Code PO402 EGR ?

Dino1956

Have a slight Radiator leak and a week ago my CEL came on. I thought it could be Cooling System related. Went to Auto Zone and the only code that came up is PO402. Could someone explain? I know it's something with the EGR Valve Flow. But I don't know a damn thing about fixing cars. Could my leaky Radiator throw THAT code ? Again, it's a slight leak. I'm thinking one has nothing to do with the other. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Its not the radiator. Did you try cleaning the EGR valve? could be stuck open or something disconnected, thats what that code is for. Try getting some intake cleaner and getting the carbon buildup out of there and see if it goes away.

i just used intake cleaner from advance and sprayed it into the egr, waited a few min then turned the car on...it hesitated to turn over but only for a second, and now it runs 10x better. didnt have to take anything apart. i was getting an P0171 code, and one of the culprits can be the EGR, and its been 300miles and it hasnt come back on yet.

patsfan4life said:
Its not the radiator. Did you try cleaning the EGR valve? could be stuck open or something disconnected, thats what that code is for. Try getting some intake cleaner and getting the carbon buildup out of there and see if it goes away.
I'm ashamed to admit that looking under the hood of my car, it may as be a Jet Engine. I know where nothing is and I'm not mechanical at all. I would love to attempt cleaning it but I would hate to screw it up. THere are pictures on this site with instructions but I can even seen to locate the EGR Valve. Where is it ? Do I have to takes something off to see it ? Sorry but I just don't know about fixing cars. :) Thanks for not laughing too hard.

patsfan4life said:
i just used intake cleaner from advance and sprayed it into the egr, waited a few min then turned the car on...it hesitated to turn over but only for a second, and now it runs 10x better. didnt have to take anything apart. i was getting an P0171 code, and one of the culprits can be the EGR, and its been 300miles and it hasnt come back on yet.
Hey how do I do that? That sounds easy enough. Maybe if you could explain WHERE it is ? I'm notkidding. I can't locate it. :) Again, sorry for the ignorance.

all you need to do is take off the intake from the throttle body, and right before the butterfly valve (throttle) there is an opening that leading into the EGR valve, when you get the intake cleaner from the car store it comes with a red straw for precise accuracy. just stick it into that opening give it a couple sprays, wait a few min, do it again, and ur set. i'll provide some pics tomorrow of the process if you'd like. its a 5min deal. im amazed how well it worked without taking anything apart.

patsfan4life,

You are the best. I think I located the EGR but I'm still not 100% sure. I have the Protege 2000 DX so my location looks totally different from pics I've seen on here. Mine is a black cap with 4 Phillips Head Screws. My Location is right underneath Drivers Side closest to Steering Wheel.

So your saying all I have to do is remove the screws and take the top off and spray with cleaner ? The pictures & description I've seen in the "How To Clean EGR" thread on here, are taking a whole other piece out. If you could provide pics, that would be great. btw, my email is orlando22@bellsouth.net

I appreciate your time & help.

Dino1956

patsfan4life said:
all you need to do is take off the intake from the throttle body, and right before the butterfly valve (throttle) there is an opening that leading into the EGR valve, when you get the intake cleaner from the car store it comes with a red straw for precise accuracy. just stick it into that opening give it a couple sprays, wait a few min, do it again, and ur set. i'll provide some pics tomorrow of the process if you'd like. its a 5min deal. im amazed how well it worked without taking anything apart.
Engine Light Came back on today after hitting the 60 MPH speed. EGR must be stuck open but I don't know where or how to look for where the problem is without having to take apart the entire EGR valve assembly.

patsfan4life said:
here's a pic of what I think it is.

Attachments

• egr.JPG
    egr.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 853
Back