Ceramic Wrap

Blendercloud

Contributor
:
2007 Mazdaspeed 6 Sport
Does anyone have any experience wrapping certain heat-sensitive components on the MS6 engine with ceramic fiber? I used this on my race car to not only protect important parts (plugs & wires), but to insulate from heat (intake manifold & headers).

I'm just wondering if anybody has considered wrapping the tanks of the intercooler and piping as well as the turbo inlet pipe and intake with ceramic to protect against heat. If/when I replace the factory exhaust manifold, I will definitely be wrapping that, but at this point the stock heat shield is probably sufficient.

I'm going to be looking for viable suppliers outside of the normal website vendors for the best solutions at the cheapest prices. I'll post with more details when they are available.

Edit: After thinking about it and looking a bit more, it's probably easier to use a ceramic spray in some of these places. I'll be checking into that as well.

Last edited:
the material of your cobb tubes its completely sufficient as far as heatproofing goes, if its metal piping however it cant hurt!

I'm mainly looking for the best way to insulate the TMIC from engine heat. I'm also considering ceramic/thermal blanketing.

This is going to be fun!

Did you ever get around to this project Blendercloud?

I've been looking at some of these guy's products recently:
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/automotive_products.php

I was originally just looking to wrap the manifold, turbo and DP. But noticed that they also sell some heat sheild wraps, which could help reduce intake/IC piping temps too.

I don't think any of their stuff is ceramic, but it ranges from 1000-2000 degrees continuous.

Spray on would be ideal though...but probably more expensive, right? I haven't done any research on it yet.

I actually postponed this project because of how painful it would be to remove it during warranty. It will be a couple years, but I'll eventually pursue this.

well whenever u do post something up, and hopefully i still have a mazda and am on this forum lol

When this car leaves warranty I'll be posting a lot of how-to's on my trek toward 500whp. This will be one of them. Thanks for your interest!

Back