Cleaning car windows / glass

ghetto waggon

:
2003 Protege5, Yellow.
I've tried and tried and can't get my window cleaning to work. I've used windex among other household glass cleaners, and even newspaper and vinegar water, which has always worked perfectly in other applications.

My problem is the smudges that show up later, as the temp in the car changes. I/e: I clean the windows when its fairly warm outside, then at night when its cool, the windshield is filled with smudges.

I spend forever cleaning the car and a perfectly shining car with bad looking glass is just not cool.

I've seen other "invisible glass" cleaners at auto places, but've never tried them.

Any ideas on what to buy/do?

P.S-Just water doesnt work

I use a product called invisible glass with newspaper. It leaves very little smudges sometimes. It depends on how dirty your window is and how well you clean it and get the product off your window.

I use some foaming glass and mirror cleaner. Its industrial stuff and comes in one of those compressed cans. Just use that with a clean no-lint cloth.. works great on chrome too.

I used some weird disposable "Wypall" brand or something cloth that Pirana gave me.. no lint at all, I need to go find some more of that stuff.

Last edited:
I've tried Windex, Rain-X foaming glass cleaner and Stoner's Invisible Glass among others.

Stoner's is easily the BEST glass cleaner I've ever used.

I'm also very happy with the stoner brand of products.... got the stuff for the windows and tires and they always look great. Just make sure if you have tinted windows DO NOT use windex, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that the ammonia isn't good for the tint film.

RobMP5 said:
I'm also very happy with the stoner brand of products.... got the stuff for the windows and tires and they always look great. Just make sure if you have tinted windows DO NOT use windex, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have heard that the ammonia isn't good for the tint film.
That is right ammonia is a no no with the tint

So you all think the residue left from cleaning is a lack of "cleaning" on my part? Or dealing with the chemicals in the solutions I am using?

I think I clean them pretty well, but I do clean them when its warm out, with me sweating over the dash, so my patience is sometimes short. The residue that I see isn't say a clump of snot that I missed all over the window, just a faint, opaque trail of every movement I made with the towel/newspaper.

I'll go pick up some Stoner's today.

Thanks

use windex and 0000 steel wool, after that clean again with windex and newspaper. Do not use on window tint! I use this every time i wash my cars. This will take off water marks and winshield wiper marks. Do not use on the mirrors, they are plastic. If you still do not believe me try it on the windows on your house. It is the best way to clean glass. You do not need to scrub very hard with the steel wool. It is amazing the diff it makes. On the steel wool package it will also state it is recommended for windows. They will clean the best if the windows are cool and not in direct sunlight.

Never heard of using steel woll....interesting

Also, I've never had trouble cleaning glass inside the house with windex, just in the car

If you're sweating while cleaning the glass, it's too hot out to clean them.
Never clean glass in direct sunlight or high heat as they will streak, my mom taught me that one. Too cold doesn't work either.
You can also by a chamois for glass, it has little holes in it that works well.

you all use this on the interior as well right?

This is where the majority of my problems lie. In just washing the car, as long as I get the windows dried in time (no water spots), the outside looks pretty good.

I go 250 miles a day as a bank messenger. Best I've found for gettin off the juicyest bugs is Windex Power Foam, in aerosol can form. Much better than Stoner Invisible Glass. BTW I can only find this Windex Power Foam at certain auto parts stores, grocery stores don't seem to carry it.

Stoner Invisible Glass or even better ... Diamondite Glass Treatment with Stone I/G followups ;)

You can do it the easy way too .. wash the glass, clay bar it, wash again, use I/G, then do RainX ... with I/G Touchups.

Pe@ce

the problem is you need to use purified water with all the minerals removed. This is done by running water through a RO/DI filter. once this water dries there are no minerals left so there will be no marks

I've a funny feeling that after 20 years ( :O ) since the last post, advice on cleaning windows may be a bit too late :p

This HAS to be a record! Reviving and nearly 20-year-old thread.

Mazdalova, how in the world did you even dig this baby up? And why?

I've a funny feeling that after 20 years ( :O ) since the last post, advice on cleaning windows may be a bit too late :p

I wonder if distilled water would also work???

This HAS to be a record! Reviving and nearly 20-year-old thread.

Mazdalova, how in the world did you even dig this baby up? And why?

Unfortunately it turned out to be one of these “stealth spammers”. They’re good at appearing legit and even on topic but if suspicious, revisit the post after a few days or weeks and if you see it has been edited and some sort of spammy link added in (sometimes randomly placed too) then it’s most likely a spammer…In that case, please report it!

Ps…Be sure to expand the quote if there is one, sometimes the spam link has been inserted there…

Latest posts

Back