Care and feeding of the 2.5 turbo

:
CX-5 Signature
So I took delivery of a 2019 Signature on NYE and it’s also the first turbo engine car that I ever owned.So what are some basics I should know to keep it tip top shape. I read somewhere where you’re supposed to wait like 30 seconds after parking it before shutting it down IF you really put it through its paces on a hot day. Any advice appreciated!
Thanks

Number 1 is to read the owners manual. The required mantaince schedual is spelled out in the manual. I've always just treated my turbo engine CX7 like any daily driver. Don't push it until it has warmed up for a few miles and then only medium throttle especially during the first few thousand miles. Ed

So I took delivery of a 2019 Signature on NYE and it’s also the first turbo engine car that I ever owned.So what are some basics I should know to keep it tip top shape. I read somewhere where you’re supposed to wait like 30 seconds after parking it before shutting it down IF you really put it through its paces on a hot day. Any advice appreciated!
Thanks

Wait for 30 seconds after parking if you've done short jaunts, lots of uphill driving, or been doing lots of freeway driving where you've been punching it.

Also, let the car warm up a bit before you drive away in the cold if you live in a cold are. Wait until the RPM's drop to 1000 or below.

use the recommended oil, and get your oil changes done when the manual says to get it done.

Is Castrol synthetic good like Mazda specs out for it in the manual or are there better choices?

Last edited:
Is Castro 5w30 synthetic good like Mazda specs out for it in the manual or are there better choices?
Yes, Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic oil is the one I’d use If I had a 2.5T turbo. I also would try to let the engine idling for 30 seconds before shutting it down.

Yes, Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic oil is the one I’d use If I had a 2.5T turbo. I also would try to let the engine idling for 30 seconds before shutting it down.
Do the Mazda dealerships have this on hand or would it be better to bring in my own 5qt "Jug"? I see that that is around $25.00 at Walmart.com among other places

Do the Mazda dealerships have this on hand or would it be better to bring in my own 5qt "Jug"? I see that that is around $25.00 at Walmart.com among other places

Congrats on the new ride!

To answer your question above, it would be better if you changed the oil yourself. If you can't/won't do it yourself then ask the dealer what oil they have on hand to use in your CX and what oil filter they will be using. If they don't have the oil you want in your CX on hand then by all means, bring your own oil for them to use. Make sure you tell them that you're going to do this though.

To answer your question above, it would be better if you changed the oil yourself. If you can't/won't do it yourself then ask the dealer what oil they have on hand to use in your CX and what oil filter they will be using. If they don't have the oil you want in your CX on hand then by all means, bring your own oil for them to use. Make sure you tell them that you're going to do this though.
And when OP brings his own oil to the dealer for oil change, make sure to ask the Service Advisor to save the empty oil bottles / container of OP brought in the trunk. ;)

Engine idling for at least 30 seconds before shutting it down is the smart thing to do with ALL turbo engines.

Well in the CX-5 manual it calls for a tad over 5qts (5.1 to be exact) with a new filter (why would you not replace the filter at each oil change?) so then I’d need to buy an extra quart to ensure I got the right amount. Not the end of the world I guess but slightly inconvenient. I’m not into changing my own oil as a matter of preference. I guess I’ll need to ask the dealer or oil change place (I’ve used Valvoline ROC for years with my last 3 cars with no problems) what they stock for synthetic. But I trust them (Valvoline) to do good work oil change wise anyway (if they find a dirty air filter or worn blade I just say no and drive over to O’Reilly afterwords and pay 1/2 the price that they want LOL)

