Checking codes---CEL related

shumax

Ok, I know someone's going to flame me. Either I'm not good at searching, or it's not there. The former of the two is most likely....anyway.

My 2002.5 P5 (autotragic)wasn't running great. You'd push the gas pedal down just a bit and not much would happen---it would hesitate a bit. I also have an annoying whistle sound at 71-72mph. It's not the windshield seal. If you let off the gas, it goes away. If you go faster, it goes away...mostly. If you put the tranny in neutral, it goes away. Under a slight to moderate load at 71-72mph, I get a whistle sound; higher pitched.

Anyway, I took off the intake (stock) and cleaned the throttle body with carb/choke cleaner and a stiff brush. Tons of crap in there. Took several tries to get it clean. Started the car and it sputtered a bit as it burnt that crap out of the intake manifold. Then ran fine to a nice idle. I decided to leave it running and see if I could hear the whistle. I thougt I did around the intake (stock). I kept the engine running and took the rubber pipe off down by the box. Car stumbled a bit and I put it back on. Did more searching but nothing looked abnormal. Put the car back together and went to bed.

Got up this morning and drove to work. Wow! Throttle response is immediate. It's great! Unfortunately, I now have a CEL. I think it has to do with my removing that rubber pipe as air entering the engine was no longer metered; might also explain why the car stumbled a bit.

Can someone tell me how to read the codes and then what they mean?

Thank you.
Curt

I believe you need one of those OBD-II scanners. The port for the scanner is on the driver side under the dash. Once you read the code, theres usually a book that comes with the scanner that tells you exactly whats wrong and then you can reset the code with the scanner. Hope that helps

You'll need to hook it up to an OBDII scanner. The cheap scanners will just give you a code read-out and then you have to look up the code in the service manual or other reference (can be found on-line, do a search for obdii codes). The better scanners will have the code and the associated sensor listed next to the code. Keep in mind that just becuase it lists a sensor, that doesn't mean it's a bad sensor. The sensor could be reading something out of spec.

GNO said:
You'll need to hook it up to an OBDII scanner. The cheap scanners will just give you a code read-out and then you have to look up the code in the service manual or other reference (can be found on-line, do a search for obdii codes). The better scanners will have the code and the associated sensor listed next to the code. Keep in mind that just becuase it lists a sensor, that doesn't mean it's a bad sensor. The sensor could be reading something out of spec.

You're kidding? I thought you could use the key and do some funky business with it and get the CEL to flash. You'd get a code from that and then x-ref with someone or the shop manual? That's the way it was on my Maxima. Not on this car?

If that's the case, I'm going to unhook the battery and see if it goes away. If not, it's going to the dealer---it only has 33,500 miles and is 2-years old. Read: WARRANTY.

Thanks,
Curt

daKiNeP5 said:
I believe you need one of those OBD-II scanners. The port for the scanner is on the driver side under the dash. Once you read the code, theres usually a book that comes with the scanner that tells you exactly whats wrong and then you can reset the code with the scanner. Hope that helps
how much does the scanner go for?

i just bought one at advanced auto for 150. comes with a cd for croww referencing the codes. i'll bring it along sun and i can show you how it works. there are better ones out there, but they run about 250-+. this works finr for what i need.

thanks BJoe....
bazooka joe said:
i just bought one at advanced auto for 150. comes with a cd for croww referencing the codes. i'll bring it along sun and i can show you how it works. there are better ones out there, but they run about 250-+. this works finr for what i need.

My scanner connects to my laptop. It gives me all sorts of readings. I bought my current scanner for $120 and it'll hook up to most all OBDII vehicles. I bought it on a GB with www.OBD-2.com. The basic version can be had for $85 on a GB.

In the past, I've used an AutoTap. It has much friendlier software, but it costs $230-300. They also have a PDA version.

shumax - since whatever caused the CEL to trip was most likely intermittant. The light should clear after 3 sucessful starts.

GNO said:
shumax - since whatever caused the CEL to trip was most likely intermittant. The light should clear after 3 sucessful starts.
Really?! That'd be nice! I'm going to go out after work and start the car and immediately shut it down and then restart. If it doesn't do it, I'll head to autozone to have it "read."

Where's a good site to x-ref the codes at?

Thanks!
Curt

You can go to Autozone and get them to pull the CEL code for free.

And that whistling at 70? It's your roof rack. Take it off and see what I mean.

Devman

Devman said:
You can go to Autozone and get them to pull the CEL code for free.

And that whistling at 70? It's your roof rack. Take it off and see what I mean.

Devman

I don't have the roofrack on anymore---it's a higher pitched whistle.

I unhooked the battery for 5min. and hooked it back up. Went for a drive and ran it pretty hard. No CEL. Let's hope it stays that way.

Curt

Back