Changing OEM tire size on 2017 CX-9 Touring

meatburglar

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 Touring
So. I'm looking to replace the tires on my 2017 CX-9 Touring, but the OEM size is a huge pain to find as not many people seem to make the 255/60r18 tire. There's a few out there, but selection is really limited. So I'm toying with the notion of going up slightly to a 265. Lots more (and better) tires to choose from and only around .5" difference in diameter. I know about speedo/monitoring issues already and can live with that - but my main concern is how tight these guys tend to be in the wheel well. I've scanned the forum and Couldn't find anyone who has asked this question before, but has anyone here done this? I wanna pull the trigger on some nice Michelins that are a great price right now, but want some sort of confirmation before ordering them on tire rack and spending $700.

Thanks!

In this case, I don't think a 1/2" difference is going to make much of a difference. I had a 2008 Lexus IS250 AWD and replaced the stock 17x8 +45 offset wheels and 225/45/17 tires with 18x9.5 wheels and 245/40/18 tires, resulting in an 18.9mm difference in diameter. They did rub the wheel well liners on hard turns, but that was because I had lowered the car a few inches. But hold off and wait for someone more experienced than me to chime in.

Last edited:
I don't know if clearance will be an issue, however you also need to keep rim width in mind. I believe that the touring rims are 8" wide. I don't know if an 8" wide rim can take a 265 width tire.

Tirerack.com lists 8 tires in your size, and they don't stock all brands. They do list exactly ONE tire in 265/60-18.

Take a close look at the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season or the Continental Crosscontact LX Sport. Either should do a fine job.

BF Goodrich

I had a set of BF Goodrich 265/60/R18 Advantage TA Sport tires installed on my 2017 CX-9 touring last month. So far, they have been great in the snow and there have been no issues with the slightly larger tire dimensions. I also ended up going this route due to the slim selection of tires in the OEM size. The original Yokohama tires were completely worn at 27,000 miles so I'm hoping that I have better luck with the BFG's.

Did you fit the BFGs in OEM rims? Was there any issues of fit/clearance with 265/60/r18s?
I did this size with pirelli scorpion a/s 2s. Great tire. Love them in the rain but to be honest, they're heavier at the bump in size. I've lost about 2-3 mpg. Check the weight of the tires you're going to buy. Going from the stock yokohamas to the pirellis added a few lbs per tire and I've noticed it.

No issue at all with clearance or fitment, just rather annoying the loss of MPG and they feel heavier.

265/60/18s are a common tire for smaller trucks like the tacoma with 18s. The added weight is due to building them for heavier loads.

I'm planning on getting the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws in 265/60/r18 . These are ~5 pounds heavier than my OEM Yokos, but the reviews of these tires in Snow and Off Road makes me want to get them. :)

Alright, tell me if you think this is too crazy. I want to get some bigger sidewall on my 4Runner and try out the AT3W on my CX-9. If I got some 17” wheels for my CX-9, I could transfer the 265/70/17 on to those wheels and stuff them in the wheel wells of the CX-9. They are about 1.5 inches bigger than the stock tires but the total weight per corner would go down by 9 pounds with the wheels I have picked out. This would not be a permanent setup and may end up being just my winter setup and go for a more mild tire for other seasons, but I wanted to get some input from people who have changed their tire size and if they think that might fit. Thoughts?

Alright.... If I got some 17” wheels for my CX-9, I could transfer the 265/70/17 on to those wheels and stuff them in the wheel wells of the CX-9. They are about 1.5 inches bigger than the stock.... This would not be a permanent setup and may end up being just my winter setup.... Thoughts?
Winter tires should be OEM width or skinnier if you're going to get a dedicated winter setup. Tread pattern has a huge benefit so the 265 in the ATW3s would help a ton over a oem HT style. But skinner is typically better regardless...

Also, saving 9lbs gets thrown out be going 1.5in larger. Rotational weight changes when the rotation gets further from Center point...

Swapped my OEM yokos to Falken Wild Peak AT/3w in 265/60r18 setting, got 4 wheel alignment done as well too. Off the bat, the steering felt a little lighter, not a huge difference in acceleration or mileage, I guess the tire noise is low too. These are initial impressions ~30mile return commute.
I was not sure if the off road type tires would look out of place on my cx9, but I don't find it awkward/loud.

The car however seems to pull to the left at higher speeds (>60 mph) Im sure this wasn't the case before the alignment today. Will test it out a bit more this weekend and will take it in if the car continues to pull left.

Attachments

• IMG_20210827_153313.jpg
    IMG_20210827_153313.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20210827_153319.jpg
    IMG_20210827_153319.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_20210827_153324.jpg
    IMG_20210827_153324.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 361
Back