Camber bolt install tonight, quick question

PGTBrow

:
Probe GT, Mazda 2
Ok so I have the Eibach camber bolts now and I have an alignment scheduled for Saturday. When I throw these things in tonight should I just max out the positive camber and see how it looks? I have it dropped on HRs btw.

Positive camber?

What do you wnt to accomplish?

BTW, and FWIW, you might want to mark the head of the camber bolt with a Sharpie to indicate where the 'bump' is since it will be hidden after install.

John

(Darn it. CRG beat me.)

No no no lol... I meant to say max out the bolt as much as possible to try and get the camber as close to stock as possible. Whoops thats my bad.

OK. Dropping the car will change toe and camber in the front. The change in toe is what kills the tires and can be brought back into spec during an alignment by adjusting the front tie rods. The front camber will also go slightly negative when the car is dropped (probably about 2 degrees which, as I understand it, isn't too bad). The camber bolts will pretty much correct that, if you want to remove the negative camber.

I have the Bilstein coilovers on mine and the car has been lowered about 2 inches. I aligned the car using the "string" method, which is basically a 4 wheel alignment (the front is aligned in relationship to all four wheels). Front toe was set at a slight toe-in. I measured front camber with a Craftsmen digital level and I have just under 2 degrees negative camber, which I have left (no camber bolts in place). Front tire wear has been pretty even.

John

Yea I got em put on and it def leveled out the camber, the toe is still rough but I have an appt tmrw to put on the winter tires and alignment so should be good to go. One day though imma have to do the string method on my PGT cause its waaayyy too low to be put on a rack lol.

Ok i have h&r springs and I had to get new tires within a year becuase of the negative camber. How much was the eibach camber bolt

Hi,

IMHO, Its really the toe which kills the tires. It causes the tires to go down the road at an angle and scuffs off rubber. The rubber gets scuffed off the inside edge of the tire causing it to look like the camber is doing it.

With, say 2 degrees of negative camber, the wear angle would be 2 degrees across the surface of the tire which would be almost nothing.

Take the toe out and it'll also feel like you picked up a few horsepower.

John

Last edited:
The toe was really extreme on mine after installing the H&R springs -- the shop was able to correct both the front and rear quite a bit (front especially). I thought the car handled ok and questioned if I really needed an alignment, and it turned out I really did! Car handles even better after alignment, it was well worth it to have it done and less $$ than a set of tires.

They also corrected camber and caster as correctly as possible too, and did rear adjustment they said by loosening and shifting the rear bar -- it really helps I guess when all the wheels are facing the same direction! lol

"did rear adjustment they said by loosening and shifting the rear bar "--

Eh? I'm a little lost there. Rear sway bar?

John

No, he told me he actually shifted the torsion bar -- I told him I didn't think that was possible but he said they have the right equipment to do it, and showed me the numbers before and after so it seemed legit.

I'd like to know what the before and after was on the rear, as well as what you saw him adjusting when he was working on it.

Yea I learned the hard way (see the pics in my "snow" thread in pic section). I called CS and Derrick got me em shipped for around $30 I think.

I guess he didn't change the thrust angle, looking at the printout, but:
before --
7.4mm toe;
LR3.7mm RR3.7mm
LR -1.17 camber, RR-1.76
after--
4.7mm toe;
LR2.3mm RR 2.4mm
LR-1.32 camber, RR -1.35

I didn't actually see him do the adjustment, he just told me he did...

Front went from -18.8mm toe in to -.03
LF-1.03, RF -1.08 camber
LF4.12 degrees caster, RF4.19

Car feels WAY better -- more planted in sweepers and less darty on the freeway.

I did intake and exhaust at the same time so it's hard to tell how much removing the toe did for zippiness... but it does feel like it coasts easier.

Latest posts

Back