CX-5 Liftgate Issue - Easy Solution

Hi everyone. I just created an account to post how I solved this issue on my wife's 2018 cx9. It doesnt fix the underlying issue but makes it much easierto deal woth. She originally would have to use a socket but I found this on Amazon and it's awesome. A simple unscrew breaks the connection and tightening it restores it. So much easier. Frustrating that there doesn't appear to be a fix from Mazda and has happened in the middle of a downpour.

I have no affiliation with the seller or product.

Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch https://a.co/d/25ytcgT

Hi everyone. I just created an account to post how I solved this issue on my wife's 2018 cx9. It doesnt fix the underlying issue but makes it much easierto deal woth. She originally would have to use a socket but I found this on Amazon and it's awesome. A simple unscrew breaks the connection and tightening it restores it. So much easier. Frustrating that there doesn't appear to be a fix from Mazda and has happened in the middle of a downpour.

I have no affiliation with the seller or product.

Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch https://a.co/d/25ytcgT
Great idea.

Nothing like having your lift open by itself overnight or during rainstorm.

Nice, quick and easy.

Your post got me thinking to maybe install an inline switch or a front panel switch to disconnect power to the liftgate only.

I'll have to figure it out as electronic isn't my specialty.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried taking a small piece of plastic and taping it over the fob's tailgate switch? I'm just asking since I've had the lifter on my last two CX-5's with the big fob and never had the tailgate go up on its own, but I always take the key out of my pocket as soon as walk in the house. If your wife keeps the fob in her purse I could see that being easily triggered by accident.

What about removing the fuse for the liftgate? Seems it would be WAY easier than popping the hood and messing with a battery disconnect.

Plus, when you disconnect the battery, you lose a bunch of settings no?

When the liftgate acts up, can it not be used manually?

Fuses can be tricky and tough to pull out. Luckily never had an issue with settings.

And no the liftgate has an electronic lock so it won't lock or unlock when acting up. You can crawl over seats and pop off cover to get to "emergency" cable but that's a last resort.

... Frustrating that there doesn't appear to be a fix from Mazda ...
Actually, it appears that > this < TSB covers the situation you're describing, along with the resolution from Mazda. The replacement part, along with the waterproofing materials are available for under $100, and anyone having this problem with no BB warranty left, can decide if it's worth a try.

Also, this water-infiltration issue at the lift gate switch is not unique to the CX-9 models listed in that TSB. There is a similar TSB for both of our CX-5, and I'm actually planning on doing the preventative waterproofing described in the CX-5 TSB (which is not the same procedure as with the CX-9).

And I agree 100% with everyone who posted about not caring about, or wanting to have the power lift gate.

Back