clear coating carbon fiber?

tsunami

Contributor
:
mazda3 5 door
Hey guys

looking for a little insight. i have a new VIS carbon fiber hood that i haven't even had for a year yet and i don't want it to fade nor peel or whatever else happens to carbon fiber after too much sunlight. i have to go into the shop for some minor body work and was thinking of having them buff and then clear coat the hood does anyone think this is a bad thing to do or should i do something else? i have a black mica hatch so i like the look of the c/f and would rather not paint it.

thanks guys the quicker the response the better as i am taking it in for the quote later today. (the thought pretty much just occured to me)

i have a vis also, it started to fade but now i put some tirewet on it and it clears up. i would have them sand it down and throw clear on it just to keep it safe from fading.

Hey guys

looking for a little insight. i have a new VIS carbon fiber hood that i haven't even had for a year yet and i don't want it to fade nor peel or whatever else happens to carbon fiber after too much sunlight. i have to go into the shop for some minor body work and was thinking of having them buff and then clear coat the hood does anyone think this is a bad thing to do or should i do something else? i have a black mica hatch so i like the look of the c/f and would rather not paint it.

thanks guys the quicker the response the better as i am taking it in for the quote later today. (the thought pretty much just occured to me)

It really can't hurt anything.... I'd go for it.

has anyone out there done it before?

is a couple of layers of clear and upkeep in the waxing dept going to let me c/f hood last?

hey thanks for the infor topher thats exactly what i was looking for.

on a side note why don't they come that way?

hey thanks for the infor topher thats exactly what i was looking for.

on a side note why don't they come that way?
they do, its just not as good a quality clear coat, not as UV stable... be sure you express to the shop that UV stability is your main concearn. Chances are they have a few clear coats they use, a more UV stable one will likely be more expensive.

yeah i went to one body shop already for a quote and they didnt' seem to have a clue going to another one (one i have exp with they are just expensive and kind of a pain to deal with, though they give me beer while i wait so thats a plus!!)

Back