CarPC install in 2008.5 Mazda 3 5-door GT

i wanna do up a car pc...i alrady have the system....at least now i know i don't have to buy a $1200 HU with everything on it....i can get a cheaper one and build up a car pc and have even more for less....YAY

I have never said Damn or Oh Snap! during a post until I read this. I am so impressed, looks clean!!!!! And the fact that your running Pandora in your car, I thought it was cool that I ran Pandora on my iPhone and just plugged that into the aux jack...ha, im lame.

How hot does the computer get sitting under the plastic and carpet with no air circulation?

How hot does the computer get sitting under the plastic and carpet with no air circulation?

I have not had any overheating issues. I've had the computer in the car since July, and it has hit over 100 degrees where I live. Several things help keep it cool though. The Intel atom processor is designed to run cool, and there are dual fans that are part of the computer case, and another on the motherboard itself.

The BIOS of the motherboard will shut down the computer automatically if it does overheat.

Jarred

I have not had any overheating issues. I've had the computer in the car since July, and it has hit over 100 degrees where I live. Several things help keep it cool though. The Intel atom processor is designed to run cool, and there are dual fans that are part of the computer case, and another on the motherboard itself.

The BIOS of the motherboard will shut down the computer automatically if it does overheat.

Jarred

where you live at...i was about to ask the same question...thinking about doing something like this seriously but here in tx sometimes it's can be about 120 in the car....

You are my dark god. My lord and master.

Seriously, this is how I envisioned doing mine when I got the scratch, and you just made it paint by numbers for me.

Nicely done sir...

I actually heard that the 2008 Lilliput's are a BIG step forward in terms of brightness, a true next-gen experience...

What does it look like in the daylight? Very very cool man, great job!

It works well in daylight. Between the hours of 11:00am and 1:00pm it can get somewhat washed out, if the sun hits it just right. With the high contrast colors I'm using in the skin, it is always legible.

I actually heard that the 2008 Lilliput's are a BIG step forward in terms of brightness, a true next-gen experience...

Yes, the 2008 LED-Backlit units are a big improvement over the previous screen I had in my prior vehicle.

There are screens that cost close to $700 that are trans-reflective, and work perfectly in the Sun. For my uses, I would rather save the almost $500 difference.

Great job! Looks like it was a major project so I'm sure it feels good to be done. I like the stock look but... the only thing I don't get is why people feel the need to have a freakin computer in their car. I mean really... even the ability to watch dvds (and don't even get me started on playing video games) is a bit ridiculous imo. One of those things that sounds awesome... but in reality, rarely gets used. And if you ARE using your car for such activities... lol I'd probably urge you to find a place to live.

But seriously... nice work. I'm on the verge of getting an MS3 and, since my current car has an indash nav system with all the bells and whistles, I'm going to be looking at my options. An aftermarket flip up screen is an interesting idea. I prefer touchscreens for obvious reasons... but would also like to keep the audio controls in tact so we'll see.

damn... i was dissappointed when my speed3 didnt have the tray under the rear floor panel in the trunk. Was it optional or is that ONLY on the regular 3???

damn... i was dissappointed when my speed3 didnt have the tray under the rear floor panel in the trunk. Was it optional or is that ONLY on the regular 3???
It's only on the regular 3. The spare is different and the tray doesn't fit.

Great job! Looks like it was a major project so I'm sure it feels good to be done. I like the stock look but... the only thing I don't get is why people feel the need to have a freakin computer in their car. I mean really... even the ability to watch dvds (and don't even get me started on playing video games) is a bit ridiculous imo. One of those things that sounds awesome... but in reality, rarely gets used. And if you ARE using your car for such activities... lol I'd probably urge you to find a place to live.

But seriously... nice work. I'm on the verge of getting an MS3 and, since my current car has an indash nav system with all the bells and whistles, I'm going to be looking at my options. An aftermarket flip up screen is an interesting idea. I prefer touchscreens for obvious reasons... but would also like to keep the audio controls in tact so we'll see.

The main reason for installing a computer in the car is the fact that you can customize it to the way you like it. For instance, if I do not like a certain front-end, I can try another, without having to replace the entire unit. There are no other options that are as flexible. Plus, it is somewhat less expensive than the other options as well, especially when it comes to renewing GPS maps, etc.

The other thing I like is that it is a lawyer-free option. I hate the fact with factory systems, you always have to accept a liability message every time you use the navigation system.

Can u connect something like magden to a dif input on the monitor or is there another program that you can use to monitor ur gauges on the screen? I did see a gauges icon in one of the pics but wasn't sure what it was.

Can u connect something like magden to a dif input on the monitor or is there another program that you can use to monitor ur gauges on the screen? I did see a gauges icon in one of the pics but wasn't sure what it was.

The gauges button shown in the picture referred to gauges in the RoadRunner front-end.

The monitor has two other composite video inputs that can be used for other purposes. It also has a wire that can be wired into the transmission backup-lights for a backup camera to switch inputs automatically.

This looks really good, man. I did an install in my Speed 3 but ended up taking up a ton more space in the hatch area. Nice work.

By the way, I've found that the Gizmo Red skin in Centrafuse looks pretty good (with logos changed) at night.

I've been thinking about doing almost the same thing since I bought my 3...

would the PC case fit into the glove box without any trimming?

Back