Car just died.

:
97 Maxima SE 5spd
Coming home, heard a thud and then the engine died, coasted to a stop. Motor turns over but doesn't crank. No cel comes on when the ignition is set to acc or on or wahtever. We think its the fuel pump, can't hear it kick on. Is there a reset or fuse I can check? We're pulling it tomorrow to see if its getting power or to see if when given power it turns on. Sucks, I just got my new exhaust and everything.

does it crank??. that happened to me while cruising at 45 MPH and it was a fuse. hope it helps

Jose

is there compression when the motor turns or does it pretty much sound like a huge electric drill?

If there is no compression (like busted piston or rod) then you could here the motor turning but not compressing. Also it usually turns pretty easily.

Sounded like your typical nuh nuh nuh nuh sound, I guess thats the best way for me to describe. Basically, it sounds exactly normal, except the car doesn't start. Making sure I'm getting power to the fuel pump tomorrow morning, but first I'm checking all my fuses. I think my motor is fine, I couldn't see/smell/hear anything that might suggest it's blown, but who knows. How can I check for compression?

Make sure that one of your hoses did not pop off the intercooler, turbo, or throttlebody. The car will make a poping sound and then act exactly as you have described if something is off. Check your clamps.

There should be a fuel pump reset, check your manual for its location. I suspect its a loose clamp pipe, etc.

Check all the fuses in the left panel and under the hood. A similar think happened to me when I got the car...

with this type of situation the car will usually start, just immediately stall though.

DAWIV said:
Make sure that one of your hoses did not pop off the intercooler, turbo, or throttlebody. The car will make a poping sound and then act exactly as you have described if something is off. Check your clamps.

There should be a fuel pump reset, check your manual for its location. I suspect its a loose clamp pipe, etc.

Car's been dying all day. Popped another fuse early in the morning, but haven't popped anymore so far. Removed my turbo timer, and that cut down on the amount I died, pulling the power to my amp next. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Back