Corroded Wire Harness

JokerFMJ

I took my '07 Speed6 GT in for some flushes and to have them check out an issue I was having with my HomeLink Mirror and Moon Roof operation being intermittent.

They said they couldn't troubleshoot the power problem in the moon roof because there was corrosion going from the positive battery terminal and down into the wire harness, so they suggested I replace the wire harness ($1K estimate). I told them not to worry about it at the moment and got my car when they were finished with the other stuff.

Am I wrong in the thinking that I could just cut off the corroded piece of the power cable and splice a new piece in there? Or is it possible that the corrosion is all the way into the main piece of the wire harness?

I don't know, I guess I'm just skeptical when it comes to what the dealer tells me, especially since the problem with my home link mirror was a loose ground wire after they replaced it a few months back.

Last edited:
Take it to a different shop and get another estimate. It will most likely be cheaper than dealer's price.

If you need to extend the Main power wire, it would be possible to cut the wire to where it is no longer corroded and torch this part with a new piece of wire, then double wall heat shrink it.

22141135_dor_85630_pri_larg.jpg

Back