CX-5 over a Forester?

Hey thanks! Yeah I really think he will enjoy it as well as me. Just got home. I guess I did the step by step thing here on the forum. I will be here a lot. I love modding cars. It's good to be here. I just learned my first slang term here on the forum about this car. Tit Flash!

LOL - did the girls help?

I've actually been going back and forth with the same dilemma. I tried to convince myself to like the Forester more. It's a sensible AWD with great visibility, more interior space, and an awesome gigantic moonroof. I actually started to find it appealing. But the CX-5 is just a really nice looking vehicle with better driving dynamics and a pretty solid reliability record. I'm 99.9% sure I'll end up buying a CX-5 this weekend. I just hope it has enough room in the back for a rear-facing car seat, as my wife and I are pretty tall.

LOL - did the girls help?

No girls required!

@ ng01, I wish you luck in hoping you find what you want car shopping this weekend. I'm very impressed with the CX-5 so far. It definitely is the most technologically advanced car I've owned.

@ ng01, I wish you luck in hoping you find what you want car shopping this weekend. I'm very impressed with the CX-5 so far. It definitely is the most technologically advanced car I've owned.

Thanks. I'm looking at the same trim level you purchased (Touring). Did you end up with FWD or AWD?

If you are going for max fun then get the awd too and of course mods.

We went FWD basically because it was cheaper, and don't drive in snow. We do some light off roading when camping, but nothing to rough to where a FWD vehicle with a little ground clearance couldn't handle.

I prefer the CX-5. The problem is, my Dad is trying to convince me into a Forester and I just don't care for them. As a matter of fact I hate them. He is convinced it's the best car on earth, and trying to talk me out of it like crazy. I've given it my best shot and he still is being obstinate about the whole thing.
What are some good arguments that can be made that I should choose the CX-5 over the Forester?
Please help!
I think the Forester is a much better vehicle, all around, but the CX-5 has its fans, too, and it's cheaper in "typical trim levels", and there are more Mazda dealerships than Subaru, so I went CX-5.

I've actually been going back and forth with the same dilemma. I tried to convince myself to like the Forester more. It's a sensible AWD with great visibility, more interior space, and an awesome gigantic moonroof. I actually started to find it appealing. But the CX-5 is just a really nice looking vehicle with better driving dynamics and a pretty solid reliability record. I'm 99.9% sure I'll end up buying a CX-5 this weekend. I just hope it has enough room in the back for a rear-facing car seat, as my wife and I are pretty tall.

I would definitely try one out with a carseat if I were you. Our passenger's seat has to be almost all the way forward to fit our rear-facing carseat. My wife is short so it doesn't affect us much, but for tall people I could foresee it being a problem.

I think the Forester is a much better vehicle, all around, but the CX-5 has its fans, too, and it's cheaper in "typical trim levels", and there are more Mazda dealerships than Subaru, so I went CX-5.
I would politely disagree. :) Of course, that is my personal preference when comparing features that are most important to me such as user interface, comfort, driving dynamics, and aesthetics. Perhaps posting why or what features you prefer in the Forrester over the CX-5 would be more beneficial to the OP than a blanket statement that doesn't explain very much.

I would politely disagree. :) Of course, that is my personal preference when comparing features that are most important to me such as user interface, comfort, driving dynamics, and aesthetics. Perhaps posting why or what features you prefer in the Forrester over the CX-5 would be more beneficial to the OP than a blanket statement that doesn't explain very much.
Honestly? I like the styling of the forester a LOT more. It doesn't look so girly. That said, my PERSONAL experience is that the CX5 is a POS. However, to be fair, "my experience is a sample of 1". Likely the two vehicles are pretty similar in the reliability department if you keep them on fair ground. Moving offroad, I don't think anyone would give the CX-5 the nod. However, unless you get the 2.0XT forester, the price of driving a more manly looking vehicle is about 1 second 0-60, and so since I cared less about the "message" my car sends, I opted for the CX-5 due to that one thing. However, since it's broken, I find myself wishing I had gotten the Forester. Had I gotten the Forester and it s*** the bed, I'd likely be wishing I had the CX-5.

Basically, pay your money and make your choice, and don't expect YOUR experience to match anyone ELSE'S.

^Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the Mazda.
I never really associated gender to a vehicle, that's sort of funny though!
I'm actually still waiting on my CX-5 to arrive from the port. They gave us a borrower CX-5 in the meantime. It's frickin nice!

