CX-5 Muffler Delete

kampfire

:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD w/ Tech Package
I got bored one day and decided to remove the 2 bolts on the exhaust and see what the car sounds like without a muffler. Results were promising. Pro tip, theres a gasket on there, don't drive away without removing it.

Sounds ok but has a raspy note I don't care for. I'd also be concerned about burning the exhaust valves due to the drop in back pressure. You've heard this with the Harley's that do the pop-pop-pop when they let off the gas. Once the exhaust valves are burned you loose some amount of compression and the cx5 relies on a high 13:1 compression ratio to get the mileage it gets. Loud is ok as long as your engine is designed to work that way. Maybe if Mazda is using titanium valves and seats you might be ok. Flowmaster only lists street mufflers up to 2004 for Mazdas. Hopefully they'll come out with something for the cx5.

Not as loud as expected, but converter does silence a lot.

Sounds ok but has a raspy note I don't care for. I'd also be concerned about burning the exhaust valves due to the drop in back pressure. You've heard this with the Harley's that do the pop-pop-pop when they let off the gas. Once the exhaust valves are burned you loose some amount of compression and the cx5 relies on a high 13:1 compression ratio to get the mileage it gets. Loud is ok as long as your engine is designed to work that way. Maybe if Mazda is using titanium valves and seats you might be ok. Flowmaster only lists street mufflers up to 2004 for Mazdas. Hopefully they'll come out with something for the cx5.

I think what your thinking of when you have a burnt valve is a leak right by the exhaust manifold. Theres no way to burn a valve by removing a muffler that far down stream.

I agree with the raspy note. One thing I found out through the process is that the rear exhaust gasket is the same as used on the current gen MX-5. The muffler also looks the same in the schematic photos from the dealer. I'd guess that maybe they are the same muffler. Be interesting to check part numbers. If so maybe current MX-5 aftermarket exhausts would work.

I'm thinking some 4" tips would look better than 3".

Back