2007~2015 Changing From Smart-Key Fob To Chip Key

:
2009 Mazda CX-9 GT
Tired of my smart-key fob not working, so considering going old skool with chip keys.

Has anybody tossed their credit card style smart-key fob in the garbage and gone to a chip key? I need to make sure it is possible before I go down this path.

My Mazda dealer doesn't think it is possible, and I am waiting to hear back from a few locksmiths. I am sure I've read of people doing it.

do not trust dealer too much.

i havent seen that type of keyfob in person but if is there any metal key and can start the car without fob, you may have option to convert your key to chip keys.

do not trust dealer too much.

i havent seen that type of keyfob in person but if is there any metal key and can start the car without fob, you may have option to convert your key to chip keys.
There is a blade key inside the smart-key fob, and I'm assuming said blade key has a chip in it. I would use it but it is an akward shape and has no way to put it on a key ring. Just want to see if anybody else has done this successfully before I throw money at it.

And agreed, I don't trust dealers too much, if at all. LOL

There is a blade key inside the smart-key fob, and I'm assuming said blade key has a chip in it. I would use it but it is an akward shape and has no way to put it on a key ring. Just want to see if anybody else has done this successfully before I throw money at it.

And agreed, I don't trust dealers too much, if at all. LOL
I have 2011 with keyless fob and i do not have spare fob. I bought uncut key on ebay and chip then stop by locksmith.

locksmith cut the key and it opens the door without any issue. They couldnt program the chip. Even they couldnt figure out what was wrong until i saw the chip info. The chip I bought was wrong type of chip.

so, if you buy uncut key with remote on it, you can take it to locksmith for cut. I believe they can program the remote.

when I did the process, i remember key cut was around $45, programming was $90

Thanks for the info. I am waiting to hear back from a few locksmiths.

In the mean time, here is my temporary solution..... key from my spare smart-key, some tape, some wire, and a few misc keychain items, and voila! A key that can go on my keychain and be used to start the vehicle. It ain't pretty, but it will do the job for now.

Smart_Key_019.JPG

I have a 2-way remote start/alarm to do all the work. The smart-key fob's two roles are to provide keyless ignition and carry an emergency key for when it fails, so all I need is a basic key.

Smart_Key_025.JPG

Got a reply from one locksmith; quoted $100CDN per key (he supplied the key, cut it and programmed it). Will be interesting to hear from the rest.

All done. Found a locksmith that knew what he was talking about, came to my house on a holiday, supplied one test key, two chip keys, cut and programmed them for $150. And I got to watch the whole process. Had to cut the two wings off the ignition cylinder to clear the key (you could force the key in), so still have to clean that up a bit.

I am now a happy camper.

Smart_Key_026.JPG

Smart_Key_029.JPG

Smart_Key_030.JPG

No more smart-key fob on my keychain. Yay!

Smart_Key_031.JPG

Decided to trim the cover to clear the key, and give a little cleaner look.

Smart_Key_044.JPG

Smart_Key_046.JPG

Smart_Key_048.JPG

And an interesting note: when I remote start, the insert the key and disable the remote start, the red "key" on the dash stays illuminated (sometimes). When I start with the key, the red "key" stays off.

I think I will call this project complete. On to the next one. 🙂

Last edited:
Back