CX-5 Dash cam hardwire installation

I just ordered the Viofo A229 dashcam and am looking to do a hardwire installation in order to use parking mode. I've never done this kind of installation before so I'm curious to know if this is something generally considered low-risk on a CX-5 or if it's better left to professionals and those with more experience. Main concerns right now are
  1. damaging a component connected to a tapped fuse
  2. deploying the A-pillar airbag while trying to route a cable under it
  3. scratching or breaking some part of the plastic trim while routing cables under
For others that have done a hardwire installation, how would you describe the difficulty of it and the likeliness of one of the above issues?

edit: from what I'm seeing online, accidental airbag deployment seems pretty unlikely if the engine has been off for a few minutes.

Last edited:
It's easy. You'll want to grab 2 fuse taps from the parts store. Pic related.
Then simply find a fuse that's hot all the time and one that's hot only when the ignition is on.

Personally, I'm not a fan of running a dash cam 24/7, so mine turns on only with that ignition. Like that, I only needed one fuse tap.

Attachments

• 1692421796149.png
    1692421796149.png
    227.8 KB · Views: 100
It's easy. You'll want to grab 2 fuse taps from the parts store. Pic related.
Then simply find a fuse that's hot all the time and one that's hot only when the ignition is on.

Personally, I'm not a fan of running a dash cam 24/7, so mine turns on only with that ignition. Like that, I only needed one fuse tap.
Thanks! Yeah I'm looking to get those and figuring out if I need the crimp tool or something else to connect to the hardwire kit I got amazon.com/VIOFO-Hardwire-Voltage-Protection-Parking/dp/B09MRVP2PX/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26T7BLLAPAQS0&keywords=viofo+hardwire+kit&qid=1692421958&s=automotive&sprefix=viofo+hardwire+%2Cautomotive%2C153&sr=1-4.

What's your concern with running the dash cam 24/7? With the low voltage cut-off removing the risk of draining the battery (assuming the component does its job), is the concern just the impact on the health of the battery of the extra draining and recharging?

BlackBoxMyCar has some good information on different installations https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/pages/dash-cam-installation-guide

For my MX5 dash cam I decided to hard wire the cam off a battery pack i installed in the trunk vs. running off the car battery.
Oh, what battery and camera do you have? I was seeing that the batteries only advertised less than 24 hours of recording time so I didn't look too closely at that possibility. Obviously dependent on the power draw of the cameras in parking mode though so I might need to check the math to see how long I'd actually be able to get out of a battery

I have a Thinkware Q800 Pro with a Cellink Neo battery pack. Besides the quality video the two key features of the Thinkware dash cams that I like was an on/off switch and they have an extended parking sleep mode that uses very little power. The on/off switch allows me to turn it off when it is parked in the garage (sleep mode not needed) whereas, most other models you have to unplug the unit from the power source. The battery pack allows for extended parking sleep mode coverage when we are travelling and the car is parked outside and not used on a daily basis.

Additional notes: with the Thinkware cam with the battery pack in sleep mode using time lapse recording I get coverage for about 48-50 hours and in and energy saving parking mode it’s 80+ hours.

Last edited:
I put the Viofo A139 dual-cam in my CX-5 a couple weeks ago. Also put the HK4 hardwire kit in. I bought the

haisstronica Crimping Tool (crimper and stripper with butt splices)

along with

MuHize 140 PCS Low Profile Mini Car Blade Fuses

and

Nilight - 50038R 10 Pack 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter.

I have parking recording on, and I monitor my battery voltage with a

CTEK (56-382) Comfort Connect Indicator Eyelet.

I have turned off wifi and GPS to keep the cams temp down, and reduce battery drain.

Routing the cables was easy, I just pried up the rubber molding, and tucked the wire underneath.

When you put the TAP adapter in, make sure to orient the wire 'tail' the correct way, so the current goes thru the fuses. Use a VOM to determine which leg of the female fuse slot is hot, and point the wire tail away from it, toward the unpowered leg. Pull the fuse and check that power doesn't flow.

I have a 2016, if you have also, let me know, I'll take a pic of which fuses I tapped in to.

I put the Viofo A139 dual-cam in my CX-5 a couple weeks ago. Also put the HK4 hardwire kit in. I bought the

haisstronica Crimping Tool (crimper and stripper with butt splices)

along with

MuHize 140 PCS Low Profile Mini Car Blade Fuses

and

Nilight - 50038R 10 Pack 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter.

I have parking recording on, and I monitor my battery voltage with a

CTEK (56-382) Comfort Connect Indicator Eyelet.

I have turned off wifi and GPS to keep the cams temp down, and reduce battery drain.

Routing the cables was easy, I just pried up the rubber molding, and tucked the wire underneath.

When you put the TAP adapter in, make sure to orient the wire 'tail' the correct way, so the current goes thru the fuses. Use a VOM to determine which leg of the female fuse slot is hot, and point the wire tail away from it, toward the unpowered leg. Pull the fuse and check that power doesn't flow.

I have a 2016, if you have also, let me know, I'll take a pic of which fuses I tapped in to.
Thanks! I still need the fuse taps and crimp so I'll look at the ones you linked.

Did you have any issues with the installation process? Anything more difficult than expected? So far I've heard it's a huge pain getting the cord through the tube that feeds the cords to the hatch door

Thanks! I still need the fuse taps and crimp so I'll look at the ones you linked.

Did you have any issues with the installation process? Anything more difficult than expected? So far I've heard it's a huge pain getting the cord through the tube that feeds the cords to the hatch door
Go to your local hardware store and grab some wire lube. It'll make fishing the wires through the rubber tubes way, way easier.
79-006_MAIN.jpg

I mounted the 'rear' camera at the front of the cabin, so I can see thru the side windows, and if anyone breaks into the car.

Back