chrome accents: dash, cupholder, mirror, tail lights

:
2016 CX-5
I know some people don't like chrome and some people go way overboard with the chrome but if done tastefully, IMHO it looks nice, again it's all personal preference. here's some ideas for those interested:

OEM match silver matte dash accent:
attachment.php

cupholder accent to cover the cheap OEM black plastic, not chrome, more like silver matte matched to OEM accent:
attachment.php

chrome mirror accent like new Lexus RX:
attachment.php

real stainless steel (not cheap plastic chrome ABS) tail light accents:
attachment.php

debadged black with Olympic USA plates (cost is extra $20 a year but all money goes to support our athletes)
attachment.php

and also the NY license plate is an ugly orange yellow (ughhhh-ly!!)
ny2011.jpg

Attachments

• chrome dash.jpg
    chrome dash.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,000
  • chrome cupholder.jpg
    chrome cupholder.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,030
  • chrome mirror.jpg
    chrome mirror.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 989
  • chrome tail.jpg
    chrome tail.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 962
  • debadged.jpg
    debadged.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 980
Last edited:
The external chrome looks rice. There is a sky blue cx5 nesr me that has like all of the chrome abs parts on the outside of his and it looks ridiculous. I think it's an old person though

Actually, I think the OP has done an admirably restrained job of adding just a touch of bling here and there. As he said, it'd all personal preference. I'd love to change out the piano black bar on the dash of my 2013 if I could find something that matched the other satin-chrome trim in the interior. The "sea of black" thing just doesn't get it for me. I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't jumped on that.

Actually, I think the OP has done an admirably restrained job of adding just a touch of bling here and there. As he said, it'd all personal preference. I'd love to change out the piano black bar on the dash of my 2013 if I could find something that matched the other satin-chrome trim in the interior. The "sea of black" thing just doesn't get it for me. I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't jumped on that.

Agreed! doesn't look rice at all, pretty restrained, not much different than luxury cars with chrome accents here and there, I've seen a lot worse like chrome wheel fenders chrome rain wipers, chrome window outline,

My bad for not being more specific. I wasn't saying the OP looked rice; in general I think adding a bunch of chrome to the outside ( like my example) does look rice.

Agreed! doesn't look rice at all, pretty restrained, not much different than luxury cars with chrome accents here and there, I've seen a lot worse like chrome wheel fenders chrome rain wipers, chrome window outline,

Tbh I see a lot of Buicks that come with chrome accents and such, but buick also in known for putting real fake air vents on their cars :p

Looks good! May I know where did you buy those accessories? Specifically the one used on the dash, cup holders and the side mirrors. Thanks!

I think the 2016.5 satin silver dash fits right in, I think they are interchangeable.

the piano black bar pops out easily then you can pop in an updated 2016.5 satin silver dash, the clip locations and air vents are the same :

this is video of 2016 dash, ignore maintenance in video, this is just for illustration to show you they are interchangeable

real question is how much a new panel costs and if it's worth it... sorry I don;t have the part number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPEsae_Q9w4

Last edited:
I think the 2016.5 satin silver dash fits right in, I think they are interchangeable. Let me do some research and confirm.

Actually, I looked at that and don't care for the design. Want something more simple; like the original, only silver. Plus, the Mazda piece costs over $200! I may consider going with some kind of "machined-look" vinyl wrap (or silver carbon-fiber look). That's actually the way my wife's Z-4 interior is done (combination of satin-chrome and chrome fiber) and it doesn't look half bad.

while you're all at this, you might as well swap the engine start button with the mazda6 one... fits and works... is an official JDM accessory

I know some people don't like chrome and some people go way overboard with the chrome but if done tastefully, IMHO it looks nice, again it's all personal preference. here's some ideas for those interested:

OEM match silver matte dash accent:
attachment.php

cupholder accent to cover the cheap OEM black plastic, not chrome, more like silver matte matched to OEM accent:
attachment.php

chrome mirror accent like new Lexus RX:
attachment.php

real stainless steel (not cheap plastic chrome ABS) tail light accents:
attachment.php

debadged black with Olympic USA plates (cost is extra $20 a year but all money goes to support our athletes)
attachment.php

and also the NY license plate is an ugly orange yellow (ughhhh-ly!!)
ny2011.jpg

Out of curiosity, how are these items holding up almost a year later? I've been looking at adding some similar accents to my car, but have never used anything with double sided automotive tape. How durable is it? Thank you! :)

Out of curiosity, how are these items holding up almost a year later? I've been looking at adding some similar accents to my car, but have never used anything with double sided automotive tape. How durable is it? Thank you! :)

Actually, all very durable. No issues. I'll take some pictures for you this weekend. I recommend using 3M adhesion promoter though for the side mirrors. The OEM plastic on the bottomside of the side view mirrors is quite slick and non-conducive to double sided tape without the promoter. I used the promoter when I stuck it on a year ago and had no issues even after washing car every 2 weeks on a consecutive basis.

Last edited:
Actually, all very durable. No issues. I'll take some pictures for you this weekend. I recommend using 3M adhesion promoter though for the side mirrors. The OEM plastic on the bottomside of the side view mirrors is quite slick and non-conducive to double sided tape without the promoter. I used the promoter when I stuck it on a year ago and had no issues even after washing car every 2 weeks on a consecutive basis.

Awesome, thank you for the response! I'd appreciate the pics! :)

Awesome, thank you for the response! I'd appreciate the pics! :)

here you go, per your request, parts still look new after one year of usage, again I recommend 3M adhesion promoter if you plan to do the side mirror chrome, like some members aid, just a slight subtle touch of chrome here and there not too much.

agree with some members, too much chrome is a bit gaudy, IMHO, this is what not to do, chrome pillars than black wind deflectors over the chrome, way overboard....

Last edited:
tomcat,
I like it, not too much chrome, just some restrained trim here and there, I like it, to me the 2017 CX-5 rear can use some chrome like the CX9 just to put it above the other CUV's in it's class.... just my 2 cents, seems plain as is

how tall is this guy, LOL, he makes the CX-5 look small like a CX-3 LOL

36733745783_322da8915d_b.jpg

I think the chrome on the CX-9 rear that crosses the tailights is sexy as hell

Back