Chevy Volt priced at $41,000

The Cruze costs $26k? :eek:

Here is the math I did.

A Fit costs $17k
A Prius cost $22k

For the $5000 price different and assume gas is at $5 per gallon
$5000 / 5 ($/gallon) = I can buy 1000 gallon of fuel (with the $5000) * 32 Miles/gallon = 32,000 miles
That would mean I can drive 32,000 before the price of both cars are equal. After that the Prius is only getting 18 mpg better than my fit. Sorry but not worth the price

Assume gas was at $3
$5000 / 3 ($/gallon) = 1666.66 gallon of fuel * 32 M/G = 53,333 miles
That would mean I can drive 53,333 before the price of both cars are equal.

No way will I buy a Prius.

Golf carts don't do 80mph silently. Actually I don't want to ride in a golf cart doing 80mph

Powered by a lithium-ion battery pack, the Volt will be capable of traveling up to 40 miles on purely electric power. For driving beyond 40 miles, the Volt will have a four-cylinder gasoline engine that will generate electricity to power the wheels.

I believe it's classified as an EV.

I'll be so happy when the fanboi obsession over this thing is over. It's a overly-subsidized vehicle that is still too expensive and, while highly practical for a small slice of the population, highly impractical for the rest. And the enviromental impact doesn't change unless we reconfigure the power grid to source energy from cleaner sources and figure out a way to mine and recycle all the heavy metals in the batteries. It's a waste IMO.

I'll be so happy when the fanboi obsession over this thing is over. It's a overly-subsidized vehicle that is still too expensive and, while highly practical for a small slice of the population, highly impractical for the rest. And the enviromental impact doesn't change unless we reconfigure the power grid to source energy from cleaner sources and figure out a way to mine and recycle all the heavy metals in the batteries. It's a waste IMO.

couldnt have said it better myself!

consumers are so dumb. All of us keep bashing GM and we should but its like a sub culture of ******* idiots that are signing up to pay 20k over MSRP...get the **** outta here

Exactly.. Buy a Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit, and realize your savings a lot quicker.

I keep waiting for a manufacturer to come in and blow the Volt, Prius, etc. away. Take a small car, throw in a small diesel engine electric hybrid plugin and get 100+ mpg. I remember reading about a group of high school students who put this kind of thing into a mid sized SUV and got over 100mpg with it, why can't an automaker do this? You could probably charge $40k (more for an SUV) for it too since it appears the Volt will get away with it.

Back