Chains on 20" wheels?

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to keep in my car for emergencies, in case I ever need to drive in sand or put them on (required in CA) to drive up in the mountains when it snows. I read the manual and there is a note that says:
Use of tire chains on a vehicle equipped with P255/50R20 specification tires could cause interference with the vehicle body and scratching. If tire chains are to be used, replace both front and rear tires with P255/60R18 tires.

I'm not planning on switching my tires to R18, but I'm curious to know if anyone with FWD 20" has used chains in their vehicles? What was the usage? and Did you encounter any problems?

There is a picture in the thread and you can see the tolerance is very narrow. I personally tried cable style snow chain and I was not comfortable how close it was to the strut. The thick chains that you have will very likely run into issues. But I guess since you bought them already, install and try them out and let us know.

I bought https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) to keep in my car for emergencies, in case I ever need to drive in sand or put them on (required in CA) to drive up in the mountains when it snows. I read the manual and there is a note that says:

I'm not planning on switching my tires to R18, but I'm curious to know if anyone with FWD 20" has used chains in their vehicles? What was the usage? and Did you encounter any problems?

I just purchased a 21 AWD cx9 in California and was required to sign a document at the dealer stating to use only snow belts and to never use chains. I wonder if its different FWD vs AWD?

I just purchased a 21 AWD cx9 in California and was required to sign a document at the dealer stating to use only snow belts and to never use chains. I wonder if its different FWD vs AWD?
Probably not. I might’ve signed something similar back in 2016, can’t remember, but it sounds familiar. I’ll look into snow cables. I think this is such a design flaw. No one reads the manual prior to purchasing and you can’t anticipate when you would need chains in your vehicle. People move, conditions change, etc.

Probably not. I might’ve signed something similar back in 2016, can’t remember, but it sounds familiar. I’ll look into snow cables. I think this is such a design flaw. No one reads the manual prior to purchasing and you can’t anticipate when you would need chains in your vehicle. People move, conditions change, etc.
Exactly, pain the butt.

My plan is to eventually buy some new 20s for everyday driving and these stock 20s will get some winter/snow tires for when we go up to Tahoe. The dealer said with AWD and snow tires, no snow cables will be required. Kind of a pain for us but should work.

Exactly, pain the butt.

My plan is to eventually buy some new 20s for everyday driving and these stock 20s will get some winter/snow tires for when we go up to Tahoe. The dealer said with AWD and snow tires, no snow cables will be required. Kind of a pain for us but should work.
Check with CHP. Chains are required in California. No matter if you have a 4x4 with snow tires or not.

In California (and many mountain states) tire chains or alternative traction devices must be carried on mountain roads. You need chains or traction devices on the tires in R3 conditions...rare, really bad, and hazardous...when every vehicle need chains or devices.

There are slight differences in the sizes of the 18" & 20" tires. Looking at tirerack.com for Continental CrossContact LX Sport:
255/60-18, section width 10.2", tread width 8.2", O.D. 30"
255/50-20, section width 10.3", tread width 8.6", O.D. 30"

So, maybe that slight size difference in the 18" tires allows for clearance with Class S chains or cables while there will be interference on the 20s. Or maybe some will fit 20s, some won't, and the manual says to avoid them just to be prudent.

What about for 4WD vehicles with snow tires? Same thing need to carry chains?
In California, yes. I live in San Diego and when it snows in the mountains in Julian chains are required no matter what car you have.
I’ve never been yet, but read enough plus the news always says you must have chains before going.

In California (and many mountain states) tire chains or alternative traction devices must be carried on mountain roads. You need chains or traction devices on the tires in R3 conditions...rare, really bad, and hazardous...when every vehicle need chains or devices.

There are slight differences in the sizes of the 18" & 20" tires. Looking at tirerack.com for Continental CrossContact LX Sport:
255/60-18, section width 10.2", tread width 8.2", O.D. 30"
255/50-20, section width 10.3", tread width 8.6", O.D. 30"

So, maybe that slight size difference in the 18" tires allows for clearance with Class S chains or cables while there will be interference on the 20s. Or maybe some will fit 20s, some won't, and the manual says to avoid them just to be prudent.
Thanks - I’ll have to look up what tread and section width are. The 2016 manual has the information in the notes section. It’s not really a warning or at least not labeled as such. I plan to call the dealer and ask and try on the chains in my driveway when I receive them. They also sell a plastic version with spikes, but not sure how good those are.

I finally got a change to install the chains on my 2016 GT with 20" ... What do you guys think of the clearance? is it safe? The install was easier that I thought. I drove in a straight line back and forth from my driveway to the middle of the road... I read it's not good to drive them on dried pavement.

Chains on 20"

Back