. (rlaugh) Mercedes couldn't fix them when they owned them and Fiat is right on par.

We've updated our reliability stats for the CX-5 to include owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources.

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2016 CX-5: 11, low
2015 CX-5: 7, low
2014 CX-5: 23, low
2013 CX-5: 16, low

2015 CX-5: 92, < 1
2014 CX-5: 79, < 1
2013 CX-5: 84, < 1

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Back