Camshaft bolt snapped

Any ideas on how to get this out?

Attachments

• 971774FE-DC51-48AF-A2D9-CB21A4665F69.jpeg
    971774FE-DC51-48AF-A2D9-CB21A4665F69.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 117
Ok, that means it should be able to be removed much easier than if it had seized up in the bolt hole.

You drill into the bolt stub with sharp (i.e. like new), high-quality drill bits. Start with a fairly small bit and (most important), make sure that first hole is centered on the bolt stub and that the hole is as straight in as possible. A high quality center punch can be a big help to prevent the bit from wandering at the start. You want to have as much light as possible to see what you're doing, and an inspection camera might be a great help in checking how that first hole is going.

Once you have the first hole drilled centered and straight, you then drill one or possibly two larger holes. The end result is a hole large enough to accept an extractor - EZ Out is one of a number of available tools on the market. So you'll need to compare the extractor bit size to the drill bit sizes, in order to determine which combination you'll want to use. It helps to drill sample holes into scrap metal, to become familiar with the feel of how the extractor bit bites into metal. In your case, it shouldn't take much torque on the extractor tool for the bolt stub to turn out. It becomes a horrible mess if an extractor bit breaks off inside the drilled hole, but I don't believe your situation will be anywhere close to that possibility.

Some people like left-handed drill bits, but IMO it's much more important to do the drilling correctly, and I believe far more high quality regular bits are available, than the specialty ones. Go slow and check the work constantly, especially for that first hole. And you will of course need to do whatever protection and cleanup is required, in order to keep the drill shards from contaminating the engine

I think that if you take your time, you'll do fine with the extraction.

You'll need a replacement bolt of course, and you might need to buy a set if they're not sold individually. Or you can easily get replacement bolts from a U-pull junkyard, if you have one of them close to where you live.

Also, you naturally don't want a repeat of this issue again. I'm guessing that you didn't use a torque wrench to install these bolts, and if so I'd strongly urge you to buy and use one of those tools. And it's also possible for bolt breakage like this to happen (even when using a torque wrench), if there is any debris, such as oil, coolant, gunk, ... in the bolt holes. So if you didn't completely check and clean out the holes and the threads, by all means do that on your next attempt. Good luck with it!

I think that if you take your time, you'll do fine with the extraction.

You'll need a replacement bolt of course, and you might need to buy a set if they're not sold individually. Or you can easily get replacement bolts from a U-pull junkyard, if you have one of them close to where you live.

Also, you naturally don't want a repeat of this issue again. I'm guessing that you didn't use a torque wrench to install these bolts, and if so I'd strongly urge you to buy and use one of those tools. And it's also possible for bolt breakage like this to happen (even when using a torque wrench), if there is any debris, such as oil, coolant, gunk, ... in the bolt holes. So if you didn't completely check and clean out the holes and the threads, by all means do that on your next attempt. Good luck with it!
Thank you im at stores rn and it was the bolt 😂 cause I looked to the side of me where I had placed a different bolt and without me touching it it was snapped in half. This bolt I took out and placed down and later through out the day snapped by itself 😭

Back