Considering buying 2014/5/6 CX-5 <65K miles: Any major repairs coming up?

Hi - first post here:

Researching a car purchase and have just decided on the AWD CX-5 over the RAV4, Forester, Outback, CRV.

In my area (Lake Tahoe, CA) and price range (<$16K), I can get an AWD 2014/5/6 CX-5 with < 65K miles. Just wondering what major repairs tend to be required at about that mileage which I should check to see if theyve been done, or budget for them if not?

Also, would you rate one of these model years above the others?

Also also, if Im willing to bump my mileage ceiling to 100K, I can save about $2K - any reason to be afraid/not afraid of a CX-5 with that kind of wear?

Thanks!

I bought a 2014 2.5L AWD brand new and have 76k miles on it.

Only non-routine maintenance I had to do was replace the horn (~20 bucks, DIY) that was corroded from winter salt splashing/corrosion.

There were a couple recalls that were done for free (Gas filler neck, rear hatch door extension pistons).

Replaced battery at 55k, tires at 37k, brakes DIY at 50k, spark plugs at 60k, rear diff and transfer case fluid change every 30k, oil every 5k, atf fluid at 60k, engine and cabin filters every year.

Knock on wood, but I think reliability is about as good as they come. I've had good luck with Mazdas (this is my second one, had a Mazda3 before this) and find them very reliable and well made.

Last edited:
Great - thx, kjh1127!

Any other responses, or anyone want to weigh in on whether a 2014, 2015 or 2016 makes the most sense? (cabpatch)

Hi - first post here:

Researching a car purchase and have just decided on the AWD CX-5 over the RAV4, Forester, Outback, CRV.

In my area (Lake Tahoe, CA) and price range (<$16K), I can get an AWD 2014/5/6 CX-5 with < 65K miles. Just wondering what major repairs tend to be required at about that mileage which I should check to see if they*ve been done, or budget for them if not?

Also also, if I*m willing to bump my mileage ceiling to 100K, I can save about $2K - any reason to be afraid/not afraid of a CX-5 with that kind of wear?

Thanks!

I had a 2015. The only thing that happened from 60 to 100K miles was brakes at 95ish, spark plugs at 85ish. You may also consider a new valve-cover gasket and belts/tensioner.

2016 makes the most sense, 2016.5 makes the very best sense.

I would go with the 16, it should have all the safety features you need (rear camera, blindspot monitor, cross traffic monitor, etc).

I would not bump the mileage if I didn't have to, less worry.

As far a major repairs - NONE.

Just brakes if you consider that major...something I can do my self.

Major issues to tranny/engine shouldn't come until the 150k-200k mark where you're dealing with the waterpump.

Hi - first post here:

In my area (Lake Tahoe, CA) and price range (<$16K), I can get an AWD 2014/5/6 CX-5 with < 65K miles. Just wondering what major repairs tend to be required at about that mileage which I should check to see if they*ve been done, or budget for them if not?

Also also, if I*m willing to bump my mileage ceiling to 100K, I can save about $2K - any reason to be afraid/not afraid of a CX-5 with that kind of wear?

Thanks!

I have a 2014 I bought new and am approaching 82k miles on.

2014 was the second model year for the CX-5 in the states so it has a bit older design that means you need to take some considerations:

• Gated shifter: I prefer this style, but the original factory switch wears out which can lead to problems where it doesn't fully read it in Park when trying to turn the car off. They have an improved switch ($50), so that resolves that if you ever encounter that issue.
  • Infotainment: Its the older Infotainment system so you'll have normal AM/FM, CD, USB, Bluetooth, Pandora. Nav if you get that trim/option.
  • Interior design: I believe the 2016 started using a lot of chrome trim around the vents, etc. vs. the black plastic used in the 2014.

Some other considerations:

I believe both the 2014 and 2015 still had actual handbrakes. The 2016 went with an electronic parking brake to make room for the Commander Knob to control the infotainment. As a result, they took out the buttons on the radio, so its a slightly bigger screen and all the controls are done through the Commander Knob. The 2016 also uses the Mazda Connect infotainment system, so I believe you might be able to hack Android Auto on it depending on its firmware version?

Universal to all those model years is that sometimes the drive belt tensioner springs a leak and needs to be replaced.

The EPB on the 2016 I believe means extra care needs to be taken to replace the rear brakes (when needed). I think they also had a TSB for some issue with it, though I don't recall what that issue was.

In total, I have only ever had the shifter switch and the tensioner that needed replacing on my 2014. All else has been normal maintenance with oil changes, brake pads/turning rotors, tires, ATF drain/fills, rear differential and transfer case oil changes (AWD), and spark plugs.

Last edited:
16 has the newer radio system and nav setup. You define want that.

I have a 2014 I bought new and am approaching 82k miles on.

