Car & Driver's CX-5 2.5L review

Good stuff.

Pretty much what was expected, other than top speed up to 130 (plus 15 or so).

here is one from autoblog
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/05/2014-mazda-cx-5-with-2-5-liter-skyactiv-engine/

some nice shots of the soul red too. looks much better than in some of the other photos where it looked almost orange-y

they say that the 2.5 adds 100 pounds.....which really doesnt sound right at all.

Wow, that autoblog article is a freaking mess. C&D did a better job of reporting after driving it in Texas.

They will probably edit the 7.2 second 0-60 estimate later (and never mention that they edited it since it's on-line).

Last edited:
I didn't realize that they removed the Alarm System from the equipment list. Now I can sleep easy knowing that the siren I'm hearing is someone else's alarm going off...

There is no way the 2.5L CX-5 does a 0-60 in 7.2. That is just silly. Wonder where they got that number. It would be nice if it could do an 8.2

Car & Driver review was good. It is interesting they chose to drive it in Austin. I don't know if it is true, the Mazda dealer here claims that Austin is the Mazda Capital of the United States with more Mazda's per capita.

I am curious though if the Mazda sign that I saw last week on my way home from work driving on 360 was for some media event (Sign was on a street sign, had the Mazda name in official font and pointed in the direction of one of the local city parks).

I do know that there is a huge Miata/MX-5 group here.

Well, according to the recently released 2014 CX-5 review from Edmunds, that 0-60 in 7.2 seconds figure comes from Mazda. That is what they are claiming for the FWD version. They are claiming 7.8 for the AWD. Hard to believe. I'm not aware of any other vehicles in this class, with similar engines, doing under 8.0. I believe the CR-V with an engine rated at almost exactly the same power has tested at 9.0 to 9.2 on the track.

Sounds like a typo or misquote by Mazda, especially if the gearing is the same per article. Although the 2.0L turbo Escape (rated at about 240 hp) can do 0-60 in about 7 seconds, not that it's a similar engine.

I can believe it may get into the 7 second range. Mine does 0-60 in 8.44 seconds on my G-tech and I've tested the G-tech at the track with my other vehicles and it actually reads slightly slower than the clocks at the track.

Back