checking tire pressure

joemon1984

:
cx5 2014 GT
do I need to check tire pressure regularly even if TPMS is not alerting me to do so? If TPMS does not alert me, should I assume the tire pressure is normal? I live in canada and temperature varies to a great extent throughout the year

I check mine once every two weeks
Especially at this time of year, not sure where you are, but here in southern Ontario, it was snowing and below zero on Monday, but the forecast for this Sunday is +16
TPMS may not detect a very gradual change from daily temperatures but you'll lose a psi or 2 if it fluctuates a lot.

thanks Jeremy44. i live in regina,SK. i would take your advice and keep an eye on the tire pressure.
I check mine once every two weeks
Especially at this time of year, not sure where you are, but here in southern Ontario, it was snowing and below zero on Monday, but the forecast for this Sunday is +16
TPMS may not detect a very gradual change from daily temperatures but you'll lose a psi or 2 if it fluctuates a lot.

I use a digital gauge to check mine cold once a month or before any long highway trip. I think the CX5 tire checking system measure a differece in rotational speed so it is important to check on a regular bases. Ed

do I need to check tire pressure regularly even if TPMS is not alerting me to do so? If TPMS does not alert me, should I assume the tire pressure is normal? I live in canada and temperature varies to a great extent throughout the year

This TPMS does not read pressure directly, instead it compares the rotating speed of the tires to all the other tires. If they all decrease equally, it may not show a fault. So you should check them periodically. This is also why you have to reset the TPMS each time you put air in - you have to give it a new point of reference. This is called an 'indirect TPMS'.

Latest posts

Back