Courts Giving RIAA a Hard Time

Description
The music industry has had a rough week as it faced setbacks on two fronts. Courts in Europe and the U.S. have thrown out attempts by the recording industry to impose restrictions on file sharing software and to track individual users by obtaining information from ISP's.

The Dutch Supreme Court on Friday rejected an attempt by the music copyright agency to put controls on Kazaa. Buma Stemra, the Dutch royalties collection society, demanded that Kazaa distribution cease and that future versions be modified so that copyrighted materials cannot be exchanged over the network.
The victory by Kazaa creates an important precedent for the legality of peer-to-peer software, both in the European Union as elsewhere, Kazaa's lawyers Bird & Bird said in a statement.
The agency pursuing the demand stated, Today's ruling on Kazaa by the Dutch Supreme Court is a flawed judgment, but still leaves no doubt that the vast majority of people who are using file-swapping services like Kazaa are acting illegally -- whatever country they are in. Although this loss is a setback for the recording industry, there is little doubt that they will seek other ways of pursuing Kazaa, the worrying fact about this decision however, is how, if at all, it may influence a similar case which the recording industry is pursuing in the U.S. against Sharman Networks, Kazaa's new, Australian owners.

The case in the U.S. was more of a surprise since it saw the Appeals Court overturn a ruling which allowed the Recording Industry to obtain user information from ISP's prior to filing a lawsuit. The court went as far as to claim that the industry's legal basis for inundating Internet providers with thousands of subpoenas borders upon the silly. This ruling was another chapter in the saga of the case of Verizon Vs RIAA.

Verizon can not remove or disable one user's access to infringing material resident on another user's computer because Verizon does not control the content on its subscribers' computers, Chief Judge Douglas Ginsburg wrote.

The Recording Industry Association of America began filing lawsuits against individual users this fall, and so far has reached more than 220 out-of-court settlements, usually for USD 5,000 or less.
Many experts suggest that although the, so called, John Doe lawsuits are an expensive and difficult procedure, the RIAA will have to research evidence much more thoroughly, helping it avoid public relations fiascos such as the pursuit of a 12 year old girl for possession of copyrighted nursery rhymes.

Overall a bad week for the RIAA but if we know one thing about them is that they love the courts and especially their lawyers, so expect to hear from them soon.

http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/courtsgivingriaaahardtime.shtml

It's not about the music. It's about the business and lost billions. And not of the artists but of everyone in between.

Lots of software companies are closing down cause you can just download their software for free....no money for their employees....

alexlitov said:
Lots of software companies are closing down cause you can just download their software for free....no money for their employees....

thats true, you can get pretty much anything off kazaa these days...any games...etc..

I was thinking more like Photoshop and stuff...just think how much business Adobe has lost cause of all the people who are downloading their stuff and paying $0 for using it....

Adobe is doing fine. If you're in the design industry and making decent money off an Adobe program, they'll catch you. Companies such as Kinkos, schools and design studios like Pentagram are buying the software. Maybe a smaller studio will steal the software, but when you're making $700 bucks off a design, the software is affordable.

but if everyone who is using their software paid at least $5 for using it, they would be in better shape then charging $700 from 1 in a 1000 users....

alexlitov said:
I was thinking more like Photoshop and stuff...just think how much business Adobe has lost cause of all the people who are downloading their stuff and paying $0 for using it....

these people woudlnt have paid the $5,000 or however much it is in the first place.

I dunno, I've found several artists on Napster back in the day that I would have never heard of if I hadn't been downloading. I think they actually made money off me because I went and bought the CDs.

Britt

alexlitov said:

That's a somewhat narrow minded view.. I don't condone piracy, but understand, most people who pirate Photshop, wouldn't buy it in the first place. 700 dollars for a graphics editing software? I can buy a DELL PE 600SC low-end server for that price. I can buy a WHOLE NEW COMPUTER, install GIMP, and still be better off.

Furthermore, you may choose to not believe this, but if photocrap wasn't pirated so damn much, it wouldn't be so popular, and free alternatives like GIMP would be far more supported and hence more user friendly. At that point, maybe even big clients would consider saving 700 bucks and go with GIMP.

I think there's no such thing as bad publicity. If I were a software vendor, and alot of people WANTED to pirate my software, it would mean there's a high demand, that my product was good, and therefore, my sales (from business and/or really honest people) would be good. Also, if my prices were pretty damn high, and distribution sucked (ie, no downloads) it's a good guess that many people who MIGHT have bought it probably won't (out of their budget, not driving to the store, etc..). Large companies are too afraid to diversify and that's why they will inevitably die. Every software vendor will have to, one good day, provide all their software online (downloadeable) for alot less ($$) than they are selling in stores now, or they will findthemselves in deep trouble.

Also--I can personally say the same as 212 Vega. I've bought MANY CDs of underground or small label stuff that I wouldn't have bought were it not for my "illegal downloads"!!! Oh s***! I admitted to it! Maybe now the RIAA leprechauns will come and sodomize me in my sleep!!

RIAA is an organization full of bunch of losers... that's all I have to say.

MP3s provide me a way to pre-listen to what the music is like before I spend the money. Obviously those motherfucking record company doesn't know what's like buying a CD for a song or two is like, money doesn't just fall off the sky. In addition, if the music is really that good, I'll definetly support the singer and the record company. For example, my first Linkin Park CD I d/led was Hybrid Theory, but because their music is so damn good I had to support them. Ever since then, I've bought ALL of their CDs w/o a doubt, and they all came out great. I've also own some other people like Jagged Edge etc..

RIAA can do all they want in attempting to stop MP3s around. But, IMO I don't think they won't win in the end and I'm sure this will be a long fight between User-Government-RIAA. I can see this as an another case of Johnathan Lebed.

enry said:
It's not about the music. It's about the business and lost billions. And not of the artists but of everyone in between.

yup and its become time to downsize. Instead 5 major corporations telling us what we should listen to, we erase the middleman.

The relationship should be between the artist and the fan and the technology is there to do it.

Back