Cold Weather Issue

EvilSandon

:
Probe GT & Mazda 3 Hatchback
The last week or so, the temperatures have dipped into 30's or colder. Since then, I have noticed a new issue with my Mazda (2004, Mazda 3 Hatchback, Automatic Trans). When I first start driving it, everything seems fine. However, soon after I start driving I notice this terrible vibration coming from either the front axles(though the steering wheel does not transmit the same vibration) , or the powertrain.

The vibration skakes the entire car. It seems the most noticable at 40mph. After the car warms up, the vibration goes away and everything is smooth and normal. Sometimes it will return when I do a lot of stop and go but will go away with continuous travel. When the vibration occurs, it's strongest under acceleration or turning left. However, when coasting it is very mute or not occurring at all. Seems like the vibration is coming from the driver's side.

I did jack up the car (Driver's Front) and there was no play in the wheel.

I'm wondering if this is a motor mount issue. If it is, which mount should I look for or how do I test the mounts to find out which one it could be?

Could it be something else that I may be missing?

Thanks.

I think you may be on the right track with the mounts. Since the vibration does not transfer to the steering wheel. I really have no clue as to how to check a motor mount though, our engines rock so much in there who could tell.

Why would a bad motor mount shake go away after the car warms up?
I think you may have a tire issue. Have you checked the tire pressure recently?
Tire pressure will be lower in cold weather. Most low profile tires will flat spot
when sitting over night. After a few miles they warm up and the noise and shake goes
away.

Proper pressure may help but the tires will still get a flat spot where they
contact the surface. I do not notice any steering wheel vibration in my cars but
you can feel vibration through the seat and hear the rump-rump until the tires
stabilize in a mile or two.

Clifton

Flash, I think you are right. There is no way a mount gets "better". A tire however will as it heats up.

Thanks for the input! I'm still getting acquainted with the 3 and it's quirks so I feel like a complete newbie.

I was thinking that flat spotting was a possibility as well, so that is probably more probable than the mounts. I've just never experienced flat spotting before(even though I have driven a car with low profile tires in these temperatures), but my driving habits are different as well (lot's of highway driving). I'll just keep an eye on things, especially that tire pressure. :)

Last edited:
Turns out that it is not flat spotting. I double checked the tire pressure and took it for a drive. Same thing issue.

I brought it home and put it up on jack stands. Decided to run the car in gear with the tires off of the ground and the hood up. The vibration was still present and the engine was moving with a side to side motion with the vibration. I guess I am back to square one.

Go back to motor mount problems. Unless you waited several hours
to check for vibration with the wheels of the ground your problem probably
isn't totally clearing up with car warm up. My answer about the tires was based
on you saying the car was ok after warm up.

This link my help on checking for a motor mount problem.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/motor_mounts.htm

Clifton

After further examination, I checked the motor mounts. They looked to be ok, however I noticed that the passenger axle had been replaced. I also noticed the passenger axle was backing out of the intermediate shaft (almost off at this point). I tried hammering it back in, got it most of the way and it's smooth as silk. I am gonna replace the axle though, the boot on the axle is coming apart and if I have to take everything apart to get the axle in then I should at least replace the boot.

Good to hear you found the problem. Too bad it isn't an easy fix.

Clifton

Update,

I did finally get everything back together and start driving it last week.

Basically, I decided to replace the entire axle since boots are not the easiest thing to find. When I removed the axle I had found that the snap ring on the intermediate shaft had not been reinstalled after the passenger side axle had been replaced, hence the reason for it's "problem". I was able to track down this $2.30 part at a local dealer.

I also went around and ordered a new axle. The axle came in, I picked it up and took it home to install. Upon installation into the passenger side hub, I discover that the axle will not fit. I brought the axle back to the store and it turns out that the hub side of the axle was out of round. I was refunded my money and my core and went elsewhere to order another axle. A day later, it comes in and I pick it up. Once home I install it and it fits fine. Then I start to reassemble everything. I get the car on the ground to torque the hub bolt. The bolt never tightens up and SNAP! Luckily my bolt extractor set was useful in removing the bolt. After hunting down another bolt (dealer only), the car was back together and has been working beautifully since. :)

Back