CorkSport 2016+ CX-9 Lowering Springs

n3rdgen@CS

CorkSport Rep
Authorized Vendor
Mazda-cx-9-lowered-with-passengers_-_CD.jpg

The CS lowering springs will drop your CX-9 approximately 1.45in (37mm) front & 1.30in (33mm) rear, giving it a much more aggressive stance. Not only do the CS springs lower your CX-9, they also increase the spring rate over factory springs to provide a 20% increase in the front and a 35% increase in the rear. This helps improve the handling characteristics of your CX-9 on twisty roads while not being too stiff for those long highway trips.

If someone were to change out the old OEM struts/shocks while installing the CS springs, what would be the recommended replacements? Just OEM Mazda? Or KYB, Bilstein, or other aftermarket replacement?

If someone were to change out the old OEM struts/shocks while installing the CS springs, what would be the recommended replacements? Just OEM Mazda? Or KYB, Bilstein, or other aftermarket replacement?

@n3rdgen@CS any idea?

OEM will not work with the springs as well, due to the ride height being out of the designated range. To my knowledge, most people with the smaller platforms go with Koni, but I am not sure if they are the preferred choice for the crossover market.

OEM will not work with the springs as well, due to the ride height being out of the designated range. To my knowledge, most people with the smaller platforms go with Koni, but I am not sure if they are the preferred choice for the crossover market.

Aren't those OEM shocks/struts installed with the CS springs on the blue CX-9 above? If the springs are not meant to be used with OEM shocks/struts, there should probably be a disclaimer on the product page.

So I took another look at the product page, and in the Style & Ride Quality section, it says the following:

The increased spring rate in the front and rear is not overly aggressive so it works with the factory dampening while giving you a more planted feel on the road.

I guess I answered my own question lol. Factory it is (for now).

It can be paired with OEM, but the best handling will be experienced with an aftermarket product.

Hi all, I am getting these installed on my CX9 tomorrow and would appreciate some guidance since I'm not mechanically inclined.

@CorkSport install guide says that the bump stops and rear shock dust covers should be trimmed. However my mechanic (Jimmy @ Street Performance, Markham, Canada) does not want to do this. I'm not sure exactly why, but I think his point was that if I ever want to return to stock springs they wouldn't work well with the trimmed bump stops.

What is the right move here? Should I stick to Corksport guidance and push the mechanic to do it, or should I stick with the mechanic's advice? @n3rdgen@CS?

Yep, you'd just need to get new ones. Not sure how much they would cost though.
A quick look shows they are a $10-20 part. Looks like I'm much less worried about modifying them now, if I could pop new ones in if I needed to return to stock in the future.

Back