CX-5 Mild Hybrid

This is coming from Mazda Canada where they seem to suggest this is coming next year to the CX-30 and CX-5. This is different from the CX-50 hybrid which is based on the Toyota Hybrid system and is coming in 2024. The MHEV will likely be the SkyActive G hybrid that is available in Europe with both the 2.0l and 2.5l.

two core crossover models will also include mild hybrid (MHEV) powertrains for increased efficiency and improved emissions.

Wonder what the four new hybrid models will be. Also, nice to hear from the horse's mouth that the CX-90 and CX-70 PHEV will be coming next year!

I have been checking out some of the reviews. In my opinion, the product is rushed. It could probably use a little more development time, but Mazda is late to the move to electric and everyone knows it. I wouldn't buy one, but they are selling fine so far.

I think the hybrid sounds good when accelerating and performs well, the fastest Mazda yet. There is a market for performance hybrids like this. The 8 speed transmission is certainly an engineering improvement.

Why do I say it is rushed?

Check out Autogefuhl's reviews. These are hand picked cars gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Specifically, 14 minutes in. Would you like to spend $44,000-$50,000+ and hear that grinding sound? Then, have to hassle with the dealer trying to get it covered/fixed. (Better be recording all of your drives, or it would be declared normal performance). No thank you.

Here's the earlier review from April for context.

Last edited:
Why do I say it is rushed?

Check out Autogefuhl's reviews. These are hand picked cars gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Specifically, 14 minutes in. Would you like to spend $44,000-$50,000+ and hear that grinding sound? Then, have to hassle with the dealer trying to get it covered/fixed. (Better be recording all of your drives, or it would be declared normal performance). No thank you.

Here's the earlier review from April for context.

I am fine with Europe being the beta testers :D. Most of the gremlins will be ironed out for NA release of the 90/70.

Back