CARB-Legal Intake?

Max Archer

:
'12 Mazda 2 Touring 5MT/'87 325IS 2DR 5MT
I'd like to stay legal, if possible. I've seen somebody saying that the Injen is CARB Exempt, but it's not on Injen's list and sellers say it isn't exempt. I don't imagine there's any chance that the Corksport one is legal here?

Probably not. We would have to see a pretty big pickup in sales before we would consider it. The whole process is really drawn out and costs around $15000 at a minimum.

-Derrick

That's kinda what I figured. At least yours is pretty simple to swap out, unlike a true CAI that would be a lot harder to deal with if I got a fix-it ticket.

When I go get my car smogged will they know I have a non CARB approved Intake?

Last edited:
So does the CS intake throw a CEL? As long as it doesn't do that, I'd still be in the market. I'm in Cali, but the dude that I get to check my car for smog doesn't do a visual. As long as the sniffer doesn't catch anything, he doesn't care.

no cel for me and most of the other users here with the CS intake...only CEL that i've heard of is with a custom cold air box that people make themselves...otherwise its fine.

I had posted that the Injen cai was carb legal but I now admit I had not done all my research right. I just wrote Injen and they responded that its pending approval. i apologize for that mis-information.

Made my own , no CE light... + 5.5 HP

Andres
so ur mz2 is now 105.5 hp? wooohooo lol on a serious note. carb emission is NOT really a BIG DEAL. all u have to do is when its time to smog replace it with ur STOCK intake. unless ur from cali that cops fawks with u and opens up ur hood then ur screwed. as far as i remember cali smog does not require u every year its every other year. so changing it from after market to stock isnt a bad thing. and theres a few SMOG TEST place that will pass u with after market A.I. the only thing u should be aware of is SMOG TEST only place does a visual inspection...

no cel for me and most of the other users here with the CS intake...only CEL that i've heard of is with a custom cold air box that people make themselves...otherwise its fine.

i only got a cel when i led the air thru the front vent at an angle. so the sensor was reading all the air from a harsh angle. if you make a box that has even airflow all around the filter you wont get a CEL, and CS (if they make one ;) ) should address this

i only got a cel when i led the air thru the front vent at an angle. so the sensor was reading all the air from a harsh angle. if you make a box that has even airflow all around the filter you wont get a CEL, and CS (if they make one ;) ) should address this

We are plugging away on the air duct. Rough eta is June/July

-Derrick

so ur mz2 is now 105.5 hp? wooohooo lol on a serious note. carb emission is NOT really a BIG DEAL. all u have to do is when its time to smog replace it with ur STOCK intake. unless ur from cali that cops fawks with u and opens up ur hood then ur screwed. as far as i remember cali smog does not require u every year its every other year. so changing it from after market to stock isnt a bad thing. and theres a few SMOG TEST place that will pass u with after market A.I. the only thing u should be aware of is SMOG TEST only place does a visual inspection...

I think it's even longer with a new car. I had my Si for a little over three years and never had to smog it. I'm more worried about getting my hood popped at a meet or chilling in the canyons or whatever. Fixit ticket isn't that big of a deal though.

An extra 5HP isn't too bad when you think about the fact that it's 5% more HP. That's enough to feel, and the throttle response should improve too. Plus it sounds nice, haha.

Smog check exemptions in California are for the first five years; you pay only the abatement fee for these years. Your first inspection is on year six and every other year following.

And the process is changing Jan 2013.

ODB2 cars will get a scan for codes and a visual inspection. No more analyzer. WOOT.

Smog check exemptions in California are for the first five years; you pay only the abatement fee for these years. Your first inspection is on year six and every other year following.

That is not too bad at all.

-Derrick

Latest posts

Back