Yeah the cx5 trumps the Forester in the looks department imo. Subaru vehicles are just so uninspiring and boring. Especially their suv/cuvs. You made a great choice with the cx5. Seriously a blast to drive. Something you will not find at all in a Forester.

Did they give you the same version loaner as the one you bought? How long till you get yours?

Agree with the suggestion to have your Pops drive both. Make sure you drive the Subaru first. When he steps out of the CX-5 with the smile on his face you'll end up driving it home. No contest.

We've owned 3 Subs and put a lot of miles on them, great cars, love them. We own a CX-5 now. One more thought, if he's an old hot-rodder show him what Sky-Activ is all about. Good stuff, it'll make some sense to him.

Honestly? I like the styling of the forester a LOT more. It doesn't look so girly. That said, my PERSONAL experience is that the CX5 is a POS. However, to be fair, "my experience is a sample of 1". Likely the two vehicles are pretty similar in the reliability department if you keep them on fair ground. Moving offroad, I don't think anyone would give the CX-5 the nod. However, unless you get the 2.0XT forester, the price of driving a more manly looking vehicle is about 1 second 0-60, and so since I cared less about the "message" my car sends, I opted for the CX-5 due to that one thing. However, since it's broken, I find myself wishing I had gotten the Forester. Had I gotten the Forester and it s*** the bed, I'd likely be wishing I had the CX-5.

Basically, pay your money and make your choice, and don't expect YOUR experience to match anyone ELSE'S.

Getting rid of the corny oem wheel and it won't look feminine. Especially the old style ones.

Getting rid of the corny oem wheel and it won't look feminine. Especially the old style ones.
It's a cutesy curvy roundy soft edged cuv. Nothing is going to make it masculine. If you care about image as a male, don't buy one. Thats my advice. I personally don't much care about what people think my vehicle says about me, so it didn't hold much weight. However, I obviously wish it were more broad shouldered and angular and manly, if I had had my say in it.

Last edited:
It's a cutesy curvy roundy soft edged cuv. Nothing is going to make it masculine. If you care about image as a male, don't buy one. Thats my advice. I personally don't much care about what people think my vehicle says about me, so it didn't hold much weight. However, I obviously wish it were more broad shouldered and angular and manly, if I had had my say in it.

Indeed I read in Vietnamese market, men usually prefer the CR-V not only because of Honda's reputation, but also because it looks more "manly" than the CX-5. The latest Tucson, although looks a lot like CX-5, is purposely made to minimize its feminine look. However, the look of the CX-5 is just right to me (a guy with a wife and a daughter). The only thing that I would change a bit is the front, it could be a little slimmer, but then I can't think of how it should change, so I think it's good as is -- the designer must have gone through the options and found the right balance.

Just look at the 2016 Miata, it's curvy but I'm drooling over it :)

Last edited:

Eh angular is old and boxy. When i look at the sexiest aircraft (and indeed some of the mose maneuverable) are curvy. I get so many positive remarks on my car, in person from enthusiasts and people who aren't even into cars and web mazda groups. Common words I see about my car are aggressive, dope, nice... never girly and maybe a mom joke until a picture and mods are posted. Groups are pretty cutthroat and I rarely get a negative comment. Considering how many people get bashed on for bad looking mods I take that as a sign I mod tatsefully and unlike many its function and form. Plus imo the bulging appearance given by the curves in the door and the fender line kinda seem like muscles. The creased hood is kinda like a tractor trailer.

Last edited:
Indeed I read in Vietnamese market, men usually prefer the CR-V not only because of Honda's reputation, but also because it looks more "manly" than the CX-5. The latest Tucson, although looks a lot like CX-5, is purposely made to minimize its masculine look. However, the look of the CX-5 is just right to me (a guy with a wife and a daughter). The only thing that I would change a bit is the front, it could be a little slimmer, but then I can't think of how it should change, so I think it's good as is -- the designer must have gone through the options and found the right balance.

Just look at the 2016 Miata, it's curvy but I'm drooling over it :)

The proportions become better when some of the excessive for most ground clearance is dialed out and or pizza cutter wheels changed.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think the CX-5 can look really cool with the right painting/decal. I like this photo of the Roadster a lot, the combination of black/white/red is very well designed, especially just a hint of red lines at the bottom.

http://www.motorionline.com/wp-cont...-e-concept-per-il-Salone-di-Tokyo-2016_15.jpg

Or the CX-3, which totally can be copied to the CX-5:
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/mazda_cx-3_racing_concept_1.jpeg
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/cx3-rear-ts-1512220807026730-1.jpg

Back