Well in the CX-5 manual it calls for a tad over 5qts (5.1 to be exact) with a new filter (why would you not replace the filter at each oil change?) so then I’d need to buy an extra quart to ensure I got the right amount. Not the end of the world I guess but slightly inconvenient. I’m not into changing my own oil as a matter of preference. I guess I’ll need to ask the dealer or oil change place (I’ve used Valvoline ROC for years with my last 3 cars with no problems) what they stock for synthetic. But I trust them (Valvoline) to do good work oil change wise anyway (if they find a dirty air filter or worn blade I just say no and drive over to O’Reilly afterwords and pay 1/2 the price that they want LOL)
The Mazds OEM oil filter for your new 2.5T is different from the OEM oil filter used on 2.5L. If you use Mazda dealers they will use correct OEM oil filter for oil change. Most Mazds dealers use Castrol Edge oil too in bulk and you can check with your Mazda dealer and use their oil. Those independent oil change shops they definitely will use aftermarket oil filters. The problem to me IMO is those aftermarket oil filters are one-size-fit-all, the same oil filter is used for both 2.5T and 2.5L, as well as many other different engines from different car manufactures. Stick with your Mazda dealer for oil change if you prefer not to DIY on oil change.

Last edited:
The Mazds OEM oil filter for your new 2.5T is different from the OEM oil filter used on 2.5L. If you use Mazda dealers they will use correct OEM oil filter for oil change. Most Mazds dealers use Castrol Edge oil too in bulk and you can check with your Mazda dealer and use their oil. Those independent oil change shops they definitely will use aftermarket oil filters. The problem to me IMO is those aftermarket oil files are one-size-fit-all, the same oil filter is used for both 2.5T and 2.5L, as well as many other different engines from different car manufactures. Stick with your Mazda dealer for oil change if you prefer not to DIY on oil change.
Good to know, thanks. I was assuming that a Mazda dealer would have to stick to their specs but you never know. This is my first Mazda product (Subie owner prior to this) so I’m asking a lot of questions as would be expected I guess. I’ll just have to make sure I check the oil levels before driving off to make sure they didn’t over fill it (Valvoline always shows you the dipstick as you’re sitting in the vehicle anyway)

You're going to take your new CX to a quick oil change shop? Ok then.

The Mazds OEM oil filter for your new 2.5T is different from the OEM oil filter used on 2.5L. If you use Mazda dealers they will should use correct OEM oil filter for oil change. Most Mazds dealers use Castrol Edge oil too in bulk and you can check with your Mazda dealer and use their oil. Those independent oil change shops they definitely will use aftermarket oil filters. The problem to me IMO is those aftermarket oil filters are one-size-fit-all, the same oil filter is used for both 2.5T and 2.5L, as well as many other different engines from different car manufactures. Stick with your Mazda dealer for oil change if you prefer not to DIY on oil change.

FIFY (fixed it for you)

You're going to take your new CX to a quick oil change shop? Ok then.
Not unless I can get the Mazda recommended oil at the dealer as it would be easier. Like I wrote above, I've been going to the same Valvoline ROC in my area for years and never had an issue with the 3 Subarus I've owned in the past. I won't go to a Jiffy Lube franchise shop as I've heard lots of horror stories about that outfit. But yeah I will probably have the dealer do the service for now since it is under warranty and they will document service visits as well.

Not unless I can get the Mazda recommended oil at the dealer as it would be easier. Like I wrote above, I've been going to the same Valvoline ROC in my area for years and never had an issue with the 3 Subarus I've owned in the past. I won't go to a Jiffy Lube franchise shop as I've heard lots of horror stories about that outfit. But yeah I will probably have the dealer do the service for now since it is under warranty and they will document service visits as well.
One of the good reason to have your dealer doing the maintenance if you prefer not doing it by yourself.

I second the earlier comment to follow the owners manual maintenance intervals religiously. This shows spark plugs at 40k miles, on the low side of most modern vehicles. Combine this with a $24 EA price for OEM plugs and this item will cost marginally more than the average car. On the positive side, from the video I have seen on youtube and looking at my 2019 GTR, it looks like a fairly easy DIY job if you are so inclined. Note, I am by no means an expert or mechanic, just an owner for 9 months who has read way too many articles and forums.

Back