2014 was the second model year for the CX-5 in the states so it has a bit older design that means you need to take some considerations:

• Gated shifter: I prefer this style, but the original factory switch wears out which can lead to problems where it doesn't fully read it in Park when trying to turn the car off. They have an improved switch ($50), so that resolves that if you ever encounter that issue.
  • Infotainment: Its the older Infotainment system so you'll have normal AM/FM, CD, USB, Bluetooth, Pandora. Nav if you get that trim/option.
  • Interior design: I believe the 2016 started using a lot of chrome trim around the vents, etc. vs. the black plastic used in the 2014.

Some other considerations:

I believe both the 2014 and 2015 still had actual handbrakes. The 2016 went with an electronic parking brake to make room for the Commander Knob to control the infotainment. As a result, they took out the buttons on the radio, so its a slightly bigger screen and all the controls are done through the Commander Knob. The 2016 also uses the Mazda Connect infotainment system, so I believe you might be able to hack Android Auto on it depending on its firmware version?

Universal to all those model years is that sometimes the drive belt tensioner springs a leak and needs to be replaced.

The EPB on the 2016 I believe means extra care needs to be taken to replace the rear brakes (when needed). I think they also had a TSB for some issue with it, though I don't recall what that issue was.

In total, I have only ever had the shifter switch and the tensioner that needed replacing on my 2014. All else has been normal maintenance with oil changes, brake pads/turning rotors, tires, ATF drain/fills, rear differential and transfer case oil changes (AWD), and spark plugs.

FWIW, OP, I made it to 106K miles with zero drain/fills or ATF servicing, as Mazda says it's life-time fill. My transmission shifted just fine, narry an issue. You will find this topic is hotly contested on this and other forums, but there have been ZERO CX5 transmission failures due to dirty/burned/old fluid that anyone knows of. Most of the failures were due to factory defective parts that no amount of clean fluid would have helped.

Only issue with the 16 would be the EPB calipers, do a search on here. There was a problem with the parking brake not fully being released causing obvious problems resulting in a newer version of rear brake caliper. Check for engine oil leaks (timing chain cover) I had both the 2014 and now my 16. Seats are more comfortable on the 16. I like the 16 better.

Last edited:
When I traded in my 2016 with 58,000 miles last September it needed new brakes and the rear passenger side wheel bearing needed replaced. I knew it was shot around 50,000 because it started rubbing and vibrating. Cost to get that replaced was around $600. I was faced with $600 for the bearing, $800 for new tires, and $400 for new brakes. Part of the reason I decided to trade it in instead of eating the roughly $2,000 bill.

FWIW, OP, I made it to 106K miles with zero drain/fills or ATF servicing, as Mazda says it's life-time fill. My transmission shifted just fine, narry an issue. You will find this topic is hotly contested on this and other forums, but there have been ZERO CX5 transmission failures due to dirty/burned/old fluid that anyone knows of. Most of the failures were due to factory defective parts that no amount of clean fluid would have helped.
Local dealer to me has claimed Mazda has pushed back on transmission warranty claims due to "dirty fluid". I don't know if I believe them, but something to think about.

Local dealer to me has claimed Mazda has pushed back on transmission warranty claims due to "dirty fluid". I don't know if I believe them, but something to think about.

How can they do that? There's no service interval! It seems especially ridiculous since warranties only go out to 60k miles or five years.

Last edited:
How can they do that? There's no service interval! It seems especially ridiculous since warranties only go out to 60k miles or five years.
Agreed. Just relaying what I was told. Again, take with a grain of salt, but I could totally see the catch 22 there.

Hi - first post here:

Thanks!
Buying a used car is a risky business IMO because it has too many variables. Each used car is different, and have had different maintenance performed. Some may involve accident which sometimes is hard to verify.

Generally speaking, 2015 CX-5 is a better bet to have less problems overall. Face-lifted 2016 CX-5 has some better features, but also suffered some issues, such as Electrical Parking Brake dragging which requires revised rear brake calipers. And if it has optional Technology Package, the LED Signature accent strip DRLs will fail eventually which is expensive to replace, unless they have been replaced with the latest "J" version.

As long as you can afford it, try to get a used car with lesser miles in general. Again, there're too many variables and it doesn't mean you can't find a good used car with over 100K miles. But the odds are against you finding a one unless you know car very well and you have plenty of time looking.

Last edited:
2014 here with a little over 60k. OEM tires were replaced around 36k. Only non-routine item was the gas cap of all things failed inspection one year, was still under warranty so just popped a new free one on. Brake pads are still at 60% life. On my third battery - the second failed prematurely and Mazda replaced it under its own warranty.

The infotainment on pre-2016 models looks pretty ancient at this point. Probably because it is...

Back