Cold Engine Exhaust Noise

:
'16 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech
I've owned my 2015 CX-5 G/T for about 2 weeks now. When I first start it up, the engine sounds as if there's an exhaust leak. Once it has warmed up, it sounds normal. Is this just a characteristic of the engine or could there be a problem? Thanks in advance.

It's normal... The engine is a lot louder at a cold start up. It even says so in the owner's manual...

Or even in the SmarT Start Guide:

ACCELERATED WARM-UP SYSTEM (AWS)
Vehicle Starting:
Your vehicle is equipped with SKYACTIV combustion technology. This
technology includes AWS (Accelerated Warm-up System) for optimal
emission performance during cold starting conditions.
Cold Start (e.g., First start of the day on cold mornings):
Depress the brake (Automatic Trans.) or clutch (Manual Trans.), when the
key indicator light turns green push the START/STOP button.
What you will notice: On start-up, the engine speed and sound are
higher (1500 RPM) for 30 seconds to 1 minute to quickly bring the catalyst
to efficient operating temperature. The RPM will reduce to idle once the
temperature is achieved. This is normal engine operation under cold
start conditions.

Time to read the manual!

Funny, I read the manual and didn't see anything that said my engine would sound like it has an exhaust leak. Thanks for the input though.

Funny, I read the manual and didn't see anything that said my engine would sound like it has an exhaust leak. Thanks for the input though.

Exhaust leaks often creates a tick tick kind of sound. When you say "sound like an exhaust leak", what do you mean?

In some ways it sounds like a huge exhaust leak at a lesser volume. Yes, that is normal.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sounds like a car with a small exhaust leak (like a bad gasket at one of the flanges). Normal on this car during cold startup. I actually like it for some reason :D

Back