2013~2016 CX-5 reliability, I want to purchase one

Hello fellow members. I’m very interested in buying a 2016 Mazda CX-5 touring but Im clueless on it. I’ve searched reviews on YouTube for this vehicle. I read up on that that the sky active technology was a great improvement for the 2.5 liter engines. I’m looking for the best price/mileage as well. Any more info y’all can give me to make my decision better? How many miles do the 2016 cx-5’s last if taken care of. Thanks again and any info helps. P.s. I just signed up to this forum today.

I have had a 2013, 2015, and 2016.5. All Touring models with the extra BOSE/MOONROOF package.

I have 57k currently on our 2016.5, and have had to replace tires and battery. Other than that it has just been oil changes and tire rotations. (the 2016.5 Touring has heated seats, whereas the 2016 Touring does not)

Ive seen two 2016 cx-5 for 15k with 40k- 55k miles. That’s all I could afford is 15k. I’ll take the touring, Heated seats doesnt sound appealing to me especially because I’m from ca.

I have had a 2013, 2015, and 2016.5. All Touring models with the extra BOSE/MOONROOF package.

I have 57k currently on our 2016.5, and have had to replace tires and battery. Other than that it has just been oil changes and tire rotations. (the 2016.5 Touring has heated seats, whereas the 2016 Touring does not)
Thanks for your reply

The 2.5 skyactiv motor has been used by Mazda across the entire lineup for the most part. The drivetrain has been above average as far as the reliability. Only common complaints I see for the 2016 are rear electronic parking brake issues. For what it's worth we use our parking brake every time we park the vehicle have not had any issues. A small number of castings were made incorrectly

The 2.5 skyactiv motor has been used by Mazda across the entire lineup for the most part. The drivetrain has been above average as far as the reliability. Only common complaints I see for the 2016 are rear electronic parking brake issues. For what it's worth we use our parking brake every time we park the vehicle have not had any issues. A small number of castings were made incorrectly
Thank you for the info. I’ll test out the parking break when I test drive it. 😂

Have a 2016 Touring along with 2019 Reserve. Had the Touring since Apr 2015. Zero problems, only oil and tire rotation. Still have the original OEM tires (which will be replaced soon). I also use the EPB each time I park and have had no problems with rear calipers.
You can probably check with dealer to see if there was any problems with the rear calipers and if they were replaced per TSB during warranty period.

As far as how long they last -- who knows. If taken care of and serviced they could easily go 250,000 before any real problems pop up.

Best thing to do would be to get the service records on the vehicle you're thinking about purchasing.
Also, have a qualified mechanic give it the once over. Know what you're buying.

Thank you for the info. I’ll test out the parking break when I test drive it. 😂
No, it’s not just the issue on Electrical Parking Brake, EPB, but the rear brake calipers with build-in EPB motor could drag the pads, or worse, lock up the rear brakes while driving. All 2016 rear brake calipers are affected but the severity is different. Mazda has revised the rear brake calipers to eliminate the problem. Read the TSB and there’s a date code on caliper to verify if your calipers are revised version or not:

TSB R052/16C: Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

IMO, the best gen-1 CX-5 is 2016.5 MY. 2016 CX-5 had some new changes and some of them do come up problems (EPB、LED DRLs etc.). Try to find a 2016.5 CX-5 if you can. For 2016 CX-5, Mazda has issued a recall on LED DRLs so you’re covered if the Touring has Technology Package, or both LED headlights would cost you $2,500! You should try to verify if the rear brake calipers have been replaced with revised version by checking with service record if possible, or the date code on calipers. Most likely your calipers have not been changed though as most people simply replaced the rear pads and never tried to get his Mazda dealer performing the TSB to replace the calipers.

Try to get lower mileage one if possible, so that you may still have some 5-year / 60K-mile powertrain warranty left to fix anything you could find such as timing chain cover leak.

I'd highly recommend a vehicle inspection by independent mechanic on anything you are serious about. I've dealt with oil leaks on mine ('15) so make sure you check area around the timing cover on passenger side of motor. Have someone drop the cover off bottom of motor to ensure there are no oil leaks noticeable on underside. I had a rear main seal leak that that was repaired early last year.

Our 2016 GT now has 118K trouble free miles on it. Other than maintenance and a couple recalls it has been rock solid. It still drives and handles great too.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2013 that my daughter in law drives now with 100K+ miles on it, a 2016 that my daughter drives with 60K on it and a new 2020. All are GTs no problems other than batteries, tires, brake pads and wife banging into things like garage door and curbs etc. The 2020 Blind Spot Monitoring seems to be smarter and a bit less sensitive as when you pass a car it does not light up as it must think you know it is there as you just passed it, the range for cars approaching from the rear is a bit shorter. It may be less sensitive due to the paint sealer the dealer put on before I got it...

So has Mazda actually improved 2.5 Skyactiv design in newer applications? Surprised no reports or TSBs for newer applications across more models, but I get that new car owners aren't inspecting for leaks.

Would this affect your willingness to recommend new Mazdas to others?

My '16 has been fine, after I sorted out infotainment and DRLs, but I'm watching the timing cover and EPB nervously

EPB is an issue on a few 2016s but a little oil seepage does not have much effect IMO. Mazda did add cylinder deactivation which is a debatable addition, but there is a lot of new teck in the car itself - temp gage, more/better dash info, seat memory, seat ventilation, cross traffic notification, radar cruise, lane following notification, album art on Sirius, cylinder deactivation status, interior light auto turnoff, etc.

If I never dropped my lower splash shield I would have likely never known I had a rear main seal leak. The timing cover leaks are easy to see from the top. Short term owners may not care but if you are a long term owner take a look.

I've reached the 5th stage of grief with my TC leak---> Acceptance. :)

Last edited:
the fluid filled serpentine belt tensioner leaking is a minor annoyance and should be considered a consumable in these motors.

other minor oil seepage can be jokingly seen as factory rust prevention.

Back