Center Console getting hot

kkatfcrc

I noticed that my Cx9 is getting hot near the shifter/center console area. It has been like that ever since I bought the car last oct. It is an 08 FWD GT.
Does anyone have this issue? Is it normal?

Thanks

It's probably the ducts running under the console to the rear control in the second row. But if you are using A/C which is about what everyone is doing now, does it still get hot?

IIRC, in the winter months, when I put my portable mug in the cup holder area, I remember it being warm due to the heat (not of the mug but heater).

It's probably the ducts running under the console to the rear control in the second row. But if you are using A/C which is about what everyone is doing now, does it still get hot?

IIRC, in the winter months, when I put my portable mug in the cup holder area, I remember it being warm due to the heat (not of the mug but heater).

Um, no. There are no ducts running under the console from the front heater to the console vents. The console contains a completely separate heater core, AC condenser, and fan to provide heat and A/C to the rear area. That's why the console is so massive yet not very deep.

If you're wondering how I know this, I have the factory service manual and it's covered in there.

Last edited:
Um, no. There are no ducts running under the console from the front heater to the console vents. The console contains a completely separate heater core, AC condenser, and fan to provide heat and A/C to the rear area. That's why the console is so massive yet not very deep.

If you're wonder how I know this, I have the factory service manual and it's covered in there.

I didn't exactly say the ducts was running from the front heater core to the rear control. But you are right. I was thinking just that. I should have known since what you said makes perfect sense since the 08 GT is a tri-zone, right?

So, if the heater core and A/C condensor is underneath the console, wouldn't it make the entire console area warm then? Esp in the cup holder area like I mentioned?

Btw, does the service manual list what bulbs are used on the lighting around the gear shift? Can't imagine them putting out that much heat.

Last edited:
You'll be amazed how much heat those little bulb can generate. I too have noticed the center console getting hot especially in the storage bin where I keep my Ipod. To me, it seems to be climate control related. If I have temp on hot, it will stay warm. Otherwise, its ok when the temp. control is set to cold.

My lights are set to Auto. But it is getting hot near the shifter indicator area regardless of whether the lights are on or off or if it is cold or hot. I am surprised if the tiny bulbs that illuminate the shifter indicator are the source of the heat. It is not a real big problem for me but I just wanted to find out if others have also seen this. I can live with it as long as there is no real heat leak from the engine.

Strange. I touched the center console after driving this weekend, and I failed to feel any spot that is hot enough to be abnormal? Can you point it within a picture where exactly it is?

There are no heated ducts under there. All of the HVAC is behind the shifter. (The fan is under the cupholders)

Are you sure it's not hot during the day from the sun? Our trim plate gets pretty hot (like when the lighting heats it up) when it's in the sun. Hotter than the surrounding trim, because of the harder smoother plastic, I assume.

I have noticed in the past, more noticeable in the winter because the car is cold, the area around the shifter, specifically the plastic shift indication area does radiate heat. Those little bulbs do put out a good amount of heat, but not enough to melt plastic.

Back