CX-5 Front Washer Pressure low

I have the same problem. Have a Mazda CX5. I have taken off the nozzles, soaked them in vinegar, then blew them out with compressed air. Working fine. Listened to motor - working fine. Then I started taking the hose apart at different junctions. Ran the windshield washer and the water comes out of the hose in a strong stream. However, there is one small part that is hidden behind the cover that runs all along the dash under the hood. Seems to me there must be a Y or some kind of junction in the hose where it splits the supply of water to run to both nozzles. Somewhere in there must be a clog. Any ideas? I checked into taking that cover off - looks too complicated.

I have the same problem. Have a Mazda CX5. I have taken off the nozzles, soaked them in vinegar, then blew them out with compressed air. Working fine. Listened to motor - working fine. Then I started taking the hose apart at different junctions. Ran the windshield washer and the water comes out of the hose in a strong stream. However, there is one small part that is hidden behind the cover that runs all along the dash under the hood. Seems to me there must be a Y or some kind of junction in the hose where it splits the supply of water to run to both nozzles. Somewhere in there must be a clog. Any ideas? I checked into taking that cover off - looks too complicated.
I can't remember exactly what I did as it's a while ago now, but I seem to recall that the valve I replaced was originally in a different place than I put the new one in. I moved it so it was in a more accessible position. It was either in the wing panel, or under the plastic, but the hose had some manoeuvrability that meant I could pull some through to help. I did also pull some through from the nozzle end I think, and I think I managed to get to a 'T' piece at the junction for the first nozzle this way. Sounds like you'll have already tried that though. Sorry I can't remember more about what I discovered when I was trying to diagnose it.

Good luck! Keep us posted as it's sure to happen to one of us one day!

It should be the clogged one-way check valve. See post #15 and #17 in this thread by JimmyCx5.

I can't remember exactly what I did as it's a while ago now, but I seem to recall that the valve I replaced was originally in a different place than I put the new one in. I moved it so it was in a more accessible position. It was either in the wing panel, or under the plastic, but the hose had some manoeuvrability that meant I could pull some through to help. I did also pull some through from the nozzle end I think, and I think I managed to get to a 'T' piece at the junction for the first nozzle this way. Sounds like you'll have already tried that though. Sorry I can't remember more about what I discovered when I was trying to diagnose it.

Good luck! Keep us posted as it's sure to happen to one of us one day!
Thanks. Checked it again. I can see the Y or T piece through the plastic cover, but can't get to it. Also can't pull out enough on either side. Will have to take it to Mazda.

Thanks. Checked it again. I can see the Y or T piece through the plastic cover, but can't get to it. Also can't pull out enough on either side. Will have to take it to Mazda.
You sure it's not the one way valve shown in the picture? I maybe didn't explain properly before but the original valve in mine had a foam cover on it, so it wasn't immediately obvious it was a valve inside. At first I just thought it was a cover to prevent the hose rubbing on something.

Edit: when I tested it, the old valve worked, but it was inhibiting the flow enough to make the spray not work. I discovered that to the right of the valve there was another join with an approx 3 inch piece of rubber hose. There was enough slack when I pulled some hose through that I could temporarily remove the 3inch piece and use the black straight joint to rejoin it. i.e. without the faulty valve. Maybe this is worth a try?

Or if not, hopefully the dealer won't cost you too much! Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
You sure it's not the one way valve shown in the picture? I maybe didn't explain properly before but the original valve in mine had a foam cover on it, so it wasn't immediately obvious it was a valve inside. At first I just thought it was a cover to prevent the hose rubbing on something.

Edit: when I tested it, the old valve worked, but it was inhibiting the flow enough to make the spray not work. I discovered that to the right of the valve there was another join with an approx 3 inch piece of rubber hose. There was enough slack when I pulled some hose through that I could temporarily remove the 3inch piece and use the black straight joint to rejoin it. i.e. without the faulty valve. Maybe this is worth a try?

Or if not, hopefully the dealer won't cost you too much! Fingers crossed.
No, I looked at your picture. Don't see anything like that. When I pulled the hose apart just before it disappears behind the plastic cover, it pumped out a full stream of water when turning on the wiper/washer. Has to be something behind that cover. Hate to give up.

There’s only one pump which runs backwards or should I say, the opposite way for the rear pump. I’ve got PDFs but I can’t get at them until mid October 🙄. I prefer two pump systems myself.

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to share my experience with my wife's 2013 CX-5..

Thank you everyone for sharing as we've had the same issue with the washer jets!

I just removed my valve (although blowing in either hole works so I suspect it's a filter). Jets now work llbetter than new! There was also a short bit of hose before the valve which I also removed as used the hose connector on there to reconnect the hose after the valve.

Cheers

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to share my experience with my wife's 2013 CX-5..

Thank you everyone for sharing as we've had the same issue with the washer jets!

I just removed my valve (although blowing in either hole works so I suspect it's a filter). Jets now work llbetter than new! There was also a short bit of hose before the valve which I also removed as used the hose connector on there to reconnect the hose after the valve.

Cheers
Great. Glad to know it was of help.

I've solved it!
Finally had time to try putting hot water in, which didn't help, but while I was waiting to see if it took time to work I had another tinker and found a no return valve on the pipe just by where it comes out of the wing. The valve is wrapped in padding to stop it shaking around, but I thought the padding didn't have anything else in it. Anyway, the valve seems to be jammed. Taking it out solved it, and I've ordered a new one from eBay for £1.80.
Glad I didn't take it to the dealer! Thanks for all your advice.
JimmyCx5 thanks for sharing this. I was having the same problem on my 2015 CX-5 and after lots of searching found your post. Bought a new part on Amazon for just over £4, all sorted now 👍

Back