2013~2016 CX-5 Headlight low beams ineffective for distance lighting

The projectors are designed this way. The sharp cutoff is less glaring to oncoming traffic.

In fact, standard non projector halogen reflectors and lenses are designed to give you the same sort of beam cut off, but the optics have never been as good as projectors, so you get the sort of bleed over and not the sharp cut off that projectors give. I do agree, however, that the sharp cut off is hard to get used to and the lack of bleed over takes some getting used to. Projectors, whether halogen or HID throw a lot more focused light out than the traditional reflectors, so I think the cut off is almost mandatory.

Do be careful on adjustments. In my old car which had AFS HIDs, people were experiencing the same discomfort with the cut off and adjusted upwards. Some over adjusted, going past the limits and $1500 later were the proud owners of replacement AFS HID projector units.

They are bloody strange eh! Never seen this before either, with standard or xenons, there just isn't any leaked light into the distance to let your eyes focus on it, just a sharp cut off horizon that seems to hypnotise your eyes! Luckily, that line is fairly high so it's not all bad, I don't do enough pitch black driving to worry about it though.

My 2024 signature has awesome headlights. Has solved my nightblindness issue. I had no idea headlights could work so well. The high beams are INSANE. Lowbeams were just fine and light up wider, better than my old car.

You realize that this thread is over ten years old, right? Many/most of the posters are no longer around.

Back